Sweetone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
the_instrument_player
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweetone

Post by the_instrument_player »

My parents got me a Sweetone for my birthday and... my goodness, there's a reason for the name! It is just the sweetest little whistle! Bright yellow too-- reminds me of sunshine. Funny that I get excited over a cheap little whistle, but you all know what it's like, right? I've just never had any experience with this particular brand and I really like the tone.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Yeah, sweetones are nifty little whistles, aren't they? I got two this past summer (one in C and one in D), and they're great for 'quiet' practice.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I'm a big fan of the Sweetone. Mine is somewhat battered. The bottom edge is rusty and most of the plating is worn off, but the whistle still has a lovely tone. :D
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Mine is also lined with rust, and the little Celtic knot almost worn off. It has been well played and well loved. :) It's great because it's really good for beginners, but keeps up with you (or at least me) as you progress.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
the_instrument_player

Sweetone

Post by the_instrument_player »

so is the C as charming as the D? I don't like my gen C at all so maybe I should get a Sweetone C....
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have a Sweetone D which I love. I also have a MEG C which I like very much. It should be very similar to the Sweetone. The best $3.00 whistle I have. I don't think it is better than my Gen C but it is different.
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I have both Sweetone C and D whistles. I have not played the C enough to make a comparison between it and my favorite D. When I have time to play I almost always pick up my battered D.

Happy Tunes

Paulsdad
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

Mine seemed to have problems beyond my incompetence. Maybe I was unlucky. I have heard some in person that sounded much better.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Re: Sweetone

Post by blackhawk »

the_instrument_player wrote:so is the C as charming as the D? I don't like my gen C at all so maybe I should get a Sweetone C....
I think the C is just as good. I love my Sweetones. My D was my first whistle and still has a warm place in my heart.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I don't like my Sweetone D very much. It plays easily, but the intonation isn't very good, and the tone seems dull and uninteresting. Maybe I just got a bad one, because I've heard paulsdad playing his "battered" Sweetone, and it sounds great.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Soineanta wrote:Mine is also lined with rust, and the little Celtic knot almost worn off. It has been well played and well loved. :) It's great because it's really good for beginners, but keeps up with you (or at least me) as you progress.
On the inside sleeve of the multi-million selling CD, Gas Up my Hotrod Stoker, The Kwela Groove Frenzy's Hit Town, there's a Celtic Knot Sweetone nestling right in the middle of a whole saucepan full of mixed whistles. Dave Woodhead clearly has a really chiffy case of WhoA. :boggle:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

My Sweetone C and Meg C both have pitching problems. Each whistle is not in tune with itself.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The toneholes on the Sweetone C have recently been reconfigured to make it better in tune.

I have an older one and one I bought recently. The newer one's holes are different, and it's much better in tune.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

My C is in pretty good tune, although I find that they seem to have put the lowest hole a bit lower than they should have, so I have to reach more with my bottom finger to cover it. Kind of annoying, really, however it doesn't seem to affect the tuning.... well... with the exception of having to use Bb as OXX XXO... :roll:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë