RR 4180, a re-worked Rudall?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

RR 4180, a re-worked Rudall?

Post by radcliff »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1054264012
Seller read its serial no. as 4180
and the pictures show up a nice, bit unusual, RR flute.
I have the feeling that this flute has been reworked (by R&R or by someone else?)
the embouchure looks renewed (or it can be origianly made like this?).
the lip plate band is shorter than the other ones I saw until now.
Barell has both male tennons... the LH piece has a flat extra ring before the head joint.
(maybe the LH tennon was broken and so they fixit this way?).
the Stamp with the Serial no. looks quite hand made...(but pictures are quite low in quality).
the RH piece looks bit brighter than the other parts.
long keys are both very banded... (customed or damaged?)...
Original rudall obviously (?) a good fake or a frank-flute?
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: RR 4180, a re-worked Rudall?

Post by Jon C. »

radcliff wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1054264012
Seller read its serial no. as 4180
and the pictures show up a nice, bit unusual, RR flute.
I have the feeling that this flute has been reworked (by R&R or by someone else?)
the embouchure looks renewed (or it can be origianly made like this?).
the lip plate band is shorter than the other ones I saw until now.
Barell has both male tennons... the LH piece has a flat extra ring before the head joint.
(maybe the LH tennon was broken and so they fixit this way?).
the Stamp with the Serial no. looks quite hand made...(but pictures are quite low in quality).
the RH piece looks bit brighter than the other parts.
long keys are both very banded... (customed or damaged?)...
Original rudall obviously (?) a good fake or a frank-flute?
The Tenon stuck in the barrel is a replacement tenon, when they broke off, they would make a socket in the upper section and install a double tenon, also a ring to prevent the new socket from cracking.
The keys are just bent up some, but look standard.
That is an odd embouchure plate, but it is hard to put those on after the fact, as usually the head joint is in two pieces, with the continuous emb plates..
Stamp looks authentic, the flute is just beat to hell... Makes me thankful for my pristine Rudall... :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

that is an interesting repair if indeed that's what they did.
Just seems that to cut the tenon and re-seat a new socket wouldn't leave as much of the shoulder as is shown.

And if a ring was to shore-up the shoulder strength of the socket, why not use the beaded band (McGee calls them the D shape) used on the other sockets rather than the flat one, which is totally out of sync with the rest of the instrument. And the tenon into the barrel is simply glued into place?

Too, the shank connection to the cups on the long-C and Bb seem to sit higher than the others, or is it just bad perspective? The close-up photo indicates the same thing. Weird.

I've seen disparate wood before among parts of the same Rudall, but never quite as much as this one for a 4xxx series instrument, when much greater care seemed to be given to their construction. And for such a goofed-up serial stamp?

Well, i suspect the proof is in the restoration and playing. We'll learn, I hope, from whomever purchased it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Apart from the (classically! - but easily straightened) bent long keys and the missing foot end ring, I thought it looked in pretty good condition (in need of some tlc and a good clean, but not battered at all), apart from the come-unstuck old upper body tenon repair - and so far as one could see, that wasn't damaged, just needed refixing. I think the flush ring to reinforce the tenon inset makes good stylistic sense - Rudalls didn't have/do adjacent D-section rings save at the tuning slide, where they used narrow ones - and the American flutes I've seen pics of with pairs of broad rings like that look clunky for it. The flush, flat ring retains the original body profile and looks tidy.

I think someone has got a decent bargain at that price. Oh, and David, I don't think the joint colour discrepancy is much more than my own (c 2 years later?) #4683 (of which you have photos ;-))

Here's the next one!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i suspect you're right, Jem, though the discrepancy is often a matter of light in the photo than in reality.
Nevertheless...
I don't disagree on the usefulness of the flat band....just not something I'd seen on a Rudall fix.

That "next one" is that same from before, with differing photos, I believe.
It didn't sell last time, as I recall.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

about "next one", it has been -virtually- mine for 15 minutes as winner of the buy it now.
not enough money to get it this time so.... no comment.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Rudall may have not done the repair, I have had other flutes with the same repair, including a William Henry Potter with a ivory repair ring... Well I have seen flutes in worse shape, so I guess it will come out shinning in the end...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

David Migoya wrote:
That "next one" is that same from before, with differing photos, I believe.
It didn't sell last time, as I recall.
This one or another?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Ant ... 0793050920
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep trees, the "next one" was at the end of Jem's post
jemtheflute wrote:Here's the next one!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Denny wrote:yep trees, the "next one" was at the end of Jem's post
jemtheflute wrote:Here's the next one!
Ah gettin old...
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

David Migoya wrote:That "next one" is that same from before, with differing photos, I believe.
'2 fine cracks from mouthpiece to first joint - we have been told is repairable.'

Have to say I'd have expected photo(s) showing said cracks!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

i wrote the seller requesting photos of cracks (all of them) and photos of the lower toneholes which seem hidden in current photos and asked for the serial no. as well...no reply so far
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like a sweet flute!
Michael Flatley

Jon
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

btw serial is 4664...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

radcliff wrote:btw serial is 4664...
thanks, confirmed by seller: '...The serial number on the flute is quite faint but appears to be 4664. I will try later today to take a few more photos & upload them...'.