2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by maki »

Welcom to the forum Whelp.
Glad to have you here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is ________, 49 years old, and in LA for 25 years now.
I've been trying to play ITM for almost two years.
Tin Whistles mostly. I've got a decent UP practice set thats going well,
but time is limited and I can't practice near enough.
I find that I can't just pick it up and play the UPs like a whistle for a couple of
minutes here and there.
Family and work come first and second, I guess.

I'm still trying to make the tunes of notes into music, currently
Over the Moors to Maggie. Its slow going for me, never was a quick learner.

No radio. But I hope to have a beginners conical flute soon.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Hi! I'm Stanton. I've been playing Irish music on whistle for about three years, been playing other things on whistle for longer than that. I got started on woodwinds in high school, when I picked up a secondhand Boehm flute to play Jethro Tull covers. I also play guitar and a bit of some other things.

I've been learning uilleann pipes on my Daye practice set when time permits, and I'm really enjoying the MK Pro low D that I got for Christmas. I also like experimenting with making my own instruments out of plumbing pipe--PVC and CPVC. I've made high and low whistles, as well as various types of flutes: transverse, quena, shakuhachi, panflute, fujara. I love tinkering with new design ideas.

The tunes that I'm working on today are The Old Bush, The Jolly Tinker, and Richard Dwyer's, which I heard and am learning from the very enjoyable Youtube playing of Ben Jaber and Zac Leger, who I believe are members of this forum. As far as instruction, I'm slowly working my way through Grey Larsen's thorough book on Irish flute and whistle. I'm still trying to smooth out the rhythm of my double cut rolls.
Last edited by stanton135 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gallenwolf

Post by gallenwolf »

Hello!
I got a whistle about a month ago (a Generation F), and since then I've acquired 2 low whistles (MK Kelpie D, Chieftain F) and 4 other whistles (Generation Bb, 2 Feadog Ds and the Generation F) :)
I've also discovered the world of irish traditional music, and recently recorded the Star of the County Down. I hope to learn more :)
AbrasiveScotsman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

gallenwolf wrote:Hello!
I got a whistle about a month ago (a Generation F), and since then I've acquired 2 low whistles (MK Kelpie D, Chieftain F) and 4 other whistles (Generation Bb, 2 Feadog Ds and the Generation F) :)
I've also discovered the world of irish traditional music, and recently recorded the Star of the County Down. I hope to learn more :)
I'm very impressed with that recording, especially as you say you've only been playing a month. :thumbsup:

I've been playing about 3 years, although I've had no formal instruction and have never actually played with any other whistlers live.

I play along to my collection of North Sea Gas, The Fureys, Davy Spillane, Michael McGoldrick and Brid O'Donahue a lot, and I'll often play along with my family members who variously play guitars and mandolins.

Off the top of my head I'd say I own 15 whistles ranging from a Generations high G (which is almost impossible to play) down to a Dixon low D. This is currently my most expensive whistle which as I recall cost me 60 whole pounds! Shocking! :shock:
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

Happy New Year to you all. I'm a regular reader, rare contributor, to the site but really appreciate the wisdom from all and sundry. Ex-oboeist (I mean like 40 years ago) but took up the whistle seriously about 3 yrs ago after I lied to a bloke in the pub open-mic night that I was a regular oboe player. He kept asking me to bring my oboe along so I eventually owned up and bought an old Generation that I'd had (but rarely played) since the 70s along instead (similar fingering but less taxing on my ageing diaphragm). Now play pub gigs and sessions and have never looked back, meeting some wonderful folk on the way. Just goes to show, the odd fib here and there can have benefits! I still whip out the old oboe occasionally as it gives tunes such as "Battle of Brisbane" a somewhat baroque sound.
Curreently working on some jolly Scottish tunes for a Burns Night gig - Atholl Highlanders, Muckin' o'Geordies Byre, McFarlane o' the Sprots. Other suggestions gratefully received.

Martin
Last edited by Blower on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fearfeasog

Post by fearfeasog »

Happy and prosperous 2013 to you all.

I'm Mark, I have a Freeman Gen D, a PVC I made myself, and two Clarke Woodstocks (C and a D) as well.

Pretty much a beginner. Maybe 2 months. I'm not going to e one of those "OMG I can't believe you've only been playing three days" kind of prodigies, guaranteed. I have to work for it. Also have recently bought a Tipple flute. Kinda just..."happened."

working on The Connaughtman's Rambles, Garret Barry's, Banish Misfortune, My darling asleep. Finding other tunes float into my head as I play that I mess around with too. Really trying to get the hang of the fiddly bits. Strangely, my cranns are better than my rolls. I always thought cranns were the holy grail. Ah well. I just got Grey Larsen's book. Very Excited to start with some of the exercises.

If only there were more hours in the day, and more years in a lifetime. Great community here, thanks for being part of it all, y'all!
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi all.

Been whistling for just on 2 years. Migrated from harmonica (started 50plus years ago) due to sore lips in long sessions, Play mostly Low D's, Dixons, Susato Kildare, Kerry Songbird, waiting for a Garvie Low D in Cocobola. Have a selection of High whistles, Gen C & D, Clarke Sweetone D, Clare C, Freeman Gen Bb, Sindt A, Dixon G and various home made Low F's.

Currently working on, The Wild Geese, Scarborough Fair, Road to Lisdunvarna.

Best wishes to all on the forum
Ian
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Hi, I'm Ed and I'm a whistle-aholic.

This April will mark 2 years of playing them. Looking forward to making more too when spring rolls around again. Speaking of rolls, that's what I've been working on lately, along with Nora Criona and Rolling in the Ryegrass.
ClarkeDog

Post by ClarkeDog »

Hello, all! I've been whistling for about three weeks. Shortly before Christmas I picked up a Feadóg brass D and a Clarke Original D, along with the Ochs book and CD. I've been working my way through that in the evenings, along with figuring out a few Christmas carols and some other simple tunes, like "Happy Birthday" so I could surprise a friend with it. It's been great fun so far, and I'm looking forward to learning more tunes, developing my technique, and playing a bit of ITM along with anything else that sounds good on whistle!
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

Hello. I'm 24 (and female, because people will undoubtedly think I'm a man) from SW England. I've always been primarily an oboeist but dabbled in guitar. Waiting for my first tin whistle to arrive from amazon (was supposed to be yesterday, worked myself into a fever pitch of excitement only for it to not come!) - a green Clarke Sweetone D. I have spent the last few days obsessing over tin whistles. I hope I'm not hopelessly rubbish!
fearfeasog

Post by fearfeasog »

nimbles wrote:Hello. I'm 24 (and female, because people will undoubtedly think I'm a man) from SW England. I've always been primarily an oboeist but dabbled in guitar. Waiting for my first tin whistle to arrive from amazon (was supposed to be yesterday, worked myself into a fever pitch of excitement only for it to not come!) - a green Clarke Sweetone D. I have spent the last few days obsessing over tin whistles. I hope I'm not hopelessly rubbish!
I don't believe obsessing over something as incredibly cool as tin whistles (or any other musical instrument, for that matter) could possibly make anyone rubbish. (hope i'm using the term correctly--I'm a yank).
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

Haha. I just hope it lives up to my excitement, or rather that I, with it, can live up to my excitement!
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi Nimbles, enjoy the journey, you'll love it. Regular pub session in Exeter if you're anywhere near there
Mark
onebumnote

Post by onebumnote »

Hi. and Happy new year to all..
My name is Phil from Wales. Iv'e been playing about a year
mostly slower tunes.. I had the Bill Ochs book for a xmas pressy
as you can see....
Tunes..
The Quaker's Wife.
Tarmon's Polka.
Tralee Jail.
Nora Criona.
The Parting Glass.
The Twisting of the Hayrope.
If i can sort out my rhythm & timing i'll be happy... BYE..
nimbles

Post by nimbles »

Thanks MarkP - Exeter's a bit far but I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever in the area. I'm in Somerset. :)