Any Suggestions for a Name?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Any Suggestions for a Name?

Post by waltsweet »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been working on the design of a new flute for quite some time, 25 years all told (not steady). It's my Boehm Flute in F above C (or G above D, if you prefer). This SuperFlute can be classified as a Treble Flute. Twenty years ago, I completed one in wood, but it had issues. The new one will be in metal, but with taller toneholes for that wood-flute tone we know and love; the Irish-cut blowhole will help, too. Fingering will be full Boehm System so I can play the contradance (fiddle) repertoire, anything from The Banks in Eb to Calliope House in E as long as I add one sharp to the key signature. The flute would easily match violin's low G; violin's high B would be only partway up the flute's 3rd octave, where there is still a mellow tone with good projection. Yes, I'm trying to get the best of both worlds, and hope to have something to show for my efforts in March.

I tried "DOLCE," a spin off my name, but that was taken by Pearl Flutes. Maybe I should continue my tour of the Counties of Ireland. Some friends suggested "MELODIA" or "FLUTE HARMONIQUE;" these are organ stops. Othere ideas are "SONOROUS" and "CLARABELLA." Jem suggested "MELYS," the Welsh word for Sweet, and from there we had Melissa, Melysant, Millicent and Melyscent. "MELYSANDER" could be argued to mean, 'sweet like a palisander flute with a manly presence.' Melysonorous?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Walt Sweet
http://wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php
MTGuru

Re: Any Suggestions for a Name?

Post by MTGuru »

waltsweet wrote:"CLARABELLA." ,, "MELYSANDER"
Clarabella sounds like a clown. Melysander sounds like a mealy sander.

How about Deuce? It's your new flute, Flute 2.0. It's a play* on the French "douce", meaning ... sweet. And less likely to be mispronounced as "douche". Which just means shower, of course. :-)

* Works better in American speech than in British phonolects with the epenthetic y-glide ("dyoose") or full palatalization ("juice"). But still a clear enough pun, I think.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Is tootsweet still under copyright?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ghicken
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ghicken »

It's two in the morning, I can't sleep, and I'm playing my SHANNON. Right now my silly mind is thinking 'FLITE' or 'FLYTE', sort of like a light flute.
Gary
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Liffy?
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Tootsweet? I'll get on it right away.
y-nought
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by y-nought »

Dulce gets around the fact that Dolce has been used. And there are forms like Dulcet or Dulcetta.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

An Efflute would be cool, seeing as it's an F flute.

but Effin-Flute would be a bit saucy for some. ;)

congrats, btw, walt...pretty nifty invention an instrument system that works for you.

:thumbsup:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

y-nought wrote:Dulcetta.
Seems like there was a Dulcetta Banjo.

Can't wait to see what the new flute looks like.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Dulcet
... was used as a brand-name on bakelite-type recorders from Rose, Morris and Co. Ltd., London
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Sounds like a really cool flute. Just a thought for a name: Skylark, since it'll probably be a pretty chirpy little thing.
MarkusT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MarkusT »

I like Jems suggestion, Melys.
It's nice, clever and easy to remember.

ps. A student of mine brought one of your flutes to a lesson, the "Shannon", I believe.
Wow! I was really impressed by it!

Cheers
Jonas T Larsson

Post by Jonas T Larsson »

waltsweet wrote:Flute in F above C (or G above D, if you prefer).
It's sounds a lot like "I before E except after C". :-) But making an acronym like FaCoGaD would make a terrible name though :-)

Since its a Perfect fourth above the regular flute it would be fun to make a play out of that. But again names like "Perfor", "P4" etc sounds a lot more like labels on drywall panels... Going latin with Quartus might be a bit better.

And btw, I am MarkusTs student with the Shannon. Since I am a total flute beginner I do not have much to compare with, but I do like it a lot indeed. Easy to blow, strong tone, well in tune. Looking forward to develop on it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Not that I can see anybody actually saying this directly, but it looks like there are maybe some people who think that a G treble Boehm system flute hasn't been done before. Actually, it's a standard, if slightly rare, orchestral instrument. It's called a G treble flute. According to Wiki, they are used extensively in Boehm system, silver flute, marching bands in Northern Ireland and Scotland, but I wouldn't know about that, personally. They're certainly used in flute choirs in Gloucestershire, to my personal knowledge.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

The Treble flutes have indeed been done before; I saw them in Northern Ireland, and I should make the trip to the Finger Lakes in NY to try my friend's examples. Mine is one whole tone lower, and I will be incorporating some "woodflute" construction features. With a flute of this key (a tempered fourth higher), I think that the playing will be easier by adding one sharp to everything, as opposed to one flat. Besides, to match violin's low G, I wanted to do it with "6 fingers down (fingering a D)," rather than having to use the right pinky (as would be necessary on the standard treble flute). The instrument of lower pitch would be one step more flutelike, and less piccolo-like.

My wife has given preliminary approval to "DULCETTA".