The G&A Flute YT Thread Thread

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The G&A Flute YT Thread Thread

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The notion that the difference between an accomplished player and a struggling learner is merely one of taste is at best misguided.
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jim stone wrote:I’ve not asked for clarification from the staff.
Oh but you have, in effect, by throwing down the UPPERCASE gantlet of:
Barring A POLICY DECISION
And that's OK. The glove has been retrieved, and we have sniffed it.

The policy consensus of the moderators is that, in their respective forums, the YouTube thread should be reserved mainly for posting third-party video examples of outstanding, well-executed, stylistically and technically instructive playing that one encounters online. A reference resource, as it were.

The other Clips thread is intended as the usual place for members' own contributions.

We're not going to spell out a labyrinth of rules and exceptions. Just use common sense. If e.g. Kevin Crawford (a Chiff member) posts his own YT thread clip, that's fine. If you're not sure where to post yours, use the Clips thread. If you're wrong, we'll probably move it.

A couple of wee points:

o No, there's no automatic assumption that posting a Clips clip is a request for critique, though commentary is certainly OK in either thread.

o The distinction between audio and video clips is probably less relevant now than it once was, but we'll leave the thread titles stand for now as a matter of suggested emphasis.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK. Happy New Year, JIm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:The glove has been retrieved, and we have sniffed it.
That was a rather earthy analogy, I must say.
MTGuru wrote:If e.g. Kevin Crawford (a Chiff member) posts his own YT thread clip, that's fine.
Were he to post his own in tG&AYTT, I would still find it awkward for it risking looking vaunty of him. I suppose it would have to be all in the presentation.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:The glove has been retrieved, and we have sniffed it.
That was a rather earthy analogy, I must say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSAumt6YF4

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ohhhh, that. Yeah, I have to admit that after all this time I've never watched it yet. Mockumentaries don't pique my interest, for some reason. Peasant that I am... :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

This thread can't be just about the players, it's also a good resource to hear flutes from different makers played by different players. That's my perspective. I've posted videos in that thread of other players and I've posted some of me. When I've posted I always try to give the flute prominence. Tone rather than performance.

H
Holmes Mooney & Wood play; The Laird Of McNabb - http://www.box.net/shared/5tx0jxtd7cbbgjfsjkp0 (Holmes McNaughton D Blackwood eight key).
http://youtu.be/zrNs33H7uxY Cuig Emag reel - How Sweet The Name of Peggy..
http://www.box.com/s/fvvfmefsrommgx7084zg B min Jig D 8 Key
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Holmes wrote:This thread can't be just about the players
No one said it is. It's about the performance and all that that entails. I doubt, in general, that a poor performance on the best of instruments is of much interest to anyone. :wink:

Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

MTGuru wrote:
I doubt, in general, that a poor performance on the best of instruments is of much interest to anyone. :wink:
I think you should apply this standard to the links that people include in their signatures!
H

Holmes Mooney & Wood play; The Laird Of McNabb - http://www.box.net/shared/5tx0jxtd7cbbgjfsjkp0 (Holmes McNaughton D Blackwood eight key).
http://youtu.be/zrNs33H7uxY Cuig Emag reel - How Sweet The Name of Peggy..
http://www.box.com/s/fvvfmefsrommgx7084zg B min Jig D 8 Key
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Holmes wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
I doubt, in general, that a poor performance on the best of instruments is of much interest to anyone. :wink:
I think you should apply this standard to the links that people include in their signatures!
H
I feel your pain Holmes. :wink: However, this is probably taking it a little far. We've tended to be relaxed about what people put in their signatures - you don't have to click on them, after all - unless material is actually offensive, as has happened on several occasions in the past. But, by and large, people tend to be reasonably grown up about such things.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Holmes wrote:I think you should apply this standard to the links that people include in their signatures!
I'll infer a smiley face at the end of that. :-)

Seriously, it's apples and oranges. Personal clips in signatures are examples of one's playing, nothing more or less. There's no presumption of quality, except that people would presumably want to put their best foot forward. And in fact, we generally welcome them as a part of presenting who you are and how you play, regardless of level.

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Non-[video examples of outstanding, well-executed, stylistically and technically instructive playing] needn't be
poor playing. There were a good number of us posting our own videos on the video thread and generally it wasn't
poor playing, though generally it wasn't outstanding, either. And in some cases it did show some interesting things about the instruments played. I'll post examples here if people want. You don't need outstanding
playing to do that.

My understanding is that a lot of people basically want a library of first-rate playing and wish to keep it to that. The mods concur. Fine. And there's no question that the work that is now excluded usually didn't qualify as that. There's some objectivity here and it isn't personal.

Shall we leave it at that? Propose we do. Or else this business becomes
more subjective and and a lot less pleasant.

This would be a good time to move on, I submit.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jim,
you've come along way in your playing, keep it up. maybe you could create a signature line at the bottom of your posts to include links to your youtube channel. that way we can stay abreast of your playing through your signature and you can keep it updated to document the progress.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I think we should have a "Hopelessly Struggling and Suffering Miserably" thread. That way on the off-chance that I get really pished one night and my inhibition levels drop to some heretofore unseen low levels, I'll have a place to post a clip.

Cheers,

Kirk
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Kirk B wrote:I think we should have a "Hopelessly Struggling and Suffering Miserably" thread.
What? You can't take my word for it?