Tune tutorial now live

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tune tutorial now live

Post by Aodhan »

Hey all-

Just to let you know that the first five tunes are up for the tune tutorial at Gaelic Crossings. Recorded by our very own JPeepl, they are Boys of Ballisadare, Geese in the Bog, Kid on the Mountain, Si Bheag Si More and Drowsy Maggie, on both flute and whistle.

They are recorded at slow, normal and fast session speeds, and have accompanying sheet music. We will be adding about 20 more tunes over the next few weeks.

Hope you all like it!

www.gaeliccrossings.com

Aodhan
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I just fell out of my chair. :D

I can't tell you how excited I am. This is great!!! Thanks SO MUCH!

Little John
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

WoOoHoOo! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally I can hear what is the standard "normal" speed and know I have some work to do. :) A great resource!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wow! I just love stuff like this. Unfortunately it's too late at night to play along.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

It's great fun! Thanks Aodhan and JPeepl. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You are welcome! :)

I had a lot of fun recording these.

That whistle is my Oak, by the way: it is a sweet little chiffy whistle.

I am also going to be doing more recording for Aodhan...I recorded the Gravel Walk tonight but don't have it posted yet. I recorded it on Seery flute (just to be different!) and Serpent D whistle.

John, I'll have that posted probably tomorrow night. Don't give up on me: I'm still workin' on the rest!

--James
www.flutesite.com
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Just wondering if J. Peebles is trying to play so rigid on the recordings to emphasize the beats.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Just playin'. I do tend to pulse the beats...sometimes more than really works on whistle, but it's just how I play it these days.

--James
www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Thank You Thank You
This really gives me something to work with and some goals to move toward. Along a twinge of hopelessness but that will pass. I'm still working on the old goals of chewing gum and walking, riding my two wheeler, and sounding half way intelligent when I open my mouth.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

mrlester wrote:Thank You Thank You
This really gives me something to work with and some goals to move toward. Along a twinge of hopelessness but that will pass. I'm still working on the old goals of chewing gum and walking, riding my two wheeler, and sounding half way intelligent when I open my mouth.
Heh.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, it seems like keeping your mouth shut is about the most intelligent thing you can do in some of these threads... :D :lol:

Aodhan
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

michael_coleman wrote:Just wondering if J. Peebles is trying to play so rigid on the recordings to emphasize the beats.
Just wondering if "session speed" is really meant to mean "too fast".

But hat off to you both for the effort.
/Bloomfield
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Aodhan, after chatting with last night, I tried the new tune pages on your site and it was a blast. J Peeple's playing at all three speeds was quite a feet but all were done good enough to follow along.

Please Sir --- May I have more!

Looking forward to Gravel Walk, have always found the sheet music daunting.

Keep up the good work!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Bloomfield wrote:
michael_coleman wrote:Just wondering if J. Peebles is trying to play so rigid on the recordings to emphasize the beats.
Just wondering if "session speed" is really meant to mean "too fast".

But hat off to you both for the effort.
Well, I apologize if the speed offends your sensibilities, however, they are no faster than a lot of the reels, etc. played in my Wed. seisun. :D

Aodhan
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Aodhan and James,

I also think they sound too fast, or more like 'hurried' The timing is off aswell.
Do I need to say this? maybe not...but players using the sound files as a guide should be advised that these are not very good examples.

If a tune can't be played with a decent feel slowly then there is no chance of it sounding any good at a faster pace.
Playing reels etc with a good feel is very very difficult and I think shouldn't even be attempted (in a situation like your site) unless the player is well down the ITM path of musicality.

I say all this and do a similar thing on my site...that is, play Irish music like a Non Irish person. I do however take a bit more care on what I put out.

I hope you don't take offence to what I have said... good luck with your site.

Dave.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

More tunes are indeed going to be on the way.

For those who enjoy these, I have found your comments gratifying and heartwarming.

For the rest--well, folks, if you don't enjoy it I reckon the best answer is going to be don't listen.

And rest assured, my playing is not yet quite up to full speed---still a little ways to go there, methinks. :P

Best wishes to all and sundry,

--James

-------