One space or 2?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

After a sentence: single space or double space?

I hit the space bar twice after the end of a typed sentence.
38%
I hit the space bar once after the end of a typed sentence.
62%

Total votes: 29

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One space or 2?

Post by Dale »

Maybe you do it as at the end of this sentence. Or maybe you just put one space after a sentence. Either way, it's time for a vote.

And now I'm having a sinking feeling there's already been a poll on this sometime on C&F. But, no matter.

Dale
Denny
antispam: No

Re: One space or 2?

Post by Denny »

yeah, i seem to remember this pony trotting back an' forth at least once.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

There's nothing left that hasn't be polled.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For some reason this poll reminds me of coin operated typewriters. Not happy thoughts.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In Norn Iron we were always told "a space" at the end of a sentence, and that's the way I did it when I was typing. I only discovered the "two spaces" convention when I picked up a cheap typing course program. I can see the point depending on the font you use, and if it were a double-spaced manuscript. But my inclination would be to use one space. :)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
German Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by German Whistler »

One.
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I only use one space. Professional typograhers only use one space. In publishing lengthy manuscripts, using two spaces at end of sentences created "rivers of white" flowing thru the text, and could also effect the cost of publishing by increasing page lengths which increased paper, ink, production, etc. so it was avoided.

Typing using two spaces at end of sentences is a convention (to my understanding) used for short documents - letters - especially by secretaries and lawyers, and others without trying to place blame on anyone.

Professional typesetting has changed drastically since the individual PC, and even attitudes have changed somewhat to anything goes, any font, any size and such effecting legibility and readability. Typesetting is a lost art... or at least going extinct.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I remember I was taught two spaces between sentences. I never typed all that much because I was more into handwriting but I'm pretty sure I did do the two-spaces thing back in the day on the rare occasion I actually did type because, after all, convention is culture (and despite my rather easy acceptance of such things as Shake 'N Bake, cheap shoes, TV reruns, and utility beer, I nevertheless like to think of myself as a reasonably cultured fellow - at least in the sense of knowing the value in being able to call my entire life a guilty pleasure).

But then came the 'Net, and everything changed. After agonising and wrestling with the conflict between the black-tie spruceness of convention and the jeans-&-flannel realities of form following function, I abjectly succumbed to the latter, lying down in the muck to separate my sentences with one space in humiliation and shame. It was horrible.

I still think about it sometimes, if you can call a millisecond's time "thinking".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

kerning

nano .... milli
rather long then, innit?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I'm sure nano never cheated on a spelling test using an ink well.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I'm sure nano never cheated on a spelling test using an ink well.
You know, I do actually have a dim memory from early grade school of those (including desks with recesses for them to prevent just such spillages, but we were out in the sticks and upgrades, including the money for it, came slow), and using dip-pens. But as I recall, using pens and ink from wells wasn't the norm, but more of just a passing intro to a dying skill because one never knew but you might need to use them again one day, so knowing which end was up was a Good Thing. After all, pencils might prove to be a flash in the pan, or at least be a luxury too far should everything come crashing down (or if we were less practical, one of us might be inspired to make a living as a calligrapher some day). I always wondered, in that spirit, why we weren't taught to properly make quill and reed pens, or even ink for that matter. A gaping hole in the concept, one might think. But then one might be taking food from penwrights' and inkmakers' children's mouths.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote: . . . utility beer. . .
That's a great one! I've never heard it before, but I'll definitely be using it in the future. I definitely distinguish between the stuff I drink for volume and that which I drink for taste. I think my Christmas beer, which always makes its public debut at Thanksgiving, will be exceptional this year.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: . . . utility beer. . .
That's a great one! I've never heard it before, but I'll definitely be using it in the future. I definitely distinguish between the stuff I drink for volume and that which I drink for taste.
It definitely covers the necessary bases, doesn't it. :)

I'm not entirely sure if this is one I actually coined myself or if I got it from someone else. Either way it's caught on a tad and you occasionally hear it used around Minneapolis, to be sure. Part of my confusion about where I got it arises from the fact that usually I'm the one using it. :wink:
chas wrote:I think my Christmas beer, which always makes its public debut at Thanksgiving, will be exceptional this year.
And what delectable brew will you have for us?
Denny wrote:nano .... milli
rather long then, innit?
For a nanobrain, yes, I suppose so. But the sentences in articulating one's thoughts are still very much humongously bigger, so your time's up pretty soon all the same.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Definitely one. Two spaces made sense on monospaced typewriters, to make it easier to see a separation between sentences. And I still double space on my typewriters (I have 3). But not when "keyboarding" (ugh, an ugly term). It was a conscious and deliberate change of habit.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I can't believe so many of you guys are doing it all WRONG!!! How can you possibly only use one space after a sentence?

I think this is one of the most important topics we've ever had on this forum. It's time the world rediscovered its humanity and stopped the ugly, barbaric practice of single spacing once and for all.