Why F?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Why F?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Low F whistles seem to get played a lot in the pro whistling world. I know a lot of people just like the key, but are there other reasons for using one? For example, is F an easy key for other instruments to play, or is it just that the whistler says, "I'm playing in F," and everyone else grumbles and bend over backwards to accommodate (which I can see happening in instances where the whistle is to be featured, or if the whistler is a jerk).
Last edited by AngelicBeaver on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Feadoggie

Re: Why F?

Post by Feadoggie »

My take on the subject is that the sudden popularity of the low F whistle ten years ago or more was the result of a conspiracy between a certain instrumental group that had three members who were capable whistle players and a certain whistle maker (maybe two) in order to boost sales of their low F whistles. Sure enough the sheep followed their lead.

I'm on the fence as to whether an Internet whistle journalist may have provided support to the scheme.

:lol:

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

:) Yep. That's the sheer lunasacy that is to blame!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Low F is a great key. It is low, but not too low. I think it's right in that sweet spot that sounds very nice.

However, I propose we switch to low E, as the new most common uncommon key . (maybe just becuase I love my low E burke a LOT..)

Low E has the same type of quality as low F, in my opinion... but unlike low F, is actually useful even when you are not playing with other low F whistler. As in, any A major tune.

So low E has the same type sound, and has actual practical use outside of those cases where people want to play low F's. So.. why low F, and not low E?

Please, let's start a low E trend.

Great video by the way.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

If I remember correctly, Kevin Crawford once had a complete set of whistles made by Michael Grinter that he was extremely fond of. All of them except the low F were stolen. It's that low F Grinter he plays in The Last Pint. (It could be called "The Last Grinter.")

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Besides tunes, there's lots of great songs in the key of Dm , hence the low F whistle.
My singing friend (s) like to sing in Dm so the F whistle is handy!
sackbut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sackbut »

I use my low F whistles almost exclusively for harmony parts, tunes in F, Dm, Bflat & Gm. Some examples: Spel-Gulles Polska, Mr Beveridge's Maggot, Tanz Yidelech, Branle de la Torche, Mary Maudlin Dance, Amazonians' Masque...
There are loads of tunes in the relevant keys in Playford, Praetorius, etc; and quite a few in the Scottish tradition.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Because it plays easily in Gm (fingering as if Em on a D whistle), Bb (as if G), C (as if A), Dm (as if Bm), and of course F (as if D on the whistle).

Might be handy for a few tunes if the fiddles and concertinas turn against you. Better off with a C whistle for C and Dm though. Then again if everyone decides to play in F and Bb for a while it might be a subtle hint :wink:

Sounds lovely too of course in it's own right.
Mark
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

I play in quite a few sessions and on the whole most of what is played is in G or D. But unless I take my harmonica's I miss out on quite a lot of traditional, Breton, Canadian, Australian and English folk songs.

I will be looking to get a decent F Whistle but , having just forked out for a decent Low D (Garvie) it will have to wait.

I did attempt to make one using Guido's plans but to date not with much success.

Ian
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Us Illuminati have never had a secret chamber with a secret passageway that required a secret song played in the Key of F to unlock.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Narsoron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Narsoron »

Haven't had too much experience in the matter but I just got a Susato Low F for Christmas and I think that part of it is it's just so much fun to play. I think they had it right, it just seems to hit that sweet spot.
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door; you step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Abell Soprano D/C Whistle
Colin Goldie Low D
Generation D/Eb/F
Susato Mezzo A/Low F
DavidSchulz

Post by DavidSchulz »

I perform with an Irish Tenor and almost all the songs he sings are in F and it's relative keys.. I also have a sneaky suspicion that he indeed is Illuminati!
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I got a really good answer to the "F" question from Kevin Crawford, but am waiting for his approval to post it to the forum - more later, hopefully...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I thought it was a good key for accompanying vocalists.