A question for "Whistling newbies" beginners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jleo Fipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A question for "Whistling newbies" beginners

Post by Jleo Fipple »

What is your Whistle learning method?

My method is Bill Ochs tutorial. Tell me what you are using and how you are finding it?

How I personally am finding Bill Ochs tutorial can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89154&p=1082403#p1082403
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A question for "Whistling newbies" beginners

Post by Mr Ed »

I'm using the Bill Ochs tutorial also. It's a nice progression in difficulty and gives a good variety of tunes to hear how the whistle does in non-ITM styles.

Ryan Duns has helpful lessons on YouTube. Sometimes it helps to see and hear how something is done.
Here's his channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanDunsSJ
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I've come to believe you need to hear . . . . and preferably see what the teacher is doing. Blayne Chastain's lessons are wonderful. So are the lessons of the Online Academy of Irish Music. Check them out.
ghicken

Post by ghicken »

Ochs and Chastain. Those are my two teachers. Blayne's website has lessons for Tin Whistle and Irish Flute. Since the flute lessons are keyless, the songs can all be learned on the whistle and vice-versa. Also, get some whistle CDs. I'm listening to Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain in my car. I'm not going to be at her level anytime soon, but I want her whistle tunes in my head.
Gary

Post by Zabava77 »

In addition to all great resources mentioned, here is one: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
Festina Lente
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Zabava77 wrote:In addition to all great resources mentioned, here is one: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
That was the other internet resource I forgot to mention.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Jleo Fipple wrote:What is your Whistle learning method?
I am doing all of the above. I try to take a "comparative" approach between the various tutorials, books, CDs, YouTube, and the various websites (slows me down). The most helpful thing I did (in addition to practicing) was get out and "listen" to ITM live, and one of the best resources found was Comhaltas http://comhaltas.ie/ and I joined. If there isn't a location near you, may I suggest you start a group up, as it doesn't have to be extravagant (birds of a feather), maybe just a whistler or two and anyone else. I found the Comhaltas music archives to be extremely valuable, and the whistle section is of course my favorite.

Whistle on...
maki

Post by maki »

Another n00b who uses Blayne Chastian, I've been a member for 6 months or so.
REALLY love his teaching!

I've used Ochs, and his book/CD is one I'd recommend.

L.E. McCullough book/CD(s) are worth a look. I own several.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5gG8dagC4

Tradlessons is a good resource.
http://www.tradlessons.com/

I try to listen to good Irish as much as possible, enternalizing the rythems has been
one of my big challenges. So I bought a MP3 player to listen constantly.
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

Short Version:
I learn since March 2012
by:
- Tabs - liked it for the bgeinning dont like them anymore
- Sheet music, which I also learn right now to read - like it, or would like it if i would be better in it
- Youtube Lessons - thats a good way if u choose the right tutorials
- Improvisation - its getting better and better - its fun
- Ear - its hard - but not the hearing, i can whistle all directly by mouth but not on the whistle, my fingers first have to know better where wich sound is hided i guess
- a bad German Tutorial (stopped with it - its terrible and the "teacher" ist lousy)
- The Bill Ochs Tutorial (got it but didn’t start yet - will next week) i hope i will like it

and I always learn other tunes as in my Tutorials, while I should do my lessons, but they seem to be so much nicer ;-)
and I learn a lot by surfing the internet looking at everything I can find about whistles , that way I found C&F
i think, practise, watch,surf.... several hours every day about whistles ... soon ill have much less time again, now i am sick and can take the time but have problems concentrating .... id love to see a real teacher, but thats impossible right now

i would love to take some Bill Ochs Skype Lessons one day, but first ill start with his Book.

Anyone want the long version? ;-)
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

My method is Bill Ochs tutorial. Tell me what you are using and how you are finding it?

How I personally am finding Bill Ochs tutorial can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89154&p=1082403#p1082403

Thank you everyone for the informative replies gives me lots to go on.
Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I've used many of the resources mentioned but for me nothing beats just jumping in head first into a session.

Play or die. That's the motivation I need to actually practice. There is so much to take in when you start to play with other musicians.
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

ggiles wrote:I've used many of the resources mentioned but for me nothing beats just jumping in head first into a session.
I would not recommend a newbie jump head first into a session as they would unlikely be able to play tunes properly and up to speed, so all they'd be doing is annoying the hell out of everyone else. Remember the OP has only just started playing, it's different if they had some proficiency and were able to play session tunes at session speeds. OP it mentions your location as Tyrone, could you not get yourself a teacher up there? I can understand people hundreds of miles away from any teacher relying on tutorials but you're in Ireland for God's sake! :)
IB00

Post by IB00 »

Definitely go to sessions to meet other players and internalise the tunes. The quicker you immerse yourself in music the better. The whistle is a particularly annoying instrument at a session in the hands of someone who cant play the tunes but carries on regardless as it cuts through so well in the higher register. That said, i recommend noting some of the tunes played at your local session, learning a few of your favourites and playing along with those ones next time. Its true that hearing tunes played well in a session is inspiring and playing along is great! If you need to iron out some trickier passages try using a low whistle - nobody will hear any mistakes!
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

IB00 wrote:Definitely go to sessions to meet other players and internalise the tunes. The quicker you immerse yourself in music the better.
Blaydo wrote:I would not recommend a newbie jump head first into a session as they would unlikely be able to play tunes properly and up to speed, so all they'd be doing is annoying the hell out of everyone else.
Good points guys I agree there is one ITM group in my town and the BOSS man would have the whistle of a wailing newbie shoved where grass doesn't grow, and then an entirely different reaction would be expected if you where actually asked to join in as a newbie. I do go to listen and I do need to get with them more often.
ggiles wrote:I've used many of the resources mentioned but for me nothing beats just jumping in head first into a session.

Play or die. That's the motivation I need to actually practice. There is so much to take in when you start to play with other musicians.
GG you're a brave man I would calve in the middle of it :lol:
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I should clarify ... jump into a newbie friendly session and follow some simple session manners. No you can't show up not knowing a tune. You should be able to play a number of tunes at a moderate pace. Mainly listen and start making a list of tunes they play that you can practice ... but nothing beats playing with other musicians. Learning to keep in time with other players and hearing what they are doing while you are playing really starts to pull your stuff together.