In-Law Wedding Drama

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

In-Law Wedding Drama

Post by mutepointe »

My BIL is getting married again. It's just his second. Drama is his essence for being. We just got a phone call from my MIL. His organist may have backed out on him. We're his back up plan. The wedding is Saturday. Plenty of time for this to change a few more times. I'll not make any plans yet. This is just one piece of drama. We live far away so there may be more. I can't get excited. He feeds off the energy.

More to come. I'm sure.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: In-Law Wedding Drama

Post by maki »

Family, whadayagonado?
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'd learn a useful set anyway, if I were you, even if you don't want to contribute to the energy field. Someone as dramaphilic as you suggest your BIL is will probably provide more than 2 opportunities for wedding music.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Kathryn Tickell's "Drop Dead Waltz" is a useful tune for occasions like this one. "Colonel Bogey" is a little obvious.
There was a Band called "Gas Mark 5" used to do a number called "Far from Gruntled", or "The Pissed-off Polka". I've only got it on decayed casette tape, and never found a transcription of it. I regret that...
Possibly other Chiffers may think of appropriate tunes...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

maki wrote:Family, whadayagonado?
Mock them behind their backs with you folks because mocking them to their faces would not help matters.
emmline wrote:I'd learn a useful set anyway.
Thanks. We've had a set since we were youngsters. The Catholic Church, at least here in the USA, has strict guidelines on music at weddings. Pretty much the music has to be in a Catholic hymnal. Disney music is never is Catholic hymnals much to the disappoint of many a bride. The closest thing we have to hip is Paul Stokey's "There is Love."

At the moment, I'm still at a loss at to what song we could possibly do for the Bridal March on a guitar, flute, whistle or ocarina. Folk music rarely jumps to mind for such an occasion.

Update: My BIL can't reach the priest today. Do you think the priest might have the 4th of July off?
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well, I thought you might get the opportunity to do some of the reception, where you would have some scope for tunes of your own preference and experience, but if it's just a church do, then youse are stuck.

What about Handel's "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba"? I bet you could mock up a quick arrangement of that, that would be acceptable.

(I think I saw Aaron Walden do that on Ocarina. I may have just imagined it. It certainly would not be beyond him...)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If I'm going to have instruments, playing at the reception will be required later in the evening. My wife's aunt will play too. I have no clue about the Bride's family. I hope they will.
白飞梦
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

mutepointe wrote:
maki wrote:Family, whadayagonado?
Mock them behind their backs with you folks because mocking them to their faces would not help matters.
Horrified customer: How can you say something like that to my face?

Al Bundy: I'd say it behind your back, but my car's only got half a tank of gas.

-- Married with Children
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The priest called and my wife left a message to return our phone call.

On the drive up, we agreed that I'm not going to do anything. We have a code word and everything. If I look like I'm beginning to become a control freak, my wife is going to offer me one of her mints. Just to show her, I told her that if I passed up a perfectly good opportunity to offer advice or perform any task whatsoever, I'm going to ask for a mint. She thinks there are going to be mints flying like a tornado.
白飞梦
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

mutepointe wrote:The priest called and my wife left a message to return our phone call.

On the drive up, we agreed that I'm not going to do anything. We have a code word and everything. If I look like I'm beginning to become a control freak, my wife is going to offer me one of her mints. Just to show her, I told her that if I passed up a perfectly good opportunity to offer advice or perform any task whatsoever, I'm going to ask for a mint. She thinks there are going to be mints flying like a tornado.
And after the flurry of mints, you can say to her: (drum roll, please)

"We were MINT for each other."

:D
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:On the drive up, we agreed that I'm not going to do anything. We have a code word and everything. If I look like I'm beginning to become a control freak, my wife is going to offer me one of her mints. Just to show her, I told her that if I passed up a perfectly good opportunity to offer advice or perform any task whatsoever, I'm going to ask for a mint. She thinks there are going to be mints flying like a tornado.
I'm guessing that you having the freshest breath at the wedding is not even worth betting on.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cboody

Post by cboody »

Thoughts for music:

One Wife is Enough for Me -- Think about all the ways this can be interpreted.

Or "The Wedding Set:"

Haste to the Wedding
My Wife's a wee wanton thing.
Stool of Repentance.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

cboody wrote:Thoughts for music:

One Wife is Enough for Me -- Think about all the ways this can be interpreted.

Or "The Wedding Set:"

Haste to the Wedding
My Wife's a wee wanton thing.
Stool of Repentance.
You missed the last one in the set:

I Buried My Wife and Danced on Her Grave
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We have to get this marriage to work people.

This is the planned line-up. We still haven't spoken with the priest.
Before Mass, we were planning on playing a few songs to occupy time.
1. Simple Gifts (Quaker Hymn)
2. Where Charity & Love Prevail (by Omer Westendorf and Paul Benoit O.S.B.)
3. I Lift Up My Soul (by Tim Manion)
Processional
The Bride with our suggestion is having a CD Boombox of a Bridal Song that I do not know what she picked. For all the weddings that we have done, I've never done a Bridal March and can't image what would work with an acoustic guitar or simple flute. (I cannot play both at the same time or there would have been possibilities. I had to keep explaining that to my lovely wife.) The song that we had planned and may still be a back-up is Let Heaven Rejoice (by Bob Dufford S.J.)
Responsorial Psalm
Your Love is Finer Than Life (by Marty Haugen)
Offertory
I Have Loved You (by Michael Joncas)
Communion
There is Love (by Noel Paul Stookey)
Recessional
Hymn to Joy (by Ludwig Von Beethoven)

Only Simple Gifts and Where Charity and Love Prevail (and maybe Let Heaven Rejoice) will be on flute. All other songs will be on 12 string acousitc.

I am making steak, mushroom, and cheddar omelets for breaksfast. Cheese Danish was purchased.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cboody wrote:Stool of Repentance.
I dunno about this one. Mainly, the title isn't all that weddingsome. Consider too the fact that I also call it "Montezuma's Revenge".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician