some irish tunes sharing……I played the music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cai-shao-yang
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

some irish tunes sharing……I played the music

Post by cai-shao-yang »

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/WJyU ... 1_06_02_99

I hope to be able to blow out the artistic of Irish rural。
my mail: 23921660@qq.com
i come from china,and i have a irsh-US name "fluke.Whelan"
German Whistler

Re: some irish tunes sharing……I played the music

Post by German Whistler »

well i am just a beginner and cant tell you, what is good and what is possible to make better
to me it sounds nice (even if i am not such a fan of those fast tunes yet), ... so, well done
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
MarkP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

sounds like a good start, but try to learn more about using your finger movements to separate notes, rather than using your breath/tongue. Kitty's Gone a Milking has good opportunities to practice cuts/taps and long/short rolls (e.g. on the second part of the tune, there's a good place to start practising this with the repeated g notes - dggg a-gf dggf d- etc).
Mark
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Really good effort, Cai-Shao-Yang! I thought your timing - in all but one of those - was great. And nice. steady stempo. Your ornaments are coming along nicely too. Just the third piece, starting about 1:10, was a bit off. I thought the ornament at the start got in the way a bit, and put your timing off.

Mark - I don't understand what you mean - Shao-Yang is using finger articulations in the places you suggest. They're really nice, in fact. Lovely, idiomatic rolls, in proper Irish fashion. Is it possible we've somehow linked to a different recording? I'm confused though, because the one I listened to does start with Kitty's Gone A-Milking ... :-?

Overall, great job, Cai-Shao-Yang!

:D
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MarkP wrote:sounds like a good start, but try to learn more about using your finger movements to separate notes, rather than using your breath/tongue.
Can't see why you're suggesting that here at all, Mark!
benhall.1 wrote:Mark - I don't understand what you mean - Shao-Yang is using finger articulations in the places you suggest. They're really nice, in fact. Lovely, idiomatic rolls, in proper Irish fashion.
So agree with Ben that you're (cai-shao-yang) trying all the right things. But suggest working on the tightness of the cuts and strikes defining these rolls so they become more main notes separated by rhythmic 'blips' (as Ben's also described them elsewhere) than continuous chains of shorter notes.

:)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Sorry, I was listening with the volume very low, must have been mistaken :)
Mark
maki

Post by maki »

I really liked your Rolling In The Ryegrass, one of my favorite reels.
Thank you very much for sharing.
cai-shao-yang

Post by cai-shao-yang »

i don't know the word "blips",Dictionary without the word.

it is the noise when i fingering hole seal halfway,cause it?
my mail: 23921660@qq.com
i come from china,and i have a irsh-US name "fluke.Whelan"
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cai-shao-yang wrote:i don't know the word "blips",Dictionary without the word.
OK, so we need some clarification here when you could take 'blip' in a positive (deliberate transient accent) or negative (unwanted irregularity or interruption) sense and I'm advocating positive blips...
it is the noise when i fingering hole seal halfway,cause it?
So it's not what you're doing at all, but rather what you're not quite doing yet. Think, for example, of a short roll on G as two equal Gs started by a cut and a strike and consider two extremes of execution:

1. An even, four-note A G F# G, which isn't really a roll at all but more of a turn.
2. An apparent G - G - pair, where the articulating cut and strike are snappy enough to be barely discernible as separate notes.

Now, the second is what you're aiming for when your execution (not unusually for a relative beginner) may typically be somewhere between the two, and I hope this makes sense because it's not so easy to explain with just words!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cai-shao-yang wrote:i don't know the word "blips",Dictionary without the word.
In this case "blip" means a very, very brief sound. It is not so different from "chirp", but it is even shorter than that.

For example, if you want to divide G with an F# tap, the tap should be so quick that all you hear is a "blip" noise in between (G*G, asterisk being the blip), but you don't hear a clearly defined note (G F# G). The tap is supposed to be more like a percussion sound (blip), not a note heard as such (F#).

Does that help?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd 'a gone with an interruption of the sound... (yeah, he is difficult :D )
Dictionary.com wrote:Origin:
1890–95, for an earlier sense; sound symbolism, with p for brevity and abrupt end of the impulse; bl- perhaps from blink
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dictionary.com wrote:Origin:
1890–95, for an earlier sense; sound symbolism, with p for brevity and abrupt end of the impulse; bl- perhaps from blink
Good Lord. A lot of native English speakers I know would say "What??" at that definition.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's a gem, innit!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/blip

On that definition, for a sound, it could be either a break in a sound or a very short sound. I suspect most common usage is for a small spot of light on a radar screen or similar.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I suspect most common usage is for a small spot of light on a radar screen or similar.
I would think that's right. In the States, "a blip on the screen" is a regular idiomatic expression for something that escapes notice, or nearly does, for being short-lived or otherwise unremarkable in a field of events.

But since "blip" is onomatopoeic (forgive this word, but I was unsure of a better, simpler choice. The good news is that it's probably in everyone's dictionaries) and not merely suggesting appearance in time, it can serve just as well for our purposes, too. It's hard to come up with a better one than "blip", I think.