Is there a knack to remembering tunes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
m muir
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Is there a knack to remembering tunes?

Post by m muir »

I've been playing for about two years now and I'm coming on pretty well. I have previously played the Highland pipes (but not any more) and now also play the scottish smallpipes. In my days of playing the Highland pipes I was told I had good fingers and I think I have taken this over to my playing of the Uilleann pipes. Indeed a few weeks ago at a Tionol I played a piece to a highly respected tutor and player who expressed some amazement that I had only been playing two years.

The one thing that I think holds me back and causes me great frustration is my inability to remember learnt tunes. Often at a session or during a practice I will try to play something which I had thought was ingrained in my memory banks (having been played by me 100 times or more before) and easily recallable only to find that it is if I'm still learning the tune and I will have forgotten some parts if not all of the tune. In contrast my peers at sessions seem to be able to play tune after tune from memory even if they have not played the tune for some time. It just comes naturally to them. I had the same problem when I was playing the Highland pipes often with detrimental consequences when playing in competitions or gigs and this may be part of the reason why I gave up. Is this down to fatigue or anxiety (I hope it is not symptomatic of something more serious!) and is there something that can be done or some mental process or system applied (CBT?) to remedy the problem?
bogman

Re: Is there a knack to remembering tunes?

Post by bogman »

A couple of things that may help....

First of all, two years is nothing at all so with all the practise in the world you still need patience.

If you've come from the highland pipes your likely to have learned most of if not all your (dance) tunes from sheet music, as is best IMO for GHB. For the rest of traditional music it's generally accepted that learning by ear is best and you should find that tunes learned by ear are much easier to remember than written music.
For sessions the spontaneity of playing whatever tune comes into your head makes for a more enjoyable experience but if you've only been playing two years then you'd be best arranging some sets of tunes, maybe in groups of three, that you know well. That takes the pressure away from public playing that can cause your brain to freeze up. Also, if someone plays a tune you know then nods for you to play one you can just play the tune you normally play in a set.

Some sessions play tunes always in the same order every week anyway, which works if you have some weaker players, but generally the better the session is the more spontaneous it's likely to be. Until you've been playing longer though there is nothing wrong with playing pre arranged sets and that should help.
Johnered66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Johnered66 »

I've the same problem. I'm almost, ALMOST about to stop the drink while I practice. Nah, whom I kidding. I've another 19 years to go, Slainte'
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I'm old enough that my mind and memory are not as flexible as they once were. The only thing that really works for me is to play through the tunes I've already learned every time I practice (every day). I don't know that many tunes by heart yet so it works for me; I suppose by the time I learn 50 tunes I'll have to split them up between days.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PhilD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by PhilD »

I don't have anything practical to suggest, but I do have simpathy. Your not alone, I suffer the same problem.
Phil Dale
soundcloud.com/philleann
"Those in power write the history, those who suffer write the songs"
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Listening to a tune repeatedly is good. This is best done alone, as you will drive others nuts if they are within earshot. Listen until you are tired of it then listen to another one. If you were raised in the tradition, many tunes will be in your head already. Lacking that, repeated listening will ingrain a tune in your memory. You should be able to hum or lilt the tune before trying to play it. Listen until the tune can easily be recalled. This can take some time at first. When enough tunes are memorized, it becomes easier to memorize new tunes. Eventually, you will be able to memorize a new tune after just a few repetitions. This is due to becoming familiar with the "language" of a tradition, in which there are some similarities in form and phrases from one tune to another within that tradition.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Don't know the answer, but I forget far more tunes than I remember. Even better is when you forget half of it. "Er.... how does the B part of that go?"
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

TheSilverSpear wrote:Don't know the answer, but I forget far more tunes than I remember. Even better is when you forget half of it. "Er.... how does the B part of that go?"
Or better yet, when you start mixing them up, playing the A part of one tune and the B part of another. You can always tell when people start to look at you in a special way.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I know a number of very good classically trained violinists who have taken up Irish music. It usually takes them a while to learn to play from memory, as opposed to sight reading. I've seen violinists reading directly from O'Neill's while they played at a session (furiously flipping through pages when the tune changes!!).

Your ability to learn and recall tunes will improve with time. 2 years is not a long time in piping.
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Try singing the tune. I've found if I can sing a tune I can usually play it, or at least major chunks of it, and by the third or fourth time through it seeps into my fingers (or back into them, depending on how long it's been since I've played it).

Also, you can sing stuff to yourself all day long whether you get to your pipes or not. Kind of handy sometimes, though people do look at you oddly in traffic!

Whoops, just saw Ted suggested the same thing. Reading is fundamental, Cath!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

how do you learn your tunes?
by notation or by ear?

i like to learn when i am half asleep, when i am very relaxed, than i remmeber easier
i also try to learn bar for bar and repeat a lot and listen a lot
anyway:
Cathy Wilde wrote:...
Also, you can sing stuff to yourself all day long .
i think this is important
to be able to "remember" a tune without concentrating
if i play from notation a hundret times, i still dont remember
but if i can sing or humm a tune while doing and concentrate into something else, than i have it "deep inside" of me, my memory, my brain, my unsconsiossness, my consiousness, my fingers, whatever ... its there

by the way, i just restarted to play guitar and there is a song i was able to play its melody and rhythm (fingerpicking) 30 years ago
i didnt play it for 25 years
and it took me maybe 3 weeks but now i can play it fluent and fast again ... i did remember it part by part even if i thought somedays that i never can remmeber it.... but our brain can do so much, its fantastic, memory is great
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:Your ability to learn and recall tunes will improve with time.
Only if you make the effort, though. It's like anything else. And how to do it? Just do it. I'm not being flip: memory's the same whatever you're memorising. If there's anything else you're already good at memorising, you already know the basic process, and that there's no magic bullet, but that repetition and a degree of dedicated attention are essential. It must be on your mind until you get it. You also know that the more you do it, the easier it gets - just as PJ suggested.

The only other "knack" I can think of would be eidetic memory, and to my knowledge you have to be born with that. The rest of us in our vast majority have to put in some work at it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nanohedron wrote:The only other "knack" I can think of would be eidetic memory, and to my knowledge you have to be born with that. The rest of us in our vast majority have to put in some work at it.
And then there's my very special personal type of neurological wiring ... I call it "idiotic memory."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

Nanohedron wrote:
PJ wrote:Your ability to learn and recall tunes will improve with time.
Only if you make the effort, though. It's like anything else. And how to do it? Just do it. I'm not being flip: memory's the same whatever you're memorising. If there's anything else you're already good at memorising, you already know the basic process, and that there's no magic bullet, but that repetition and a degree of dedicated attention are essential. It must be on your mind until you get it. You also know that the more you do it, the easier it gets - just as PJ suggested.

The only other "knack" I can think of would be eidetic memory, and to my knowledge you have to be born with that. The rest of us in our vast majority have to put in some work at it.
Ditto to this and what others have said about repetition. Listen to it over and over and over and over -- and don't try to play it until you can sing it by and to yourself. You can even make up nonsense words to help you remember the first few bars of a tune. (Right, Cathy? ;)) You have plenty of pop music evidence that this works. For example, if you're at least 35 years old I bet you can probably finish Jenny's phone number: "8-6-7..." or sing along with a whole bunch of Beatles songs, regardless of your age. How did that happen? Repetition.

I think you also have to keep in mind how different solo practice and session playing are. There are distractions: the demon of self-consciousness, other people talking, background noise in the bar, the deafening sound of other people listening to you, etc. If you are trying to start a tune all by yourself, at home, you don't have any of that, but at a session, you have to shut that all out and connect with the music. You're not practicing shutting out distractions at home, I bet, so of course it makes sense that you are not very good at it yet in public. Or, if you are trying to add a tune on to one already being played, that's even harder and needs to be practiced too. That is an incredibly difficult skill, because you have to think of the next tune while still playing the current one. And it can't really be practiced alone. I know some pipers' clubs who practice what they call the circle of death: everyone plays a jig together and then it's someone's turn to start the next jig, in time, without stopping the music, and then that person nods to someone else to start the next one, and so on. So perhaps getting together with a friend to practice tunes might help.

Finally, make sure that when you practice you are not stopping when you make a mistake. When you play with or for other people, you can't do that. Alone, practice barreling ahead even when you stumble, because keeping the energy and rhythm going will help you get through when you are on the spot.

So, basically, what you are discovering is that, alas, there is much more to it than quick fingers. Welcome to the club!!! We feel your pain.

KAD
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

All tunes have a hook. That is what the hook is for. Your hook may differ from mine.
Wake up with the tune in your head, and then it cannot help but come out.