Finbar Furey Low Whistle Technique

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Finbar Furey Low Whistle Technique

Post by hans »

Feadoggie wrote:I can find no instance where what he is doing with the bottom hand is effecting the dynamics or pitch of the whistle when I try to do the same. Any body else?
On the Overton low G whistle closing the bottom end will raise the pitch of F# and E (C# and B in D whistle terminology). Since F# in the second octave is especially flat it may be a useful trick, especially as it is such a prominent note in the piece. You can also get a nice finger vibrato on the high E (B on D whistle) with a finger across the bottom end.

I tested this with my Overton low G (alto G, not bass low low G).
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Feadoggie wrote:
I can find no instance where what he is doing with the bottom hand is effecting the dynamics or pitch of the whistle when I try to do the same. Any body else?

On the Overton low G whistle closing the bottom end will raise the pitch of F# and E (C# and B in D whistle terminology). Since F# in the second octave is especially flat it may be a useful trick, especially as it is such a prominent note in the piece. You can also get a nice finger vibrato on the high E (B on D whistle) with a finger across the bottom end.
You're both right but I think in this case the movement in question is more visual than anything else.

Tommy
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

funny this should come up - I just noticed the other day that xoo oox is noticeably sharper than xoo ooo

on my G whistle closing the end changes the pitch and tone for second octave G, C and C# - though half holing the C as Finbar is doing pitch would seem to be not the important part - closing the end seems to not effect the second octave A or B very much.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I've seen whistlers with longer fingers than mine shade the bottom of the whistle with their little finger to get a C with all other fingers on.

I just can't reach though.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think he's just sort of holding the whistle down there, to keep the lower hand out of the way, to show the audience "see? I'm only using one hand!"

BTW from the first time I heard Lonesome Boatman I thought it was clearly derived from Andean kena playing (in melodic style, performance style, and accompaniment style) which was becoming very popular at just the time he wrote that tune.

Here's what I mean (and no, this song wasn't written in 1970!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eGnOM7YCg
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle