Whistle Question (Greensleeves)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Judy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistle Question (Greensleeves)

Post by Judy »

I am new to the tin whistle. I have both a D and a C. I am trying to play "Greensleeves" and one of the notes is "low b#" but the fingering it shows has only the top hole covered - the regular "b" so of course the sound is incorrect for the song. How do I get the "low b#" sound? How do I change octaves? Thanks... Judy
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle Question

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Judy, welcome.

Unfortunately, you're probably reading that music wrong - since, for beginner's purposes, there's no such note as B#.

What music are you using? Was it written specifically for a whistle? And which whistle, D or C?

We can also probably figure things out if you answer these 2 questions:

1. What are the first 2 notes of the melody? This are the notes that match the word "Alas" (or "What child"). The first note should also be the same as the last note of the song.

2. What is the written key signature of the song? That is, how many sharps or flats?

Get back to us with that info, and we'll take it from there ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
megapop

Re: Whistle Question (Greensleeves)

Post by megapop »

Greensleeves is usually played in A minor on the C whistle, or transposed to B minor on the D whistle (same fingering)... I think there is no other way to play it without octave folding. So what you are probably looking for is the G# (A# respectively), to get the major dominant. This can be achieved by either half-holing XHO OOO or cross fingering XOX XXO or XOX XXX... depends on the whistle.

But you'll also need the F# (G#) in the second last bar of each part, and there you have to half-hole XXH OOO.

It is melodic minor, which makes this special sound of the tune, and so some notes just are not in the diatonic scale (in contrast to natural minor). So this might be a really good occasion to practice this half-holing!
return null;
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

'Tis an interesting tune you are learning, Judy. It was first licensed as a song with not very respectful lyrics, to a guy named Richard Jones, in 1580. Some say King Henry VIII actually wrote it... His daughter Elizabeth I certainly danced to it. Shakespeare mentions the song... Traitors in England were hanged, while the music was playing in the background..

In 1865, the owner of a marine insurance company in Bristol, UK - William Chatterton Dix - published a poem called 'The Manger Child.' Three stanzas from that poem became the Christmas Carol, 'What Child Is This?,' when set to the melody of Greensleeves.

No one is quite sure whether or not the original melody used what we now refer to as the 'melodic' minor scale. Some feel that the original used the natural minor scale. In other words, whether the 6th and 7th scale steps are raised, or remain in their natural minor scale form, is up to the performer. Our band prefers the natural minor version (Aeolian mode). It is odd, and audiences react very positively to it...

Best to you in your endeavor.
Bill
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

megapop wrote:Greensleeves is usually played in A minor on the C whistle, or transposed to B minor on the D whistle (same fingering)... I think there is no other way to play it without octave folding.
No definitive answer to the best key when there are multiple variants of the tune with different inflections (eg minor or major sixth etc.), but of course there are other ways (to play it without octave folding) when you can start on a notional A or even second-octave E.
It is melodic minor
No, it's not really. More like modal/modified modal for some versions (with which mode depending largely on which version you play and the one with the major sixth being effectively modified Dorian).
so some notes just are not in the diatonic scale (in contrast to natural minor).
Note that this usage of diatonic (while making sense in the context of whistle holes) is not universally agreed.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
megapop

Post by megapop »

Byll and Peter, that wasn't meant to be kind of definite... Sorry for that... I just didn't reflect much about the different variants in traditional music, but just referred to the "standardized" version every student of the classical guitar learns at some time (as once I did). It's the only version I knew and played so far.
return null;
cboody

Post by cboody »

The tune works fine on a D whistle starting on A. Here are two versions in ABC. The first waffles about F# or F natural. We tend to play an f natural in the A section and F# in the B section (as marked) Whistles can leave out the f and adjust the rhythm, half hole for the f natural, or play the F#. It works just fine on a D whistle. The modal harmonies are just fine here also.

X:215
T:Greensleeves (Modal)
M:3/4
L:1/8
Q:250
C:First published 1580
R:Air
K:Am %Transposed from EM
A2|"Am"c4 d2|e3 f e2|"G"d4 B2|G3 A B2|
"F"c4 A2|A3 G A2|"Em"B4 G2|E4 A2|
"Am"c4 d2|e3 f e2|"G"d4 B2|G3 A B2|
c3 B A2|"Em"G3 E G2|"Am"A6|A6||
"C"g6|g3 ^f e2|"G"d4 B2|G3 A B2|
"F"c4 A2|A3 G A2|"Em"B4 G2|E6|
"C"g6|g3 ^f e2|"G"d4 B2|G3 A B2|
"F"c3 B A2|"Em"G3 E G2|"Am"A6|A4||
W:
W:F sharps can be F natural to complete the modal sound.

Here is the natural minor version ()most common outside the trad world. Now you are faced with lots of half hole work, still probably no more problem on the D whistle than the C whistle. Half holes either way.

X:1
T:Greensleeves
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:Amin
z4 z A| c2 d e3/2- f/2 e| d2 B G3/2- A/2 B| c2 A A3/2- ^G/2 A| B2 ^G E2 A|\
c2 d e3/2- f/2 e| d2 B G3/2- A/2 B| c3/2- B/2 A ^G3/2- ^F/2 G| A3 A2 z|\
g3 g3/2- ^f/2 e| d2 B G3/2- A/2- B| c2- A A3/2- ^G/2 A| B2 ^G E3|\
g3 g3/2 ^f/2 e| d2 B G3/2- A/2 B| c3/2 B/2 A ^G3/2- ^F/2 G| A3 A2 z|\
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I just hope all this info doesn't just confuse the OP Judy even more, since we don't yet know the actual problem until she gets back to us.

I'm guessing ... only guessing ... that she's looking at some kind of wind tablature, maybe whistle tab. Maybe the "B#" is a misprint. If that tablature B is the lowest note, that implies a setting in some flavor of E minor. Either starting in the 1st octave, with the B folded up. Or starting in the 2nd octave and going up to 3rd octave D, and maybe Judy didn't see the litle "+" signs in the tab that usually indicate playing up an octave.

But we'll have to wait for her response to be sure.

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Boy that ABC tab is confusing for me to look at.

Anyhow, I play What Child Is This? AKA Greensleeves in the key which would be A minor on a D whistle, but no matter what key, it requires some tricky half-holing because the leading tone alternates between sharp and flat.

So I play it, the first part

A Cnat d e f e
d B G A B
Cnat A A G# A
B G# E

A Cnat d e f e
d B G A B
Cnat B A G# F# G#
A A

it's tricky nailing those G#s.

Solving that would be to move it up to the key of Dm but now you have to half-hole all the Fnats

d fnat g a b a
g e Cnat d e
fnat d d C# d
e C# A

d fnat g a b a
g e Cnat d e
fnat e d C#B C#
d d

If I made any note errors, sorry, it's early in the morning and I'm not actually playing it on a whistle but going from memory (too early to be tooting a whistle in the house).

BTW I feel it's necessary to get the accidentals right, because that's the most outstanding characteristic of this tune IMHO, and quite typical of these Renaissance melodies. There are plenty of other tunes that don't have such accidentals in them if you don't want to play accidentals.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:Boy that ABC tab is confusing for me to look at.
Well, it's not tab(lature). It's notation. And you're not (necessarily) supposed to look at it. You're supposed to run it through your favorite ABC program to produce standard notation, and look at that. Just saying ...

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ach, Pancelticpiper, that version with G#s in the second phrase really grates on my ears, doubtless because I have a deeply, early ingrained earworm-memory of the tune. Versions with F#s in the first and third phrases of the first section/verse are just as grating for me. They sound ( I know this is personally subjective) like "classical corrections". Of course the G#s and F# in the fourth, cadential phrase are integral to all versions, and give that Renaissance feel you refer to. In the second section/chorus I go with the 2nd 8ve F#s coming down-scale from the high G, then all plain until the cadence comes again.

As for playing the G#s, most of my keyless instruments, whistles or transverse flutes, have a usable, if rather sharp, cross-fingered bottom 8ve G# with xxo xxx, so there is at least a choice, though half-holed G# is probably the easiest/least objectionable half-holed fingering if needed. The F nats have to be half-holed, of course.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:Versions with F#s in the first and third phrases of the first section/verse are just as grating for me.
And yet that's the Dorian feel I was talking about, which sounds (if you'll pardon the expression!) natural to me...

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

...sounds wrong to me if you don't play f#s ...

... and that's despite that fact that it does look, from a 5 minute net search for early versions, as if it may originally have had those fs as natural.

Don't care. I prefer the sharps. :) I shall make a point, from now on, of starting that tune frequently and always playing the fs as sharp whenever I play with Jem. :twisted:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Just dug out two 'arty' versions I used to play on recorder, with the Vaughan Williams Fantasia taking the 'Dorian' route and Greensleeves to a Ground (anon, 17th century) the 'Aeolian' (in both parts of the tune, though it avoids the sixth altogether in the first statement of the first part). But what's also interesting about the latter is starting 'off-centre' on the C chord to follow the Romanesca pattern throughout. So guess I can live with it either way, though I don't actually play it much these days except to demonstrate concepts to my music classes!

:)

Master of nine?