So, what does your screen name mean?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

So, what does your screen name mean?

Post by LimuHead »

There are lots of intriguing screen names on this board.

Here's your chance to explain why you call yourself what you do.

I'll go first.

"Limu" is Hawaiian for seaweed.

"Head" is that thing above your shoulders.

"Limu Head" is a nickname I got as a young surfer. My long hair looked like seaweed when it got wet, so my friends took to calling me Limu Head.

My hair is now short, and I doubt I could even paddle out to catch a wave, but I still like the name.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

OK, I've nothing exciting to say, but let me be the first to answer.

Screen Name- TomB

First Name- Tom
Last Name- Begins with B

I know, I know, very original :oops:

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

My name was given to me by an arrogant person named Charles, who in his ignorance assumed I was!

I'm not, but I keep the name as a sarcastic jape :twisted:

Also 'cos I forgot my first password under my name,
so I suppose there is a grain of truth in it Image
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

My name is actually an obscure reference to "The Simpsons".

Marge: Homer are you going to buy Lisa a pony?

Homer: Mmm.

Marge: Is that a yes or a no?

Homer: Ba.

Marge: Those aren't even words!

Homer: Snuh.

My uncles and I started using it whenever we forgot what we were going to say or tripped over our tongues. I've used it as an internet name since then.

A.J.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Badgers symbolize tenacity--the absolute, stubborn, darn-fool refusal to just roll over and die, no matter how large the odds. I've always admired that about them; it's a quality I tend to emulate.

And hey, I personally throw in with any animal the size of a placemat that will attack a moving pickup.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." --Calvin Coolidge

Oh, and I'm from Wyoming. Yep.
Tom
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well let's see.

The first part is my first name ...

Oh, never mind.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. This is a cool thread.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Here's the idea behind my screen name:

"Thurlowe" comes from Thurlow Weed Lieurance, my great-grandfather. He was a bandleader and composer whose main claim to faim was his work with American Plains Indians. Many of his published works used Indian melodies, including a big hit, "By The Waters of Minnetonka." Invaluable to the popularity of his music was my great-grandmother, Edna Lieurance, who was a beautiful singer and made 78 rpm recordings of his songs. The Wichita State University music library is named for him, and he has an entry in the Grove's Dictionary of Music. When I'm not at C&F, I often scour ebay for his sheet music.

Since the musical roots of my family start with him (I have a father and sister earning their livings as musicians), I decided to pay him tribute when choosing my screen name. I added an "e" to indicate that I'm female; however, it hasn't been very effective! "Thurlowna" and "Thurlette" were only suggested to me later in the chatroom by Ms. Ava (Beth).

Cara
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

My first name starts with a "D", and my middle name (by which I'm called by everyone who knows me) is "Sarah", so I'm really D. Sarah. I added the "H" in front to turn it into HD for "Hammered Dulcimer," which is my primary instrument.

I intend to get my son to use the digital camera that is part of his Lego Robotics set to take a picture of my dulcimer to use as an avatar, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sarah, a.k.a. HDSarah
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My band is named for a line in Chaucer: 'Gladly Playe Wyth Stryngs'...

A running joke started in our promo material, in that we referred to all of our names, with a 'y' replacing at least one vowel, as in pseudo-Chaucer. The followers of the band followed suit, and now lots of people associated with us use the modification, freely.

Hence, we are Byll, Eryc, Betsye, Eryn, and Crayg.

Fun, if nothing else...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Played Irish music for the last two years with a fiddler who is so busy that we could only get together on weekends. Hence, the Weekenders, which I what we call our Trio.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

"Soineanta" is Gaelic for "starry-eyed". Corny, I know, but it's true! I used it also because my AIM screen name used to be "Soineanta"Anam", starry-eyed soul. I was too lazy to think up something else. :P

Edited to add: Everybody asks how to pronounce it, so here ya go: Shin-an-ta.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

The rebl part is because I used to be a Confederate Civil War re-enactor (I don't re-enact anymore but I still have a special place in my heart for the south). It's rebl instead of rebel because I also have this name on my license plate and it had to be six letters. The RN is because, well, I am an RN.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
lauragayle
Tell us something.: I'm a musician, a music librarian, and grew up with parents who played bluegrass and gospel music. They also played old-time music and didn't know it. I love folk music -- and have tried to learn the tin whistle off and on for a while. Love the jokes here, the transcriptions, the links to tunes. What fun! So much music, so little time. :)

Post by lauragayle »

well... my first name is laura and...

yeah, not so original. when i was on irc a lot, i used to plush or plusheroo because i'm ... not fat, i'm plush! :)

but now i stick with the unoriginal...
Laura Gayle
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

"Bretton" was a name I picked for a character in an online game when I first started using the Internet (1991...hard to believe it's been over 10 years!). It was mainly based on my first name: Brett.

However, people on music related discussion boards/listservs always think it has something to do with "Breton" culture/music/dance and I've added one too many t's. I actually know very little about this.

:party:
markv

Post by markv »

Since you asked...

The previous 4 models just were not cutting it so we decided to go with the Mark 5 (V) model when it comes to message boards. The improvements are slight but tangible. There is a definite tendency for the Mark V to lurk more than post however, so there is still room for improvement.

Mark V.