Zucchini Use

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Zucchini Use

Post by I.D.10-t »

Or courgette use.

Hard to believe the fruit grows as fast as it does. I only have 4 plants, but I have started to look for additional ways to use the things other than just grilling them. So here are two things I've found.

Zucchini Pancake (Savory)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not fluffy like a normal pancake, it is similar to a potato pancake. The center stays moist and creamy (to me anyways). Mild in flavor the egg and flour can be adjusted according to how much moisture is in the zucchini and is just there for binding things together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients

2 C Zucchini, shredded
1/2 C Onion Grated or Finely Chopped
1 Egg Beaten
1C Flour
2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Toppings
Pesto
Tomatoes
Parmesan

Egg, zucchini, onion, and flour. Let sit for 30 minutes or so if you have time. Heat and oil a skillet. Drop and spread out the batter into ~1/3" pancakes. Cook over low heat until browned and flip. When both sides are brown, spread with pesto, cover with sliced tomatoes, and sprinkle Parmesan over the top, or treat like potato pancakes.

Zucchini Lemonade
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zucchini adds a bit of texture and thickness to the mint lemonade. I like mine on the tart side, so additional water and zucchini may be desired.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients

2 C Water
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/3 C Lemon Juice
~2-3C Peeled Cubed Zucchini (or cucumber)
Mint to taste.

Use warm water to dissolve the sugar, add lemon juice and chill.

Peel and chop an equivalent amount of zucchini and place in a blender with the mint lemonade. Blend until smooth.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Thomaston

Re: Zucchini Use

Post by Thomaston »

I'll be trying this soon, substituting Panko for the bread crumbs, Possibly dipped it ranch!

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fat-free milk $
2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
Cooking spray
Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Italian-style squash

2-4 yellow squash and/or zucchini
a few cloves garlic
a big handful of fresh basil
olive oil

spaghetti

Heat the olive oil in a big saute pan
add garlic and saute till soft
Add zucchini, diced in maybe half inch or so cubes
Saute till the zook is like you like it
add the basil

I like to season it with cayenne or hot paprika and salt

Serve over spaghetti, with parmesan

I LOVE zucchini bread

I'm quite fond of ratatouille -- be sure to use lots of rosemary

If you don't have good recipes for these, lemme know and I'll post them when I get home.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

I had some that were a little too large, too hard, too many seeds etc.
Peeled, seeded, cut 'em up into spears and made refrigerator pickles.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Greek zucchini salad.

The above is pretty much the way I do it with the feta and how the zucchini's cut, only I add red onion, and often - but not necessarily - olives and tomato. The dressing is simply lemon juice, olive oil, oregano (this is not an option), just enough mustard powder to emulsify it a tad, and a little salt and pepper. It's a great summer dish and I like it better if it's marinated in the fridge for at least a few hours.

I haven't yet had zucchini blossoms. I hear they're good.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I am my going to turn the keyboard over to the fabulous Deb to give you her famous recipe for 'Happy Chicken' with a courgette sauce:

“Chicken: you ideally need a supreme, but any joint with skin on will do. Insert sliced garlic and fresh thyme between the flesh and the skin. Put in a dish with a little olive oil, and grind plenty of salt over the top. Bake for as long as it takes (golden brown for preference).

Courgette: grate a couple of courgettes, sprinkle a little salt over and leave to drain for around 20 minutes.
Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, throw in about a teaspoon of white mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add a small finely sliced onion and soften (4 or 5 minutes). Squeeze out the courgette and add to the pan when the onion is soft. Cook gently for a further 3 or 4 minutes until soft, and you've broken up the clumps of courgette. Take off the heat and add plenty of yoghurt (to give a nice sludgy consistency). Grind on a little sea salt and black pepper. Serve warm for happy chicken or eat it up cold if there’s any left.
Serve with plain boiled rice, with all the chicken juices poured over.
Works really well on sulks and general grumpiness.”

Dunno what she means by that last bit.

highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

One of the best chocolate cakes I've ever eaten had zucchini as a major ingredient - and no I don't have the recipe to hand.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
maki

Post by maki »

I once lived in a small town where people never locked their cars, except during
high season for zucchini.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Dry it. Then, grind it up in the blender. Makes a great addition to soups, spaghetti sauce etc...

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

maki wrote:I once lived in a small town where people never locked their cars, except during
If I lived in a town where the zucchini could enter an unlocked car, I think I would move far away. Deliciousness not worth the terror.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
maki

Post by maki »

Seonachan wrote:
maki wrote:I once lived in a small town where people never locked their cars, except during
If I lived in a town where the zucchini could enter an unlocked car, I think I would move far away. Deliciousness not worth the terror.
Not only would they enter unlocked cars, they would show up on door steps.
They would appear at work in the break room.
And would you believe it- the local police would do nothing about it!
That is the only reason I left that otherwise lovely town.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

maki wrote:Not only would they enter unlocked cars, they would show up on door steps.
They would appear at work in the break room.
And would you believe it- the local police would do nothing about it!
That is the only reason I left that otherwise lovely town.
Were they stalkers?
maki

Post by maki »

No the celery never got out of hand.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

We had Happy Chicken (recipe above) the other night. Here it is, although for some reason it just won't post the right way up. The original is the right way up, honest!

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

There's always leaving a few on your neighbour's doorstep, ringing the bell, and running. It's delicious, and very fulfilling.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis