Whistles and Tinnitus

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistles and Tinnitus

Post by An Draighean »

I have had tinnitus and high-frequency deafness for most of my life, no doubt stemming from a misspent youth of loud motorbikes (working on them in an enclosed shop), shooting without protection, and loud rock concerts. The worst ever was a Stevie Ray Vaughn concert in a Holiday Inn motel; I couldn't hear at all for three or four days after. I have had the tinnitus for so long that my mind automatically disregards it, but if I think about (and stop to listen) it is there constantly in both ears. It had never occurred to me to determine the pitch but there is more than one I think.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
fearfeasog

Post by fearfeasog »

It's a shame that the loudness of life in general has become so detrimental to our delicate hearing apparatus. We didn't evolve to tolerate the loudness of machinery such as we find so common today. Nature didn't predict motorbikes and electric guitars, apparently.

Maybe we'll evolve in the direction of conscientiousness.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfeasog wrote:Maybe we'll evolve in the direction of conscientiousness.
Now there would be a paradox in natural selection. May it come to pass, even so. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

Raggle Taggle wrote:Are there other whistlers with any experiences with T that has worsened over time because of their playing?
I have Tinitus for more than 25 Years, constantly, there is always a sound in my ears, sometimes louder sometimes less.
There are some tones i cant hear cause of ear damage (diving accidents and barotrauma)

This may make me having problems to hear some special things sometimes;
BUT it dont make me having problems playing whistles.
AND of course, playing whistles dont make the tinitus worse, why and how should it?

BUT sometimes playing whistles, or other instruments make me have less problems with my tinitus (and other problems), because, the tinitus is always worse when i am stressed, and making music relaxes me, so it kind of cures me.
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I've had tinnitus since 1982. I also had a congenital 20% hearing loss in my left ear. In 2006 I went for a hearing test as my wife and employees were complaining that I was saying "huh" way too much. The doctor confirmed that my left ear loss was now at 30% and that both ears had a dramatic drop-off around 7Khz which explained why I had so much trouble hearing human speech since this is where most consonants are perceived.

I've been wearing top of the line hearing aids ever since and since they can be tweaked to do many things, including sending an offsetting signal which has the effect of countering the tinnitus for the most part. They also have the ability to clip noise at specific db levels so that loud noises are diminished. In a noisy environment like a restaurant or concert, I can actually comprehend human voices better than a person with normal hearing.

Of course, as I said before, they are expensive, but worth it. I play whistles in all keys for at least an hour every day and I don't often play quiet whistles. My tinnitus is no worse now than it ever was and, as was mentioned by another poster, I don't usually notice it except when someone else mentions it! One can train one's mind to ignore this but the hearing aids made the difference for me. YMMV, but I doubt it would.

Who cares what someone else thinks about protecting your hearing, health and sanity?

Good luck and Happy New Year,
ecohawk
Last edited by ecohawk on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
AbrasiveScotsman

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

When I started playing the whistle 3 years ago I found the upper octave on a soprano D uncomfortable to the ears.

Now it does not trouble me.

Either I have developed a smoother less screechy playing style, or I have partially deafened myself. Truthfully I can't say I'd noticed much difference in my hearing, so I'm leaning toward my playing improving :thumbsup: . I have a set of musicians ear plugs, but I never really remember to use them. Truthfully I was more concerned that regularly jamming things in my ears might make me more prone to ear infections, which I consider a greater threat to my hearing than whistle playing.

A few months ago I did have a nasty ear infection and when it cleared I found my hearing had noticeably worsened in my left ear. It has slowly been improving since then and I'm hoping it will return to its original levels.

Can't blame the whistle for that though.
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

I was diagnosed in 1991 with a 20% hearing loss in both ears. I had been dealing with tinitus for many years prior to finding out I had serious hearing loss. Being a firefighter at the time I didn't meet the post standard and was almost forced to retire. My loss was due to years of sirens, jakes brakes, air horns, diesel engines, chain saws, loud officers etc... Through workman's comp, I was able to get hearing aids prescribed and was required to wear them while on duty. When working an emergency I removed them and wore prescribed ear plugs. I finished my career 9 years later with my hearing no worse for wear. Nine years ago I learned to play the GHB and have been playing in a firefighter band ever since. I'd say 75% of the guys wear some form of ear protection...I wear musician ear plugs with 20db filter. I'm able to tune my pipes as well as hear all commands coming from the PM. I believe the pipes are around 110-120 db and combine that with side, tenor and bass drums and you have LOUD. I get an annual ear exam and I'm happy to say my hearing has remained stable for over 20 yrs.

Besides the big pipes, I also play the Scottish smallpipes, low and penny whistle, and just started taking UP lessons. When playing solo I don't wear my ear plugs with any of these but if I'm with others I put them on. Sometimes, especially with SSP, I'll wear my hearing aids to clearly hear the higher frequencies. Its amazing on how much brighter they sound when wearing them.

Personally I wouldn't worry about ear protection when playing the whistle but if you're in pub session the combined volume may be damaging so if you got them wear them. BTW I guess I'm used to my tinitus because it doesn't bother me unless something reminds me I have it...Now I can't get it out of my head. :swear:

Frank
fearfeasog

Post by fearfeasog »

firnatine wrote: ...BTW I guess I'm used to my tinitus because it doesn't bother me unless something reminds me I have it...Now I can't get it out of my head. :swear:

Frank
oops. sorry Frank! :puppyeyes: