Questions Regarding 'The Limerick Rake'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Questions Regarding 'The Limerick Rake'

Post by raindog1970 »

First, one for the language experts: what does "Agus fágaimid siúd mar atá sé" mean in English?

Second: how many songs have been written to this tune?
Here are two that I'm aware of, but I'd be interested to know if there are any others:

(1) Champion at Keeping 'em Rolling
(2) Darby O'Leary
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Nobody cares to comment on tihs?
Is "Agus fágaimid siúd mar atá sé" an Irish obscenity or something? :P
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I am no great speaker of Irish but I think it means something like "and leave it as it is". Now maybe somebody who knows will comment.
Ron
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"And let us leave that as it is" is another rendering...
Raindog, is "Limerick Rake" a name you have as an alternate for that tune? I know I've played it in the past by a different name, but unfortunately have forgotten both. I recall that I liked the tune very much...got an ABC for me to get me kickstarted again?

Best,
N
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Nanohedron wrote:"And let us leave that as it is" is another rendering...
Raindog, is "Limerick Rake" a name you have as an alternate for that tune? I know I've played it in the past by a different name, but unfortunately have forgotten both. I recall that I liked the tune very much...got an ABC for me to get me kickstarted again?

Best,
N
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if 'The Limerick Rake' is just another song written to the tune, which itself probably has a different name.
Here's an ABC I threw together because none of the versions I found were quite the same as the one I'm familiar with.

X: 1
T: The Limerick Rake
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: D
|z4zD|EGF EDE|GAB e2e|dBA AFG|
AFE D2D|EGF EDE|GAB e2e|dBG AFD|
E3 E2B|Bee efe|dBc d2d|eBA AFG|
AFE D2D|EGF EDE|GAB e2e|dBG AFD|
E3 E2z|
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

Paul Anderson

limerick rake

Post by Paul Anderson »

"And we'll leave them as we find them" is a slightly more literal translation (I knew that fainne would come in handy someday).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, Raindog. Cool chune, but not immediately familiar to me. Just goes to show that the music's the thing, and the names are secondary after all. 8)
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

This melody appears in the song, "The Limerick Rake", sung by Mick Maloney. I have it on the Green Linnet recording, Mick Maloney With Eugene O'Donnell.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

For those who would rather hear the real thing than a MIDI rendered ABC tune, I have submitted a recording of myself playing 'The Limerick Rake' to <A HREF="http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... tml">Clips & Snips</A>.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪