James Quinn (1915-1960)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

James Quinn (1915-1960)

Post by RLines »

I recently stumbled across information about the London (via Ballinasloe) piper, James Quinn (1915-1960) and thought I'd share it in case others would be interested.

There is a photo of him in the liner notes of the recording 'The Sligo Champion' by Michael Gorman, although he doesn't appear on any of the tracks (Willie Clancy does however on at least two), which peaked my interest. Then I found there is a nice selection of photos of him in the ITMA, donated by his family.

http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/galle ... otographs/

I wonder does anyone have more details on him over and above what is on the ITMA site?
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
seamusoh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: James Quinn (1915-1960)

Post by seamusoh »

I wonder what happened to the lesft handed Rowsome set ?
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Thanks for the link, Rick, had not noticed this before. I remember the pic of him in the Gorman recording liners, not many pipers with a bow tie and no jacket.

I happened on a couple tracks of one London piper at the BBC archives - Tommy Sheridan. In his obit in An Piobarie they pointed out he was happier playing in groups but here were a pair of solos. So perhaps there's some recordings of Quinn in there too, although I'm pretty sure I searched for 'uilleann' right off the bat when I heard about the archives.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Is that the Sheridan piper who was pictured in the 1968 Bettystown Tionol?
Looks a bit like Felix Doran?
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

If he's listed there, yes. This discussion mentions him as a member of the Four Courts Ceili Band in the 70s: The Session: Discussions - In the Smoke - a rarity