flute intonation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

flute intonation

Post by brad maloney »

Who exactly was the masochist who thought that tuning some notes slightly sharp and others horribly flat was a 'good' idea?

I've had some people try to justify it, but Oh, my goodness! What in the world? - couldn't we just poke the proper holes in the damn thing instead of making players lip every note a different way?
Play Happy
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: flute intonation

Post by chas »

You might just as well ask what masochist thought equal temperament was a good idea. ;)

Now that I've got that off my chest. . . There are some things that must be built into a tenor flute in order for it to fit human hands. The simple-system flute necessarily can't be made "perfect" in both pitch and volume for every note. The note that probably bugs you the most is the C# -- there are two things that affect it. One is that on keyed flutes, it's generally designed to be in-tune with the C key vented, the other that many keyless flutes are optimized for the Cnat to be in-tune. Either of these will make the C# flat. Similarly, on baroque flutes the F# is often flat to allow the Fnat to be more in-tune. Some makers favor a stronger E note, which will make it sharp, others favor an in-tune E which sounds somewhat veiled. Some, though are able to work magic and make a strong E (and A) that's perfectly in-tune for most players.

But even within those limitations, the flute is a very flexible instrument, and a good player can make the notes sound the way he wants them to. Chris Norman once said to me, "Don't blame the flute for your inability to play it in tune."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

The flute is just a damn hard instrument to play in tune (probably true of all wind instruments). Nearly every player from the lowly to the greats play out of tune at times. Drives me crazy too. Just have to fight on.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

brad maloney wrote:Who exactly was the masochist who thought that tuning some notes slightly sharp and others horribly flat was a 'good' idea?

I've had some people try to justify it, but Oh, my goodness! What in the world? - couldn't we just poke the proper holes in the damn thing instead of making players lip every note a different way?
:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :really:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Behold, the proper hole arrangement of the 12-hole flute:

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: :really:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Here's a thought: I reckon if you're playing the As and Bs sharp and the bottom D flat, then maybe you're also playing the As and Bs too loud and too screechy, and the bottom D not hard enough and with insufficient tone.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Some older thread, (I'm too lazy to search), talked about how each of the notes on a simple-system flute really has a personality of it's own. Each has just slightly different breath requirements, and responds just slightly differently to all of the physical factors involved in playing the flute. This is largely what gives the 'Irish' flute it's unique, warm and life-like personality.

The Boehm system, despite its many technical advantages, is a very different beast. There are good reasons why only rarely are they well-presented in traditional music (from any nation).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

bit new for many of the traditions, aren't they?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yes, my point being that they rarely find their way in, as their technical advantages come at a cost.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

crookedtune wrote:Some older thread, (I'm too lazy to search), talked about how each of the notes on a simple-system flute really has a personality of it's own. Each has just slightly different breath requirements, and responds just slightly differently to all of the physical factors involved in playing the flute. This is largely what gives the 'Irish' flute it's unique, warm and life-like personality....
This the one ? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85958
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.