So, what does your screen name mean?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Well, there was this freshman girl in college named Robin. Every guy on campus wanted to date her in a bad way, but she had a boyfriend back home. So, I became her "big brother" to ward off all the unwanted suitors, and we went everywhere together.

That was the year that Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves came out, and one night at dinner someone in our circle of friends remarked, "Hey look! It's Robin and Little John!" The name stuck, and now everyone in Nashville knows me as Little John.

I added the "Gael" part for two reasons: 1)I love celtic music; and 2)waaaaay too many people have "Little John" as a screenname/e-mail address. I had to set myself apart.

I changed my celtic bird avatar because it looked much better in it's original size, but my wife thought it looked like an evil owl. 'Course, Weekenders pointed out that it looked much more like a bat with a skull for a head, but I did ask for honesty on that one (See: Show Off Your Avatar thread for context). :D

Little John
elendil

Post by elendil »

From "The A - Z of Tolkien":

"The 'Akallabeth' tells how when the Numenoreans foolishly went to war against the Powers of Arda in the Undying Lands, all their country was cast down and destroyed. However, before the Downfall, nine ship sailed away from that doomed land. These were the ships of the Elendili, the 'faithful', and the Elf friends, who repudiated the ways of the Numenoreans and sailed to Middle-Earth. There Elendil the Tall and his two sons made the kingdoms of the Dunedain in the North in Arnor and in the South in Gondor."

Well, I'd be lying if I said I were tall.
Elerossë

Post by Elerossë »

My username, Elerossë, is in Quenya, an Elvish dialect. (Strange, how many Tolkien fans are on the board)

I love the night sky, and water, so I decided to have a username that had both in it. Elerossë translates into "Star-Foam". The mental picture I had of 'star foam' is the Milky Way rolling into a beach of clouds.

Kaitlin
I Râd ui-renia lim a lim
dad od annon ial heriant.
Si palan-'wenniel nâ Râd,
a boe anim bo den padad,
aphadol den na-dail verai,
na-den ten ertha râd annaer
ias raith a lynd lim gevedir.
A na-man hi? Ú-bedithon.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Very cool how many Elvish usernames people have.

Mine is in the Quenyan dialect too. :)

PS, what's that in elvish in your siggy, Elerossë?? (at least, I think it's elvish...)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

Well let's see. I didn't make up my handle. The duck comes from a cartoon pirate duck I draw named Victor (see avatar). The entire name was suggested by a friend. I started using it simply because I thought it was cool and it's never taken.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

It's not that I'm boring, but that it's really hard for me to remember that <i>GooselippedWhistler</i> is really <i>Ed</i> or <i>§1612</i> is really <i>The Whistler Formerly Known As Dale who was first reincarnated in 1612</i>. My quickly unwrinkling brain can no longer handle such details especially when there are so many active posters.

I do, in some cases use real fake names...

<b>auld_reeky</b> I get from where the first Son of Alice and his family left the MacDonald clan in the Scottish highlands and settled around what became Edinburgh. It's one of many spellings to describe the city's stench during the plagues which ravaged Europe. Some day I hope to be retiring around Edinburgh!!

<b>one_dead_toad</b> comes from hitchhiking the backroads of Missouri. You know how after a good rain all the worms come out onto the pavement and then when the water dries out so do they??? Well, in Missouri it was millions of toads! The cars would run them over in the rain and then they would dry perfectly flat. When a toad was paper-thin you just knew that "that was one dead toad".
<br>
<br>
<br>
Zubivka

Of bisons, mooses and Peruvian llamas....

Post by Zubivka »

Nothing much creative originally. Zubivka is the name of a sort of low whistle in central Ukraine, with a window pointing down. The word just indicates that it's played "with the teeth".

The really creative part came from Serpent here, who started calling me Zoob, with this very American way for shortening any word over two syllables, and also transcribing the correct English pronunciation, too.

So Zoob stuck to me. Aptly, it would mean just "Tooth" back in Ukrayïna. Being "toothy"--Zubastyj--is what? hard-biting? :roll:

Some mentioned to me in PM that Zoob is Booz in reverse; I deny this disinformation probably spread by Fox TV in its French-bashing ;) I'll get even with Murdock... Here is my official denial: "Zubivka has nothing to do with Zubrovka, the bison-herb vodka popular from Poland eastwards.
I prefer Pertsovka, the red hot-pepper flavored horilka* of Ukraine."
* vodka is Russian, wodka is Polish, horilka is Ukrainian.

Now a zubr is the European bison, the one now used to repopulate America after the extermination of the NA bison by the White man. To my knowledge, I may have tried but did not really help to repopulate America... or never got invited me to the christening. :oops:

To the French or Arab speaking I also formally deny that Zoob could have anything to do with "zob" with an extra ball--same player shoots again. I'm much too well-behaved.

Finally, for those who ask, my avatar is a very-much stylized Zubr, but my shrink says it relates to the Peruvian llama ;)
It's true: I read it on Internet.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

In Welsh, aderyn is bird and du is black... hence my username means blackbird. Yes, I switched from just being "bird". :-P Some say that the blackbird's song leads to a place of enchantment where we can discover our inner selves and learn about the world around us. Plus, they have a beautiful little voice and I'm hoping it will rub off on me. ;-)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Back about a hundred years ago, when radios were full of pretty glowing things called tubes and television was only seen in futuristic sicence displays, my grandfather's favorite program was "Duffy's Tavern" The story line featured everyone from 'Archy', the bar tender to 'Mrs Duffy'. Duffy was never heard on the air. I was my grandfathers shadow 24/7. He told everyone I was 'Duffy' and was never on the air because I wouldn't leave his side.

Thank's to an administrator allowed name change, I now have my identity back. (fromerly and still mrlester)
Last edited by Duffy on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elerossë

Post by Elerossë »

Isilwen wrote:Very cool how many Elvish usernames people have.

Mine is in the Quenyan dialect too. :)

PS, what's that in elvish in your siggy, Elerossë?? (at least, I think it's elvish...)
Yes, it is Elvish. I am not sure if it is Quenya or not. It is the first stanza of "The Road Goes Ever On"

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Yes, I am very, desperately, in love with Lord of the Rings. :) (And Elves!)

Kaitlin
I Râd ui-renia lim a lim
dad od annon ial heriant.
Si palan-'wenniel nâ Râd,
a boe anim bo den padad,
aphadol den na-dail verai,
na-den ten ertha râd annaer
ias raith a lynd lim gevedir.
A na-man hi? Ú-bedithon.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Elerossë,

I love the Elfish language in your sig, and had I gotten the link provided earlier to "your own elfish name" I probably wouldn't be Little John Gael. :lol:

I also love your avatar. I seriously considered using the same pic and photoshopping my Low D into his hands. :D

Little John
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Very cool, Elerossë. How did you translate it?

My new siggy has the first two lines from the Namárië ballad:

"Ah! Like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
Long years numberless as the wings of trees."
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Duffy wrote:Back about a hundred years ago, when radios were full of pretty glowing things called tubes and television was only seen in futuristic sicence displays, my grandfather's favorite program was "Duffy's Tavern" (fromerly and still mrslester)
Yes!! Duffy's Tavern. Sunday evening. Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Phil Harris, Jack Benny, Fred Allen and maybe some others.

"(Telephone Rings). "Duffy's Tavern where d'elite meet t'eat, Archie the manager speakin'. Duffy ain't here. (pause) Oh, hello Miss Duffy."

Just make sure your tubes don't blow out on Sunday. No stores were open.

Steve
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

:o OH NO Celtoid! you are going to be sorry because now you've got me started on my dogs.........

That avatar is my beloved skye terrier Ch. Buffalo Blackberry Blossom(named after the great fiddle tune) gaiting around the terrier group/best in show ring at Montgomery Kennel Club All Terrier Show in 1989. She'd just won Best of Breed - this is the Skye Terrier Club of America's national specialty show. She was the top winning skye bitch in the country at the time. This breed has been with me since 72 and although I no longer breed or show, I have her great,great,great, great,great grandaughter here beside me as I type. There is no finer creature in God's creation than a dog, and skyes top that list for me. Ever read Greyfriar's Bobby? The little skye who laid on his master's grave for 14 yrs after his master died, who was given the key to Edinburugh and has a statue/water fountain for horses and dogs erected in his honor outside the Greyfriars Kirkyard. Skyes really are like that, a one person dog who lives for that person.

Now you are obviously thinking of these greet herry coos....

www.highlandcattle.org

(sorry I'd post the pic but am too ignorant to know how :-?

Actually we do plan on adding a few of these to our herd in the near future.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West