Leaning in

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Leaning in

Post by Tunborough »

On another thread, regarding jemtheflute's new Jon Swayne whistle, Peter Duggan spoke of, "a flute-like ability to really lean into the notes." As someone who knows too much about what the air's doing inside the whistle, and far too little about what the player's doing outside it, I wanted to make sure I understood what he was referring to. My assumption is that he's speaking of a broad range of blowing pressure (and hence, loudness) between where the note flutters away (on the low end), and jumps to the second register (on the high end). In the second register, this would be the range between where it drops to the first register, and where it jumps to the third.

Have I got it right?

How important is it that the plateau be not just broad, but flat: that the pitch of the note doesn't change too much over the range of loudness?

How important is it that the break between registers be clean, without burbling or other uncertainty of pitch, so you can approach closer to the break?
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Leaning in

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tunborough wrote:My assumption is that he's speaking of a broad range of blowing pressure (and hence, loudness) between where the note flutters away (on the low end), and jumps to the second register (on the high end).
More or less, yes, but here I was thinking specifically of being able to colour the notes with that harmonically-rich edge (and even hints of second register) that's much easier to get with a transverse flute embouchure than your average (fixed windway) whistle.
How important is it that the plateau be not just broad, but flat: that the pitch of the note doesn't change too much over the range of loudness?
Pretty vital because, while you can drive almost any whistle louder if you're prepared to go coarse and sharp, that's normally going to sound horrible!
How important is it that the break between registers be clean, without burbling or other uncertainty of pitch, so you can approach closer to the break?
Think it's got to help (and I do like whistles that break cleanly to the second register regardless of 'leanability'!) if you like the occasional little breakthrough adding to the 'colour'. But you'd need to ask Jem how the Swayne actually behaves in this respect.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Tunborough wrote:Have I got it right?
That is my understanding too.
Is that physically possible? Is the pitch not always rising when the pressure is increased, by "leaning into" a note? Being able to bend a note by varying the pressure IMO seems more important than varying the loudness. This gives the player fine pitch control.
This will make it possible not just to bend a note, but to slide cleanly between the registers, up as well as down, and eliminates the need to tongue to get the note to speak. Clean transition sliding will also mean that there is a wider range ("plateau" you called it) of pressure available (usually for the low octave notes, since the second octave notes got that anyway).
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

hans wrote:
Tunborough wrote:How important is it that the plateau be not just broad, but flat: that the pitch of the note doesn't change too much over the range of loudness?
Is that physically possible?
Not changing too much, yes (though there are obvious trade-offs depending on what you're after)... not changing at all, probably not! It's something (more expressive dynamic range with less pitch change) you get with good baroque recorders, though not so typical of (or maybe even so desirable in?) the whistle.
Is the pitch not always rising when the pressure is increased, by "leaning into" a note? Being able to bend a note by varying the pressure IMO seems more important than varying the loudness. This gives the player fine pitch control.
Well, of course there are trade-offs, which is partly why we have flutes! :wink:

Master of nine?
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

hans wrote:
Tunborough wrote:How important is it that the plateau be not just broad, but flat: that the pitch of the note doesn't change too much over the range of loudness?
Is that physically possible?
Well, no, not entirely, but I gather some instruments may be flatter than others.

Which brings me to another question ... Are there well-known design or construction principles that will lead to a cleaner break between registers, or to a flatter plateau? Or is it all held in arcane wisdom or acquired through trial and error?
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Tunborough wrote:Which brings me to another question ... Are there well-known design or construction principles that will lead to a cleaner break between registers, or to a flatter plateau? Or is it all held in arcane wisdom or acquired through trial and error?
One construction principle I arrived at through trial and error:

Smooth form creates smooth tone and smooth transitions.

IOW: cuts down on turbulence and noise.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Thanks, Hans. I suspected that would be part of it. I strive for smooth, 'though I don't always get there yet.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

hans wrote:One construction principle I arrived at through trial and error:

Smooth form creates smooth tone and smooth transitions.
Having watched Hans this afternoon working on the undersides of the holes of a whistle I'd just told him was already '95% perfect' to fine-tune their response (and testing it myself as he did it), I can only agree there! :)

Master of nine?
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Peter Duggan wrote:Having watched Hans this afternoon working ...
Where's the smilie for envy? :cry:
hans

Post by hans »

There was not much to see, really. I just tweaked some tone hole edges, using a thin rod wrapped with fine metal sanding paper, and an extra fine half-round swiss needle file, praise to the Swiss for their excellent files! But mostly I was just intently watching Peter trying out various whistles, playing them like the devil, to the extremes, and then trying to figure out the best hole offsets for his hands on some low whistles with him. Apart from his whistle playing skills he has the rare gift to put into words what he finds in a whistle, and being able to describe sound in all its nuances. I enjoyed his visit!