What would be a good outdoor whistle? (up to about $200-$250

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmeshi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What would be a good outdoor whistle? (up to about $200-$250

Post by jmeshi »

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a soprano (preferably D) whistle that I can play with friends on the street.

It should be fairly loud, wind resistant, and, of course, well built and well tuned.
Preferably, it should also have a nice sound in the both the low and high range.

My budget is around $200, though I can go a bit over for a really good fit.

Thanks in advance!

Joel
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: What would be a good outdoor whistle? (up to about $200-$250

Post by ecohawk »

Parks has several PVC/Polymer models and wil be your lowest cost for an excellent whistle. Well under your budget.
Tommy Dion makes really nice PVC/Polymer models for slightly more.
Milligan makes great whistles in both delrin or dymonwood in your price range
Busman makes incredible whistles in delrin or dymonwood for slightly more.

There are others but I'm not remembering them right now.

Actually, any whistle made can be played outside as long as it's not raining. I imagine all of us play our instruments outside. Those listed above are synthetic so they would be more weather resistant. Wind resistance is difficult to measure since it doesn't come up much. I'd guess the Parks would be good for this. The Wander Whistler has a website where he rates instruments for wind resistance. You might check there.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The Susato S-bore D is a fine outdoor whistle. Weatherproof, sturdy ABS plastic. Loud, outdoor sound. Tuneable, and in tune. Wind resistant - I tested it once by playing into a fan. Less temperature sensitive than metal, not prone to cracking like wood. $43 from the maker.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I will second MTGuru's recommendation of a susato. since it is quite a bit cheaper than your too price, go mad and get the kildare model engraved with celtic knotwork and your name. :-)

I play a susato kildare in D out at our renaissance festival and it is the perfect outdoor whistle.

Eric
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Lots of good suggestions to consider so far.

I've used a Kildare S-series D for the combat duty situations for many years. One characteristic, beyond what has been mentioned already, that makes it work for me is that I can rotate the head to keep the window out of the wind when necessary. (That's also true of many whistles.) But I'll third MTGuru's suggestion of a Kildare S-series.

I have also been impressed with the newer Susato Oriole model whistle. I've got Orioles in a couple of keys now. They retain the good characteristics of the Kildare S-series whistles (volume, tone, tuning, weather resistance) but at a price of under $20 direct from the maker. While I have not used it in gale force winds yet, I expect it will be as equally useful as my trusty Kildares.

http://www.susato.com/konakart/Pennywhi ... 3_-1_11.do

The only part of these whistles that needs to be protected from hazards is the edge of the labium. It is thin and sharp and can be deformed with little force. I've nicked a couple but sometimes that just adds character to the tone of the whistle.

You can still buy a Busman or a Millligan with the money you save anyway.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Why do I always forget Susato? I clearly need therapy :boggle:. I think it's because when I was doing my early research I kept reading about how loud they are and that made me a little shy about them. Of course since then I've bought some of the loudest whistles made and they are among my favorites. Sorry for the momentary digression. Definitely put this in the mix.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Definitely susato, no point wasting money on anything more expensive.

One winter's afternoon a few years ago I went for a quick walk up the Cliffs of Moher. Michael Galvin, who is one of the people busking there often, was playing a Susato at the entrance of the Cliffs, just past the visitor centre. Walking southward along the cliff edge I could still hear him play and hear what tune he was playing well over a half a mile away). A gale from the north may have helped carry the sound though.
My brain hurts

Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

PM Sent.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Susato is probably the answer, though in strong hot sun I found the black ones to have terrible tuning problems. White ones should be better.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

bogman wrote:Susato is probably the answer, though in strong hot sun I found the black ones to have terrible tuning problems. White ones should be better.
Hmmm? I've never noticed any temperature issues with the black ones playing year round out of doors from Florida (and it does get hot there) to Maine. What exactly is the tuning problem you've had? Might it be a humidity issue? Inquiring minds want to know.

Susato presently offers the Kildares in both black and their reddish brown color. I think the ivory color is now reserved for laser engraved models which adds about $20 to the purchase price. I have not run across a new Kildare whistle in white for many years. Dublins are still available in ivory AFAIK. And the Oriole is a brownish color.

I just can't think where the color would matter much in my experience.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:I just can't think where the color would matter much in my experience.
When the predator drone patrolling overhead zaps you with its anti-busking heat ray, the black ones will melt sooner, a few seconds before your hair catches fire.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jmeshi

Post by jmeshi »

Thank you, everyone, for your quick response and thorough explanations. This has been most helpful.

The votes for a Susato Kildare seem to echo unanimously!

Thanks again. What a great forum :)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:When the predator drone patrolling overhead zaps you with its anti-busking heat ray, the black ones will melt sooner, a few seconds before your hair catches fire.
The authorities are so much better funded on the west coast it would seem. :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Feadoggie wrote:The authorities are so much better funded on the west coast it would seem.
They have reason to be...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.