Hand lotion for tired muscles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Hand lotion for tired muscles.

Post by Mikethebook »

I've read on the forums about the use of hand lotion to help with sealing of holes but does anyone use and recommend a specific hand cream or lotion that helps tired hand muscles after playing or just keeps them supple?
cai-shao-yang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hand lotion for tired muscles.

Post by cai-shao-yang »

I usually is optional shaking arm, make its relax
my mail: 23921660@qq.com
i come from china,and i have a irsh-US name "fluke.Whelan"
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Skirting the edge of our prohibition against medical advice ...

If your (normal) hand muscles are tired or sore enough after playing that you feel the need for a lotion, you're probably doing something wrong. No death grip! There should be very little tension in the hands when holding the whistle, and the finger movements are quite small with little pressure.

Shao-Yang is right. Basic things like shaking the hands loose, gently massaging the back of the hands, and keeping the hands and fingers warm should be more than enough. And of course, stopping (and correcting) if you experience any pain.

My aging hands have played 4+ hour sessions on whistle without the need for post-performance treatment. Guitar, however, is a different story ... :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I'm a relative beginner learning on a low D whistle so the hands have more to do than on a high whistle. After an hour's practice, my hands are getting a little bit tired though not sore; I'd stop If I felt any discomfort. I do have to keep reminding myself to relax my hands. At times, they, like the rest of me, get tense, especially if I'm trying something new or trying to play an extended high A or B.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's true, I think, that the extra weight of a low D can create more of a tendency to grip too hard. So that's something to be conscious of. A good hand position should be just as relaxed and comfortable on a low whistle as on a smaller one.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

My hands are aging too and I just want to look after them. 57 is a little late to be starting on a low whistle though my hands are used to finger-style guitar.
maki

Post by maki »

The advice I've seen that has helped me is to run your hands under very warm water before
and then after playing run them under very cold water.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Maki, thanks for that. Sounds interesting idea.
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

I also was having my hands tighten up playing a low d - now before I start I open and close them a number of times and I do it after each tune. Has worked well for me.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

When you say open and close, I assume you mean stretching the hands when you open them. Thanks for that.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Something that might be of help is to avoid hyper-extending the thumb. whereby it curves sharply back . So rather than using the pad of the thumb behind the whistle try to use the side of the thumb there by keeping it straight. Unless you have thumb holes this wont specifically help with any techniques for the thumb but will support good hand alignment and help avoid strain.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

maki wrote:The advice I've seen that has helped me is to run your hands under very warm water before
and then after playing run them under very cold water.
My version of this is running your hands under hot water, but not hot enough to scald or hurt yourself,
before playing. Don't forget your wrists. Afterwards icing or cold packs. A bowl of of icy water
is a good way to go but I use cold packs. Be careful not to freeze your hands. Again, include
your wrists.

This is standard muscian's practice to avoid injury and dampen inflammation.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

MTGuru wrote:Skirting the edge of our prohibition against medical advice ...
jim stone wrote:This is standard muscian's practice to avoid injury and dampen inflammation.
well then, this isn't medical advice at all, tiz standard musician's practice, but, I would hardly consider myself a musician, yet, I needed this info too. thanks all above
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

I think that you should look for a medical opinion first. Go look for a good Doctor and Take that opportunity to make a check up too :D

Don't take any medicines or lotions for pain muscles before seeing your Phisician

Take care and good Whistling!!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

MarcoTúlio wrote:I think that you should look for a medical opinion first. Go look for a good Doctor and Take that opportunity to make a check up too :D

Don't take any medicines or lotions for pain muscles before seeing your Phisician

Take care and good Whistling!!
Now that is medical advice! :)