I need a theremin!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

I need a theremin!

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, need is a strong word ...

But I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want one. NOW.

What should I buy? Has anyone got one they don't want? What do I need to get with it? Amp? Stand? Mike? What make, model, version, where can I buy it, what should I do with it when I have bought it and why aren't I just heading over to theremin world and asking all these questions there?

Phew! I think I'll have a little lie down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: I need a theremin!

Post by Nanohedron »

First and for the record, no one NEEDS a theremin. Ever. Especially your household, and trust me on that.

But, if you absotively posilutely are going to have one, I would suggest Lark In The Morning; after all, as they say: If you're going to knowingly eat poison, you might as well lick the plate.

I can't give you any more advice than that. Sorry. Having a Hallowe'en inspiration?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

I teach elementary music, and several of our Hallowe'en songs have theremin in the soundtrack. Oooooooo...... :o
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I've always loved electronic music. I've bought a couple of small kits from PAIA, although not the theremin.

http://www.paia.com/theremax.asp
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:First and for the record, no one NEEDS a theremin.
?? I have no idea where that came from. ?? Especially from a guy who plays the cittern. ;)

I met a local theremin maker a few years ago, but can't for the life of me remember his name, nor can I find him on the web. I got to fool around with one of his instruments, and it was a blast. In no way tuneful in (or actually, near) a beginner's hands, but still a blast. If I didn't already own several instruments I plan on learning in retirement, I'd want to learn the theremin when I retire.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

I can't help you on where to get one. I can tell you that you need some sort of amplifier for it. A guitar amp would work. I used to know someone who had one but I can't remember the brand or any really useful information like that.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Seems to me I've seen some very nice theremin kits available. Seek and ye shall find.

(Now that I've looked ... Yes, it was probably the PAiA kit I was thinking of.)

You'll also want the usual electronics - amp, maybe a mixer with EQ and FX, headphones, etc. Of course, you've already acquired all that for your fiddle now, haven't you? :poke:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dale wrote:I've always loved electronic music. I've bought a couple of small kits from PAIA, although not the theremin.

My first thought was that making the theremin would be half the fun complete with bragging rights. That site sells the thing complete or as a kit and has articles on how to change properties of the box to move the usable range. Their box also seems to have more configurations possible.

Impressive.

So do gold antennas sound warmer than brass?

Of course, If you just want the sounds there is a program for those newer cell phones.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Dale wrote:I've always loved electronic music. I've bought a couple of small kits from PAIA, although not the theremin.

Looks interesting, and thanks Dale. I, too, love electronic music. I'd go the whole hog and have an Onde Martineau if I could afford one. But I'd still want a theremin as well.

I am thinking of getting a kit. Having looked around quite a bit on the net (and having read a few threads on, although not quite been brave enough to join yet, Theremin World) I'm thinking of getting the Moog Etherwave kit. Part of my problem is that it seems as if that's just the first step. Then I would need all sorts of accoutrements and accessories. And I want them all at once. Hmmm ...
MTGuru wrote:You'll also want the usual electronics - amp, maybe a mixer with EQ and FX, headphones, etc. Of course, you've already acquired all that for your fiddle now, haven't you? :poke:
Um ... no ... but this theremin stuff has already got me realising that I am going to have to get all that stuff as well. So I'm likely to be spending nigh on a thousand dollars on electronics. And Christmas is coming.

Still, when you have a need ...
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Denny

Post by Denny »

nice find Paul! :thumbsup:
benhall.1 wrote:it seems as if that's just the first step
this is not an illusion :twisted:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

brewerpaul wrote:How bad do you want it?

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3344742848.html
Drool. That is gorgeous. Wasn't thinking of spending that sort of money. Dang ...

:puppyeyes:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:First and for the record, no one NEEDS a theremin.
?? I have no idea where that came from. ??
Why, from the thread title. Tsk.
chas wrote:Especially from a guy who plays the cittern. ;)
Which should tell you that I speak from a wealth of experience. :wink:
chas wrote:I met a local theremin maker a few years ago, but can't for the life of me remember his name, nor can I find him on the web. I got to fool around with one of his instruments, and it was a blast. In no way tuneful in (or actually, near) a beginner's hands, but still a blast. If I didn't already own several instruments I plan on learning in retirement, I'd want to learn the theremin when I retire.
I've always wanted a theremin myself, if for no other reason than as a cat toy, or to scare away the proselytisers at my door. Of course, being able to play things like The Mason's Apron at speed with full variations would be the bomb.

When I finally had a chance to try one at at The Bakken Museum, I couldn't even get a squeak out of it.
benhall.1 wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:How bad do you want it?

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3344742848.html
Drool. That is gorgeous. Wasn't thinking of spending that sort of money. Dang ...

:puppyeyes:
For around $35, you could start here: http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mkgk10.htm
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cboody

Post by cboody »

Google is your friend. Check out

http://theremin.tomfarrell.org/buyTheremin.html

For a list of models and some discussion and links to learning to play.

But please, don't bring it to the ITM sessions :lol:
cboody

Post by cboody »

check the B3 Deluxe model at 199.00 from

http://www.soundslikeburns.com

224.90 with a DVD of lessons

Being pushed by a professional player who is extremely good, and cheaper direct than through eBay.