Ebay Items

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MeMyselfandI
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Ebay Items

Post by MeMyselfandI »

I noticed over in the UP forum that they a string of postings showing available ebay items that are actually good instruments. It seems like a good reference for people looking to get a quality instrument for less than full price, or for people wanting to confidently stay away from the pakistani firewood (if even that), and get a decent instrument. So, as a result, I'm bringing that topic over here to the flute board! Here are some of the items that I've found recently. And if you find others, please feel free post them here as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copley-D-Delrin ... 500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casey-Burns-Iri ... 500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irish-Flute-10- ... 500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copley-E-flat-m ... 500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Walt-Sweet-P ... 1e71282784

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-D-Sweet-Black ... 3a78302098

Wow, there a lot on there right now. :boggle: And its all from reputable makers! :thumbsup:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Ebay Items

Post by Peter Duggan »

MeMyselfandI wrote:a string of postings showing available ebay items that are actually good instruments. It seems like a good reference for people looking to get a quality instrument for less than full price
Something I've never understood! (While I might welcome the exposure as a seller, it would just annoy me as a potential buyer, and eBay's search function has always seemed an adequate reference for most things that might interest me there...)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Peter Duggan wrote:Something I've never understood! While I might welcome the exposure as a seller, it would just annoy me as a potential buyer, and eBay's search function has always seemed an adequate reference for most things that might interest me there...
I have mixed feelings. Sometimes as a potential buyer I'm hoping that no one else notices (like that would happen) and other times I've somehow missed a posting and am thankful to hear of it. In my purchasing experience (and attempted purchasing experience) I've had both happen.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

We've had this discussion a number of times already, FWIW. While not everybody agrees, of course,
the majority seems to feel that the benefits of such occasional posts outweigh the costs. Personally I value
the educational benefits, especially checking alerts about 19th century flutes; I'm not much on
e bay otherwise, in fact. Other things to do....

As to a permanent thread, well, I'm not sure that's something we need.
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

Peter Duggan wrote:
MeMyselfandI wrote:a string of postings showing available ebay items that are actually good instruments. It seems like a good reference for people looking to get a quality instrument for less than full price
Something I've never understood! (While I might welcome the exposure as a seller, it would just annoy me as a potential buyer, and eBay's search function has always seemed an adequate reference for most things that might interest me there...)
I'm not sure what you don't understand. eBay is a great place to sell items, and a great place to get good deals on things that would be otherwise more expensive (at least in most cases). And, about eBay's search function, although it is adequate in most cases, there can a lot of times be good instruments under a name that might not come up from a simple search, requiring you to make multiple searches, but even then you can still miss some. There is also a lot of junk will come up that one would need to sift through, increasing the chances of missing something. So it seems like a reference to see what's good that's on eBay would be very helpful to many. But, about what was said about wanting something to not be seen, in my precious few years of watching items on eBay, it is extremely rare that you can watch something of quality, and it not be seen by someone else. So, if there's a so high a chance it will be seen anyway, this reference can't really do much damage. It seems like a win win to me. But, if there's really such a high amount of people here who don't like this idea, then we can let it go. It just seems like a good way to help people really see what's out there.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

MeMyselfandI wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
I'm not sure what you don't understand. eBay is a great place to sell items, and a great place to get good deals on things that would be otherwise more expensive (at least in most cases). And, about eBay's search function, although it is adequate in most cases, there can a lot of times be good instruments under a name that might not come up from a simple search, requiring you to make multiple searches, but even then you can still miss some. There is also a lot of junk will come up that one would need to sift through, increasing the chances of missing something. So it seems like a reference to see what's good that's on eBay would be very helpful to many. But, about what was said about wanting something to not be seen, in my precious few years of watching items on eBay, it is extremely rare that you can watch something of quality, and it not be seen by someone else. So, if there's a so high a chance it will be seen anyway, this reference can't really do much damage. It seems like a win win to me. But, if there's really such a high amount of people here who don't like this idea, then we can let it go. It just seems like a good way to help people really see what's out there.
I believe the gist of this complaint lies in the fact that if you are not sufficiently motivated to do the work yourself, and search Ebay for what you are really interested in (and some do this continually looking for a good deal-for whatever reason they do it-financial, commercial, etc with some amount of effort expended).

So, a helpful poster who has found something of value to us, posts a link to Ebay, and then the lazy bones (who can't be bothered or doesn't think he has the time for searching himself) comes along and ups the bid on something he may or may not really want (and wouldn't normally bid for lack of motivation to search), but thinks if he can snatch it up for a song, will then bid it up a bit now being aware of it, and the one who really wants it or needs the price break, doesn't get it at a "good deal price", but more of a "what the market will bear price". Long sentence? Yes, guess that's just me, but thought it necessary for the idea as my mind went along the way! :wink:

To those who need a price break to afford a nice flute (and who are following the auction), (and in today's economy I think there are more than ever in this boat), it's disheartening to see it posted here for all those not really interested enough to do the work themselves, in essence. Good for the seller, as was pointed out, but not for the buyer, maybe, if the price is bid up past what he considers a good deal.

Nice to be helpful, but...sometimes it's better to let things lay. Just depends on your point of view, and if you're considering all the angles.
~~~~
Barry
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

To me, it makes sense for a seller who's a member here to post a link to their own auction (and I've done that, but don't always). Don't have a problem with a potential buyer (or just curious observer) asking questions about a particular item or the occasional enthusiastic post (like 'gosh, wow, when did we last see one of these?') from anybody (expert or not), but mere lists of flutes or whatever available on eBay seem at best unnecessary here and at worst detrimental to the thoughtful/clever buyer who's (as suggested by Barry above) doing their own donkey work and I'll personally never welcome those.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Well as I am the main culprit on the uilleann forum, I had a search set up for my own use when I was looking for uilleann related merchandise. It takes seconds and finds most of the uilleann related items, and as I am out of the buying game (unless a nice bag for a flat set comes up), posting the results for others to look at takes little time or effort.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Denny

Post by Denny »

so if ya found a "nice bag for a flat set" would ya post it? :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

It would depend on the price - if it was reasonable, it would be snapped up, as the bag on my avatar set is leaking like a sieve. If I didn't buy it right away it would get posted.

I would probably have ordered one already from one of the bag makers, but the trip to Cavan this coming weekend has taken all my spare cash.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Denny

Post by Denny »

you make me wonder how the UP forum tolerates such a nice guy :wink:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Davy, when you're in Cavan be sure to have a nip of Bailey's. The extended family contributes the cream :D

Up Cavan!
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
WJC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by WJC »

Denny wrote:you make me wonder how the UP forum tolerates such a nice guy :wink:
Wellllll.... BigDavy is the only nice thing we have, kinda like a nightlight in Hell.

Stay on the dark side Big D...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, we're not quite as horrible as the UJ forum,
so Denny is like a flashlight in Purgatory.
Denny

Post by Denny »

with weak batteries and bad connections (so ya gotta shake it once in a while)