Is Tunable Essential?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistle-Insight

Is Tunable Essential?

Post by Whistle-Insight »

Hello,
I recently posted a topic on what whistle I should purchase. Through a tip from my instructor I have decided to look at the Chieftain Suprano D whistle. :) One thing I need to know though, is having it tunable essential? :-? I need to know this because I would rather go with the $90 then the $120 tunable. THANKS AGAIN! -Casey :D
tkelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tunable or no

Post by tkelly »

If you're playing alone, tunable isn't essential. If you're playing with others, it's a lot more important. Some instruments can tune to you if your whistle is out, but many cannot.

Hope that helps,
Tery
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Generally I've found that tunable isn't essential,
even when playing with other instruments, if my whistle
is in pitch externally.
I've played often with guitars, banjos,
fiddles and virtually never have had
to tune an in tune whistle. The exception
is if I'm playing outdoors in cold weather.

If I may add, I like Chieftain
low whistles better than the high D, which I've
found quite shrill and acrid in the upper register.
There are cheaper and, IMHO, better options.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

If you go to a session, the tunable instrument players will have electronic tuners, which is the easiest way for them to get in tune with each other. Therefore, if your non-tunable whistle is in tune to begin with, no problem.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Always go with tunable. There might be the one time your whistle is in tune, compared to the nine times it isn't. Playing in tune is essential. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't play in tune.

JP
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: Is Tunable Essential?

Post by Wombat »

Whistle-Insight wrote:Hello,
I recently posted a topic on what whistle I should purchase. Through a tip from my instructor I have decided to look at the Chieftain Suprano D whistle. :) One thing I need to know though, is having it tunable essential? :-? I need to know this because I would rather go with the $90 then the $120 tunable. THANKS AGAIN! -Casey :D
If that's what a Chieftain is going to cost you, you can get a Burke tunable for $100 without a serious delay. I have no idea why you would go for the Chieftain given this option. The Burke does have a rather pure sound but it's a class act and really wonderfully responsive. I'm assuming Overtons are more pricey but very few, if any, would recommend a Chieftain ahead of thee or several other similarly priced options. Elfsong and Water Weasel are others that come to mind and Sindt if you can find one secondhand and avoid the wait.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Let me, er, "fourth" the recommendation of considering something apart from a Chieftain. I agree with others that Chieftains make very nice low whistles, but a high D Chieftain is a very loud and shrill beast. There are a lot of other nice options in your price bracket that you might consider instead...

Apart from that, unless you know for a fact that you are only going to play alone, my advice would be to always go for a tunable whistle.

:)
Jens
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tunable is generally a good idea. One other advantage is that a 2 piece whistle breaks down into smaller pieces, making them easier to transport.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
serpent

From another maker's perspective

Post by serpent »

The majority of requests I get are for tunable whistles. So much so, now, that the only one I make as a non-tunable is the Village Smithy, and I'm giving some hard thought to offering that option there, too.... nawwww!
Cheers :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I'd say tuneable is essential, except if the whistle is made by a very reputable maker who takes the time to make the whistle in tune.

Personally, I have to have somewhat tuneable b/c of my sensitive ear. I can't stand it if a whistle is a bit out of tune... it's not bad when I'm playing by myself, but if I go to play with a CD or something, and it's out... eeeehhhh.... *shudders* Not fun for the poor audio.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Well, I agree with John Palmer, it seems so obvious to me, but I might be wrong. A whistle will get a lot sharper when getting warmer. Maybe most of the people in here end up playing out of tune without knowing it? Maybe I just have weird whistles. I know that I end up playing out of tune myself very often, and I'm currently working on staying in tune. I test my whistles using my tuner, I also test every notes. I do the tests when the whistles are cold, test again after playing them for a few minutes, and same after half an hour. Sometimes you will notice that you have to blow a few notes harder or softer to get a right-on-spot tuning.

Just keep in mind there are some very good players with a very well developed ear, and you will bother THEM if you end up playing out of tune. I know that someone like StevieJ can detect the slightest tuning "problem". It takes some time to reach that level of "development", that's why Ive bought a tuner, and I would suggest many of you do the same. You can also practice getting in tune by playing a note on a piano (or whatever's in tune) and try to tune your whistle to the note. Then you can test your whistle using a tuner. I'm sure it helps.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

To second Az and John:

I have played with a flutist for years in a duo and there was always the same "ritual." We would tune and begin playing. After the first piece, she would re-tune because her instrument had warmed up.

In the frenzy of Irish dancetunes, I think this step gets missed but it would likely help, especially to the more sensitive ears.

Because I started on non-tweaked cheapo whistles, my ear actually got used to sound of a sharp whistle. When I first got my Burkes, I was confounded that, having tuned them with an electronic tuner, it just sounded wrong. What a predicament!

Always get tuneable.And I tried a tuneable Chieftains E yesterday at Lark In the Morning. The second octave was SO hard to blow to, and when done, was super uneven. I keep thinking I will become such a better player that I can make those whistles work, but no luck so far.

I also played whistles by ? Joseph. Very interesting chiffy tone but still not as even as I like. I am spoiled by Burkes, which I play relentlessly and often. They continue to be even and reliable in the upper register. They never clog and I have not messed with soap or anything in almost a year. Just not necessary. No matter what you ultimately prefer as a whistler, for $100, you cannot go wrong with a tuneable Burke.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

The speed of sound is affected by mainly temperature and also humidity. So, A=440 is not the same at 65 degrees as it is at 70 degrees. If an insturment maker is on top of things he/she will take these factors into consideration when tuning an instrument and adjust the calibration so that the "sweet spot" is acheived precisely at the correct frequency.

So if the the ambient temperature and humidity are different than the standard (where the instrument was hopefully tuned), than tuning is required by the player no matter how precise the maker originally tuned the instrument.

Bottom line is a tuning slide is imperative for in tune playing.

Ronaldo
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Ronaldo,

Thanks for the info, it just confirms what I thought. A whistle is just NOT in tune by default, since it's affected by temperature. It's getting warmer when you play it, getting colder when you don't. Some very good players can tune while they play, just by listening, even if they're slightly out of tune. I wish I could!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Also, even if by some magic fantasy your whistle always was perfectly in tune at A440, if you spend any time at all playing with other people (either live or recorded) you will run into situations were they are not tuned to A440. You will not be very popular if you tell the five fiddles in the session that they're wrong and they should all retune their instruments to be in tune with you.

And there are instruments whose tuning cannot easily be adjusted. Just try telling your concertina player she's 10 cents sharp....