Details on specific makers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brennen Fitzgerald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Details on specific makers

Post by Brennen Fitzgerald »

Anyone familiar with a number of makers able to PM me? I'm looking for details on a couple makers I might be able to purchase a used set by but a couple I don't know much about.
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Details on specific makers

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Brennen, welcome. I think you'll need to be more specific if you expect a reasonable response. There's a great deal of knowledge among the posters here, but not telepathy. :wink: Name the makers, and request private replies by PM or e-mail if you prefer that. Thanks! - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brennen Fitzgerald

Ah, okay some more specifics. What I was looking for was probably someone who has reeded, played, serviced (basically put your hands on) a variety of makers from both sides of the puddle. There are two half sets I'm looking at and *gasp* can't see either in person before a purchase, so was looking for a couple of opinions.
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I know a few lads who have reeded played and serviced pipes from different makers .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

There are two half sets I'm looking at and *gasp* can't see either in person before a purchase, so was looking for a couple of opinions.
Tell us who they are and we can at least PM you with some information.

Tommy
Brennen Fitzgerald

Okay, there's actually 3 now that I'm looking at.

I'm a bit of a neophyte (so please forgive me for not wanting to jump out and sound too ignorant or lazy, because I've been reading forums and opinions/reviews for almost 2 years now) and looking at finally investing in a set.

I learned from my studies that I should find a maker near me. Being in the US Midwest area, the closest is David Daye. From what I've read, his pipes are utilitarian more than anything. However, repeated attempts at contact go unanswered (as in I've failed to contact him multiple times.)

The next would be Patrick Sky. I haven't found anything really negative, but I have gotten the impression to stay away from the "budget" sets. Others have said that there seem to be some tuning issues, but that he's great at customer service, and that his turn around is great.

Finally, jumping the border here, is CJ Dixon. I've chatted with Pete Purvis and he gives a glowing review, but others complain about hard reeds, flat issues, etc. He's the longest turn around of the three (indeed his books are closed.)

I've looked at several others, but these three keep popping up. I'm not looking to start any rant/bash/etc. on a public board, which was why I was asking for the PM. I'm looking for people to be as brutally honest as they can, considering this is a savings account 5 years in the making for this one purchase.

So, thoughts?
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

If you are in the midwest, have you thought about Kirk Lynch in Weston Mo? Can't get get much more midwestern than that. www.kirklynch.com Kirk makes awesome pipes. there is also Tim Britton up in Iowa.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Also Dave Boisvert in St Paul. A fine maker.

Tommy
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

And you in St. Louis Tommy :-)
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Joe Kennedy in Ontario would be a very good choice. Tim and Steph Benson in Batavia, NY would also be good choices.
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

I can't say enough good stuff about Nick Whitmer, in Ithaca New York.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

And don't forget Bruce Childress.