What do you use to carry...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

What do you use to carry...

Post by michael_coleman »

What do you use to carry your whistles around? Just wondered what everyone used. I actually use a standard size handkerchief and I put a hole in one corner and slipped a shoelace through the hole and tied it. This way, I can use it to clean out my flute, low whistles etc. and I can roll up my whistle and secure them by wrapping the shoelace around the whole thing. I thought it was pretty handy.

Also, when you go to a session, how many whistles do you bring and what keys?
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I use a Volkswagon. Seriously, run a search on whistle cases. The thread just ran a couple of weeks ago and there were a lot of good suggestions. My pal Tom Dowling has a really nice 6 whistle pouch from Tuffbags that I'm considering getting (in a different color, of course - I wouldn't want to be a copycat).

As far as what whistles to bring, I usually carry 5 or 6. A couple of D's, a B flat, an E flat and a couple of C's. Then I usually end up only playing one of them...
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
DaveG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DaveG »

I just picked up an aluminum tool attache from Lowes..less then $20.00. Holds (so far) 14 C/D/Bb whistles, a low G, 2 cleaning rods, head grease,all in one kit. comes with locks and a shoulder strap.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

one of those goofy cloth bag things you're supposed to put on wine bottles. :)
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

A soft pouch for Yamaha soprano recorder :D

Tak
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
serpent

Not to brag, but...

Post by serpent »

A Genuine Serpent Black Leather Whistle Bag. Well, not really. I ran out of them last week, but hey! NyghtShayde is making all sorts of leather and fabric whistle bags! All sizes, styles, and colours! Single or multiple bags! PM her and see what she's got on the way. Get something unique!
Cheers, :D
serpiePie
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
serpent

If I suddenly vanish...

Post by serpent »

If serpent suddenly isn't around any more, well, I don't mean to point fingers here, but... the initials are N(yght)S(hayde)...

Muaaaahahahahahahaha!!! :D :twisted:

serpiePie

... who doesn't think he was s'pos'ta announce that... :D
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

A good friend of mine made me a holder for 6 whistles. It is basically a double layer of felt with stitching to form pockets for the whistles. The whole thing can then be rolled up, covered with a felt flap and tied with a cord sewn into the end. Although mine has all kinds of fancy embroidery on it, the basic idea is quite simple. For something more substantial, Tony Dixon makes a case that will hold one low whistle and several high whistles. I have one of his flute cases, and it is a really nice piece of work. You can look at them on his web site:

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/

Steve
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Blarney,
My wife made me a case just like you described, a piece of felt folded back over itself, with pouches formed by stitching up every 2 inches or so lengthwise up the cloth. It works great.
Mike
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

I bought a pool que case for my low D and now use it for all my whistles, and for bodhran tippers. Great case.

Timmy
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

A drum stick bag that can carry all my whistles to session plus my minidisc recorder & mic, 3 tune books and a tuner. It has a shoulder strap, as well as a carrying handle, zippers shut and is well padded. All for $20.

Alan
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I use the inner lining of my old leg cast. Its padded, closes with velcro, and I folded up the toe part. This holds all the whistles that don't have decent cases.

As for separate cases, if they don't come with one, I'm starting to knit and felt a wool bag for them.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

If I'm only going to travel with one whistle I use a section of PVC pipe with a paper towel or other removable plug stuffed in one end and the other end taped shut.
Paul Anderson

what do you use to carry

Post by Paul Anderson »

a padded and zippered pistol case by Browning will carry about five whistles from D to A and, the best part is, noone will touch it at a session when they see the name on it.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I just carry one whistle in the soft pouch which Mike Burke supplies with his whistles. The pouch has a belt loop, which makes carrying the whistle both discreet and convenient.