Geoffrey Ellis Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Geoffrey Ellis Whistles

Post by Feadoggie »

After reading a post on the flute board I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the low D whistles made by Geoffrey Ellis? They can be seen and heard here. http://www.earthtoneflutes.com/Whistles.html

These are not to be confused with the whistles by the UK maker of aluminum high whistles. http://www.elliswhistles.co.uk/default.asp

Just curious. Thanks.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: Geoffrey Ellis Whistles

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie,
I have no personal experience with these whistles and had not heard of them until reading your post. I will say this, they sure are purrrrrrrty! Soundclips sounded nice for what that's worth. They are some stunning lookers for sure. I love the look of a beautiful wooden whistle.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Geoffrey Ellis is one of the most renowned native flute makers and his flutes are played and endorsed by professional/recording artists. In the last years he started making irish flutes, xiao and now also low whistles.
Every kind of instruments made by Geoffrey is a beauty so I'm sure that also these new low whistles will be the same.
I know he is also working on high whistles.
Sorry for my bad english...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

squirrel wrote:Geoffrey Ellis is one of the most renowned native flute makers
Thanks, Squirrel. I am aware of his reputation in NAF circles. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play his low whistles? They certainly are mouth-watering eye candy but I was wondering how they actually play.

I see that Ellis credits Kevin Reams of the Piper's Grip website, medit8b1 here, with helping him prototype the whistle. So perhaps he can say more about these whistles.

They do have a derivative MK look to their design.

Feadoggie
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum as a posting member, though I've been lurking for many years. As was mentioned, I started my flute making journey with the Native American style flute, but in the last five years I've taken a strong interest in other kinds of woodwinds, and for the last three years I've been doing serious research and development around creating low whistles, Irish flutes and wooden head joints for silver flutes. The whistles were the first to be ready to launch, but the Irish flutes and head joints will be going public this fall.

I was fortunate to know some serious whistle aficionados who were able to assist me, in particular Kevin Reams. Kevin and I have known one another through the NAF community for some ten years, and I knew him to be an avid whistler with very high standards and an eye and ear for detail. I engaged him in the capacity of Ruthless Field Tester! I wanted someone who knew their way around a whistle (and who had played a wide variety of them) to play my prototypes and to be brutally honest with me about how they stacked up. His assistance proved invaluable. He was ideal for the job because he had a great, helpful attitude but I knew he wouldn't pull his punches or give me any praise that was not earned.

If they have any similarities to the work of Misha Somerville, there is a good reason for that :) They are heavily influenced by his design, and I don't mind admitting that figuring out a way to approach that sort of design using wood instead of metal was...challenging. That sounds better than "heinously difficult and frustrating", doesn't it? His work is superb and if I was going to seek inspiration from metal whistles then I doubt I could find better than MKs.

Hopefully some of the hard core whistlers will eventually try my wooden versions and be able to provide reviews and feedback (I appreciate hearing any evaluations, positive or negative).
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Geoffrey, welcome to the C&F whistle forum. Or should I say thank you for stepping forth from the shadows?
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Hopefully some of the hard core whistlers will eventually try my wooden versions and be able to provide reviews and feedback (I appreciate hearing any evaluations, positive or negative).
Well, here's a thought. Some makers have in the past undertaken a whistle tour to solicit evaluations and to get the feedback flowing. I'd certainly be up to trying one of your whistles. Just a thought. If you'd be up for it, I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks for joining in on the forum.

Feadoggie
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And I'd be very interested in trying a tour version of the whistle.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Feadoggie wrote:Geoffrey, welcome to the C&F whistle forum. Or should I say thank you for stepping forth from the shadows?
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Hopefully some of the hard core whistlers will eventually try my wooden versions and be able to provide reviews and feedback (I appreciate hearing any evaluations, positive or negative).
Well, here's a thought. Some makers have in the past undertaken a whistle tour to solicit evaluations and to get the feedback flowing. I'd certainly be up to trying one of your whistles. Just a thought. If you'd be up for it, I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks for joining in on the forum.

Feadoggie
Interesting. Can you tell me a bit more about what a whistle tour is? How have such things been coordinated in the past?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Interesting. Can you tell me a bit more about what a whistle tour is? How have such things been coordinated in the past?
Geoffrey, I would be happy to outline the process. We can do that offline if you would like. I will send you a PM (personal message) here on C&F with some thoughts.

Feadoggie
maki

Post by maki »

Hello Geoffrey Ellis, welcome to the forum.
I followed the link to your page a looked at the low whistles you make.
Yep, drop dead beautiful.
The music clips are very nice too.
Nice to have you with us.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Geoffrey, welcome to the Whistle Forum. I'm just a newbie around here.

Wood... niceeee... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and mine eyes is beholding beauty!

Precious little stick that is :)
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Thanks to you all for such a warm welcome and for your kind words about my work! Very excited to be here :)
Titmouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Titmouse »

Hello Geoffrey,

I'm also a newbie here and a newbie to the Irish Flute as well. I love your work (I must since I have 5 of your flutes already) and I hope to get one of your Low D's someday. However, I think that it would be a good idea for me to first master the Piper's grip. :lol:

I'll see you back at the Portal.

Cheers,
Art :lol:
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Welcome Geoffrey. I'd throw my name in the hat for a whistle tour and review as well.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I'm currently in talks with a long time member about the possibility of their organizing a tour on my behalf. Being the new kid on the block I thought it best if a known member of the community kick things off. If it works out, then hopefully I'll be sending out some whistles on tour soon. Additionally, I'm hoping to send some of my Pratten flutes on tour as well (for those of you who play both).