US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickthepiedpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Re: US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

It's just an idea... You did notice that he's wearin a kilt... Don't read too much into it. I'd do a siluette of Joanie madden, would be recognizable, but she might not like it... Just sayin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Do Oregon people generally associate Irish people with Native American culture?.
Nothing necessarily so direct or mistaken in that region more than any other; while as a Yank (see below) I don't take the import of this image that way (and I think most probably don't as well), you will find certain people, all over, making such breathtaking leaps of reason. For example, I have been lectured to on the spirituality of Trad music by crystal-wearing folk who didn't know a polka when they heard it. I expect they would have thought nothing of, and probably would have looked with approval on, a Kokopelli decal on my flute if there had been one.

I do think it's safe to say that in the States, Kokopelli has been widely adopted - some would say co-opted - regardless of the finer points, as an icon of the fundamental, the "tribal", the idea of musician-as-shaman and, to an extent because of where it came from, of musical goings-on specifically in the New World. That said, I recall a Kokopelli tat on a New Zealander. Remembering pots and kettles, I didn't have the heart to call him a wannabe. :wink:

I note that yer man further back is wearing a kilt and Tam, and the thingum has a fipple.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

benhall.1 wrote:Do Oregon people generally associate Irish people with Native American culture? Or confuse primitive flutes with whistles? Perhaps they associate Irish people with worshipping non-Christian Gods? I mean, I'm sure some do - Wicca, that sort of thing, although probably more popular in England than in Ireland - but Kokopelli seems a stretch somehow.

I dunno ... maybe it's just me ...
youse Brits are SO fussy!
Last edited by Denny on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Denny wrote:youse Brits are SO fussy!
:D
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Nick - Anywhere near Cannon Beach? We stayed there once and man it was sublime. Would be interested.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Cannon beach is a ways north of here. I prefer the coast here, although it is quite nice up there as well.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Brian McCoy from the Kells is a terrific whistle player and is based in Columbus, Ohio. Michael Burke knows him well. If you want I can probably put you in touch. PM me.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I note that yer man further back is wearing a kilt and Tam
I thought this when you said it, but it's been bugging me since ... more evidence of Brit pickiness, you'll probably think it ...

What has either a kilt or, even more, a tam, got to do with anything Irish? I'm just not getting this ... :-?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, designating the instrument 'Irish' whistle in the first place is probably not a good idea to begin with.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Well, designating the instrument 'Irish' whistle in the first place is probably not a good idea to begin with.
Oh, that bit I've come to terms with. I've argued to myself that what is meant must be an "Irish, Whistle Festival" as opposed to an "Irish-Whistle Festival".
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

benhall.1 wrote:Isn't it just a little weird to be using the image of Kokopelli for an "Irish Whistle Festival"?
I don't know about in the UK, or up in the Pacific Northwest, but down here in the US Southwest (especially in Arizona and New Mexico) it's very common to see the image of Kokopelli co-opted and re-designed for nearly any imaginable use.

For example a Scottish Pipe Band in Arizona sells t-shirts with two Kokopellis, one playing bagpipes and one playing snare drum, and these shirts are big sellers. I've seen kilt pins featuring Kokopelli playing the Scottish pipes.

So no, here it's not weird at all.

If Kokopelli is wearing a kilt and Balmoral Bonnet whilst playing Irish whistle, now that strikes me as incongruous, unless it was a Whistle Festival taking place in Scotland.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
nickthepiedpiper

Ok, so I'll make a new design today without the whole kokopelli thing... And the name?
Fipple Fest - celebrating the instrument known as the Irish whistle, tinwhistle, or penny whistle.

Does that cover all the bases?
nickthepiedpiper

Btw... The kilt was adopted in Ireland as well, as a sign of rebellion against the British. Irish forces serving in the British military would wear solid color kilts as their uniform, and kilts have been common in Ireland since the 19th century at formal and musical gatherings.

The kilt, although most commonly associated with Scotland, has been adopted as a symbol of Celtic heritage just like the Irish whistle is used in Scotland as well as many other countries.

But all if which are mute points since I'm changing the design to a more politically correct thing. Just to make all of you happy.. And so you can feel the love!
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:Btw... The kilt was adopted in Ireland as well
In all the years I've lived in Ireland or been back visiting since, I've never seen anyone there wearing a kilt, outside of (highland) pipe bands in Orange Day parades. YMMV.
Last edited by An Draighean on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:But all if which are mute points since I'm changing the design to a more politically correct thing. Just to make all of you happy.. And so you can feel the love!
Ah. Presumably you mean moot points, i.e. points worthy of further debate. :twisted: