US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickthepiedpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

I am planning to host an Irish whistle festival in Oregon next summer. Pretty much a year from now. We have 3 great whistle makers in Oregon who I'm sure will attend (although nothing is concrete yet). I would love to have as many makers as possible represented, as well as great music by some premier whistle players, great workshops, vendors, food and such. Shooting for the last weekend in August as a tentative date.

Please give me ideas for a name for the festival, possible musicians to invite, and spread the word! More details will be provided soon!
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: US Irish whistle festival! We want your ideas!

Post by Cayden »

Nick,
Your event sounds awesome! Perhaps you could call it "FIPPLEFEST"? You might consider seeking some sponsorships, Guinness comes to mind immediately. It would be great if you could draw some top whistle players such as Joanni Madden, Pete Purvis, etc. It would certainly be a great venue for makers to showcase their whistles. It would also be a great venue to introduce people to the great music made on the whistle. Good luck with this very worthwhile endeavor. :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Cayden wrote:Pete Purvis
Who?

It's interesting that while there are many very excellent whistle players in irish traditional music, there aren't many who are known as whistle players. The only American one that springs to mind at the moment is Kathleen Conneely (besides the obvious Joannie Madden). There are of course the obvious Irish ones, Mary Bergin and Sean Ryan. But every other whistle player I can think of (including Joannie) plays another instrument, often flute. I know it's often true in Ireland, and it is also true here, that people often start on whistle before moving to other things. My fiancee is a fantastic whistle player, as is her brother, but they're both much better known for fiddle and box respectively. But you'd be hard pressed to find better whistle players...

Another thought: after attending Gay McKoen's lecture at the CIAW about Uilleann Pipe clubs, I was talking about how and why there aren't Irish Fiddle clubs, Irish Flute clubs, Irish Whistle clubs, etc. The flute one especially is a bit interesting. Flute is a lot more similar to pipes in that there aren't a ton of makers, the instrument isn't available in stores (and definitely no Flute Shops like there are Violin Shops), and wooden flute players are pretty few and far. Good luck with this, it's an interesting idea, sort of a whistle-tionol. It will be interesting to see how it gets on.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

NicoMoreno,
Pete Purvis is a great whistle player and a member of Gaelic Storm. Like you mentioned, in addition to whistle, Pete plays Highland and Uillean pipes. Pete is from Ottawa, Canada.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Nick, I'd highly recommend Seamus Egan who plays with Solas which is a great Celtic band and have been to Oregon a number of times. Granted Seamus plays a lot of other instruments too (guitar, Irish flute, etc...) but is fabulous on whistle.

Good luck with this festival.
Ronaldo
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

here's the web page for the festival (not much there yet)

http://www.ethnicwind.com/#!whistle-festival/c4s2

I've contacted Joannie Madden, and Colin Farrell (not the actor) so far, awaiting their responses.
Seamus Egan would be AWESOME!!! I'll see what I can do.

BTW - Dale if you read this C&F Should really be one of our sponsors don't you think?!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Oh man, that's tempting. We've been meaning to go visit family on the "left coast" for years, so this might be the excuse that gets us to do it. Please keep us posted.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Way cool... essential in a way... would be to get Joe McKenna, the guy who developed and popularised the Low Whistle

http://www.irishmusicreview.com/mckenna.htm
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
nickthepiedpiper

first attempt at artwork for the show... feel free to share your artwork for the festival
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Isn't it just a little weird to be using the image of Kokopelli for an "Irish Whistle Festival"? Seems incongruous to me. From a number of different points of view.
Denny

Post by Denny »

seems reasonable from here...

'course it's in Oregon, innit?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Do Oregon people generally associate Irish people with Native American culture? Or confuse primitive flutes with whistles? Perhaps they associate Irish people with worshipping non-Christian Gods? I mean, I'm sure some do - Wicca, that sort of thing, although probably more popular in England than in Ireland - but Kokopelli seems a stretch somehow.

I dunno ... maybe it's just me ...
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

pancelticpiper wrote:Way cool... essential in a way... would be to get Joe McKenna, the guy who developed and popularised the Low Whistle

Not the greatest review however.... "monumentally dull" ??

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:Way cool... essential in a way... would be to get Joe McKenna, the guy who developed and popularised the Low Whistle

Not the greatest review however.... "monumentally dull" ??

Best wishes.

Steve
Yes, I've read that review before. Written by me ol' pal Geoff Wallis. Not pulling punches in a way that only he can do. :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

benhall.1 wrote:Do Oregon people generally associate Irish people with Native American culture? Or confuse primitive flutes with whistles? Perhaps they associate Irish people with worshipping non-Christian Gods? I mean, I'm sure some do - Wicca, that sort of thing, although probably more popular in England than in Ireland - but Kokopelli seems a stretch somehow.

I dunno ... maybe it's just me ...
Or you could go with Ekkhart Malotki's thesis that Kokopelli was not a flute/whistle player at all—that his name was mistakenly ascribed to the petroglyphs of the hunch-backed flute player found in the Southwestern US states ("Kokopelli: The Making of an Icon", Univ. Nebraska Press, 2000).

Maybe a silhouette of Micho Russell—less recognizable but more ITM.

Just sayin'

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.