Milligan in A?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bradley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Milligan in A?

Post by bradley »

I'm lusting after a new whistle or two.

Has anyone had experience with Gene Milligan's whistle in A?

Local shop has one in red DymondWood and it sure is a looker.

brad
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Milligan in A?

Post by AvienMael »

Uh, so play it then, and decide for yourself... :really:
Playing, not paying.
Brent Lyons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brent Lyons »

Time for a deep breath and another pint... :wink:

Not the same whistle, but here is a detailed review of Milligan's work:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68583

They're carried at Whistle and Drum, so they must be pretty decent.
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
bradley

Post by bradley »

Thanks. I should say I have a Milligan in D, and it is a really lovely and fun instrument. I am hoping someone with more experience with the A whistle and more than a quick toot in the shop could chime in.
(I'm also a bit of a prude when it comes to blowing a whistle that isn't mine--irrational personal hangup. )

Sorry for earlier post. I'm unnaturally surly today. Perhaps I should take up the pipes?
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

bradley wrote:Sorry for earlier post. I'm unnaturally surly today. Perhaps I should take up the pipes?
Ewwwww.... You don''t really want to hang out with the pipe guys, do you? Ick... :D
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Actually I wasn't trying to be a jerk... you Sir, on the other hand, were. The point was that nobody here can tell you anything about that whistle in your local shop. Now, I could say to you, "I have one and I love it!" Or, "My friend has six, all in A, and they all suck!"... But I still wouldn't be telling you anything about the particular whistle you are interested in. Nor would my ability on any whistle tell you anything about your ability with the same whistle.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Get yourself a couple of alcohol preps or whatever and go down there and play the thing... that will tell you everything you need to know.
Playing, not paying.
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

AvienMael wrote:Actually I wasn't trying to be a jerk...
Ah, but you were being sarcastic, so his reaction is not entirely surprising. I've found that I have to be a bit careful when playing snarky online; people don't know me personally and so cannot tell that 99% of the time I'm just joking and mean no ill will. :poke:

You are quite right about the advice, though. I have been watching the thread on the Dixon Traditional in Nickel and see responses all over the map for a 'mass produced' whistle. Unfortunately, the only music store that carries whistles near me has a strict "you blow it you bought it" policy, so I find myself soliciting advice in the same manner as OP. This type of question has a long precedence here and, if asked sincerely, deserves a sincere answer. It's always known that YMMV, but what is a whistle forum for if not to talk about whistles? :thumbsup:
maki

Post by maki »

This is from Gene Milligans web page;
All whistles are sold with a 14 day trial period and can be returned at no charge if needs are not met
http://milliganwhistles.com/whistles.html
Maybe the shop will give you a week, it won't hurt to ask.
Last edited by maki on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

maki wrote:This is from Gene Milligans web page;
All whistles are sold with a 14 day trial period and can be returned at no charge if needs are not met
http://milliganwhistles.com/whistles.html
That alone makes S/H worth paying! Good find!
bradley

Post by bradley »

AvienMael, I apologize for my earlier post, and I apologize to all the members of this forum. My remark was inexcusably rude and only reflects poorly on myself.

I do wish I had instead followed Brent's idea and took a deep breath and a pint.

However, AvienMael, I ask that you consider that your reply, including the smilie, "Uh, so play it then, and decide for yourself... :really:" could be construed in a negative light.

I appreciate your fleshing out the second reply.

By the way, I work with Staphylococcus aureus, and have become a bit of a worrier about transmissible nasties. Personally, I wouldn't trust a couple of alcohol wipes.

I will check with the local shop about their return policy.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

bradley wrote:AvienMael, I apologize for my earlier post, and I apologize to all the members of this forum. My remark was inexcusably rude and only reflects poorly on myself.

I do wish I had instead followed Brent's idea and took a deep breath and a pint.
It's been hot nationwide... Welcome to the forum :) Cheers, everyone!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

AvienMael wrote:Actually I wasn't trying to be a jerk...
Not trying, but succeeding? :wink:

I can think of a dozen reasons why the OP might not be able to, "play it then". Maybe local health codes prohibit try-before-you-buy. Maybe the OP works 16 hour days, and can't visit during business hours. Maybe the OP is physically handicapped or disabled or ill, and without transportation to the shop. Maybe the shop thinks Dymondwood is made from real diamonds (er, dymonds), and won't let anyone touch it. Maybe "bradley" is really Justin Bieber, and can't risk being mobbed by paparazzi.

Or maybe none of that matters if the OP just felt like asking a whistle opinion question on a whistle discussion board, and he's willing to risk an untried purchase.

As another wise poster wrote:
Brent Lyons wrote:This type of question has a long precedence here and, if asked sincerely, deserves a sincere answer. It's always known that YMMV, but what is a whistle forum for if not to talk about whistles? :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

bradley wrote:Local shop has one in red DymondWood and it sure is a looker.
As for me, I'd be celebrating that there is a local shop with a selection of whistles. All I find around here is the occasional rack of Gens dusted off and displayed in March just before St. Patrick's day.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.