Old Man, New Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
saintjb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Old Man, New Whistle

Post by saintjb »

I used to play the pennywhistle many years ago. But I notice now there are so many choices. I am looking to go to a higher end whistle this time around. I notice whistles made of Brass, Copper, Aluminum, Nickel, Wood, Delrin ?...sorry to sound so ignorant. But if I am looking for a very clear not breathy, loud, crisp hi D. Some suggestions would really help. I can go up to around $200 or so. I see many makers have orders out for many years, I don't want to wait like that. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, maybe I can steal a bit. Many thanks from and old guy
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Old Man, New Whistle

Post by benhall.1 »

Greetings and welcome to the forum. There are indeed a lot of knowledgeable people around here, and I hope you end up with something that's right for you.

My own suggestion would be a Generation high D, out of the box. :)
maki

Post by maki »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
There is not shortage of choices in whistles, and many of us end up with quite a pile.
The fact is you don't need to spen a great deal of money for a really good whistle.
If you want beautiful, well that can get pricey.

I love Freeman whistles and you can get them for not too much;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fre ... 4038934955
But there are many, many choices, and so many good ones!
Best of luck!
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Your request for pure / $200-ish says Burke to me.
"halfways" towards a out of the box Generation, which to me isn't really the purest out there, except maybe 'pure old school trad' i would place one of Jerry Freeman's whistles, the Bluebird ought to fit like a glove.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
krabben

Post by krabben »

I'd recommend a colin goldie high D. They are a bit more than 200$ new, but I've seen two om them being sold second hand here on the chiff forum lately.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Saintjb,
There are so many great whistles and makers to choose from. Do your research, find a maker that fits your needs, tone, playability, material, wait periods, and appearance are all considerations, especially on higher end whistles. You should also consider your own preferences for volume and tunability are both important considerations if you plan to play with others. There is also the wait ti,e consideration. There are some great makers out there that will work with you to customize a whistle to meet your specifications. Good luck with your search and have fun with it.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Old is good, saintjb. I speak from experience... Both Burke and Goldie are excellent suggestions. You say 'around $200 or so.' I would like to suggest that you also look into the creations of Paul Busman. All three of these makers will take you a bit into the 'or so' part, if you choose to purchase new... You may also wish to check out Patrick's store. He is truly a good guy...

http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Irish-Whistles_c4.htm

Best to you. Good luck in your search.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Just to make it even harder to decide i will throw in SYN as well. Absolutely excellent value at around $100 for a D/C set!
(Btw, Goldies are more like $275 + shipping.. they might well be worth it though.)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

saintjb wrote:I used to play the pennywhistle many years ago... There is a lot of knowledge on this site, maybe I can steal a bit. Many thanks from and old guy
Welcome saintjb, and the whistle forum is the right place for info. I'd suggest that you search around here first for good info on just about every whistle type available in your price range. I would also suggest that you search locally in your area for whistles so you can try one out to see if you like it. Also, most whistlemaker's (at a distance) will have some sort of "return policy" if not satisfied (not all, but some). Lastly, get a whistle in your hand and have fun! Welcome!
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

If you don't mind spending a lot less than $200, the Guido Gonzato "Low Tech" whistle that I own has a very pure, clear sound, and is louder than some other whistles I own. It's not the most visually impressive instrument, being made out of PVC conduit, but Guido has a true artist's touch for making these. I play it at sessions and people comment (favorably) on its sound.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Order a Sindt and while you're waiting get real attached to a Freeman Bluebird.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Zabava77

Post by Zabava77 »

Gene Milligan's high D is all I will ever need in high D.
Festina Lente