Beyond the irish music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kypfer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Beyond the irish music

Post by Kypfer »

I'm pretty sure that he is not actually playing the melody in this video...looks like he's faking it...
... maybe ... the video/audio synchronisation is fairly poor throughout the video, just check the percussionist for example, even the voice doesn't synch with the face on occaision, like it was one of those terrible mimed "live" studio productions that were so prevalent then, but it could just be poor post-production editing.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Tor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tor »

All videos are 'fake' in the sense that the music you hear isn't coming from the musicians pretending to play. The music is always from a studio recording, except for pure live concert videos, but those are not "music videos" in the normal sense (and there are lots of fake "live" recordings too.. going all the way back to Top of the Pops.. aargh, horrible).
So even when you have a "video" of a band playing in what looks like a studio what you hear isn't what was played.

I thought that was obvious really.. that's always how it has been done and that's how it still is.

-Tor
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Tor...you are right obviously....I wonder does anyone know if it was Ian that did the recordings on the whistle or someone else...to me, he didn't look comfortable with the whistle in his hands at all...
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I plan on using it in a cover of Pink Floyd's On The Turning Away, if I ever get around to it ('cause the tune reminds me of Barbara Allen in spots).

Always meant to add it to the intro of my cover of Stairway, too-- mostly 'cause it's been so long since I've played recorder that I don't really remember how, and not in the mood to re-learn... (what, me lazy? i know. Pathetic.)

Tor wrote:All videos are 'fake' in the sense that the music you hear isn't coming from the musicians pretending to play. The music is always from a studio recording, except for pure live concert videos, but those are not "music videos" in the normal sense (and there are lots of fake "live" recordings too.. going all the way back to Top of the Pops.. aargh, horrible).
So even when you have a "video" of a band playing in what looks like a studio what you hear isn't what was played.

I thought that was obvious really.. that's always how it has been done and that's how it still is.

-Tor
True. I'm still sort of disappointed that the music in the video of Where The Streets Have No Name is from the studio, but I know, I know, it had to be...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
ghicken
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ghicken »

whistle1000 wrote:I wonder does anyone know if it was Ian that did the recordings on the whistle or someone else...to me, he didn't look comfortable with the whistle in his hands at all...
The CDs I mentioned previously didn't have liner notes when I bought them so I found this on the Ian Anderson Wikipedia page:
Anderson plays several other musical instruments, including acoustic and electric guitar,[2] bass, bouzouki, balalaika, saxophone, harmonica, and a variety of whistles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Anderson
Gary

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's been a few years, maybe it's time to introduce a new generation of whistlers to John Coltrane's penny whistle escapades?

[Click image]
My brain hurts

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It's been a few years, maybe it's time to introduce a new generation of whistlers to John Coltrane's penny whistle escapades?
Hey, it's only January 21st.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

But it's earlier on the east side of the Atlantic....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I believe the solos in Tull's tracks "Broadford Bazaar" and "Truck Stop Runner" (from the Nightcap CD) are whistle as well -- at least I don't have any problems playing along on D whistle and the sound seems right.

If you're including low whistle in the quest, Tyler Duncan's playing with Millish and Olllam are worth checking out -- great playing, for the most part only vaguely "Celtic".
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I don't play Irish Music but I play a bit of everything else on my whistles, flutes, ocarina, and harmonica. American Folk, Hymns, Classical, Classical Rock, Jazz Standards. I did have a bamboo flute that rocked on Jazz Standards because it had large holes and I could slide my finger across the hole for accidentals really well but I gave that flute to my Godson. Sometimes it blends in really well with other instruments and sometimes it gives songs a new sound.

I would really, really, like someone to do the REAL "Immigrant Song" on the whistle and not that IMPOSTER that everyone posts. Tricks me every time dammit.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Personally, I really like playing some of Tom Petty's backup lines on the whistle during a jam. Playing on the whistle what Mike Campbell does for Learning To Fly fits really, really well.
Slytherin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Slytherin »

Thank you all for ur answers :D That's exactly what I was looking for :) !
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

on the rock note....I also played with a local Celtic Rock group, Fairhaven....I "wrote" a bit of and adapted a version of Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train"....basically the exact first part of the tune and added a B part...the boys are still rocking that set....I used to play it on an E whistle as that's what the boys started out playing it in....pretty good....I've also arranged a trad. version of "The Hustle"...I did say I was hardcore trad. but as with any musician, I'd imagine, we'd appreciate all kinds of music...as this thread shows...on that note...Thank you Mr.Gumby for Coltrane!!...awesome story...
walrii

Post by walrii »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It's been a few years, maybe it's time to introduce a new generation of whistlers to John Coltrane's penny whistle escapades?
That would be his "Brooklyn Bridge" CD, no?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Seosamh

Post by Seosamh »

I play it in various types of Celtic music, outside of Irish. I play Scottish, Breton, Welsh and Nova Scotian tunes.
Oran do Cheap Breatainn and Cape Breton Dream are some N.S. tunes that I play on the tin whistle.