Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:Perfection requires no acknowledgment, I certainly don't seek it.Image
Well, it's fun to try.

Are there special chervil tools?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
dwest wrote:Perfection requires no acknowledgment, I certainly don't seek it.Image
Well, it's fun to try.

Are there special chervil tools?
Nope, just don't confuse it with some other members of the Apiaceae family or you'll see Socrates.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I thought it looked suspicionable.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote:As far as I'm concerned, a poached egg not only smells bad, it has a texture that in comparison makes soft tofu downright palatable.
Then it's not a properly poached egg. White should be solid, yolk perfectly runny.

I'm not a huge fan except in the case of hash. Hash with a poached egg is way better than the sum of hash by itself plus a poached egg by itself.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I cook my eggs on top of the hash in a small cast iron skillet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

All this talk about eggs, someone must own one of these.

Ez-cracker

Why do I have a feeling that it wouldn't work on the quail eggs I see in the grocery store.

One thing that seems to be a trend is making everything run on electricity. There is no reason that my gas stove should not be able to run during a power outage. Knife sharpeners, can openers, thermometers, pepper mills, etc. can now all be found needing batteries or a wall outlet. Some things, like waffle irons, are difficult to find in their nonelectric form. Some things are improvements like the replacement of iceboxes with refrigerators, but others...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:All this talk about eggs, someone must own one of these.

Ez-cracker
Good Heavens! I don't think I have ever seen such a thing.
I.D.10-t wrote: One thing that seems to be a trend is making everything run on electricity. There is no reason that my gas stove should not be able to run during a power outage. Knife sharpeners, can openers, thermometers, pepper mills, etc. can now all be found needing batteries or a wall outlet. Some things, like waffle irons, are difficult to find in their nonelectric form. Some things are improvements like the replacement of iceboxes with refrigerators, but others...
We have an old cast iron waffle maker for our home gas range and a "new"(27 yrs old) Nordicware aluminum one for our "Car Camping" box. Both types are readily available just about any large department store, big box sporting goods store or kitchen supply catalogue.

Years ago I made my own extended use icebox for boating and camping only to discover I could have bought one that would have kept ice as long for about the same cost when factoring in supplies and time.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Yep, Rome makes some cast iron waffle irons and Nordicware makes a lightweight one. Both I often see in the camping section, but I'd venture to say that they are outnumbered by about ten to one by the electric ones. I won't be replacing my Griswold #18 any time soon though.

Here is an odd one for you. Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

mutepointe wrote: As for kitchen tools I can live without, check this (hopefully I didn't miss if anyone already posted it):

As an avid apple eater I not once but twice bought this thing and both times immediately regret it (however cheap were they).

I found it inefficient in getting the job done and unpractical to use.
Also not that easy to clean.

The acid test!
Nanohedron wrote:That's almost attractive.

I don't share Rod's revulsion for eggs, but I do have my limits with them too. As a kid I used to have Mom break the yolks on mine when she was frying them because I couldn't stand even the risk of them being runny. It made me shudder and gag. I'm better about that now, but just barely. I'm not ashamed to admit that I best like my eggs WELL cooked.
The best way to cook an egg is to fry it in bacon fat. Let's get that straight right now.
"Over hard and done to death - please!" was the only way I could get my eggs cooked hard in the U.S.
Us vegematarians prefer Olive Oil... :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

Eeew! That would turn my eggs green. I'll stick with grape seed oil.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The army used some vegetable shorting that made eggs unpalatable to me unless they were overcooked with cheese. It still a reflex to ask for scrambled hard with cheese when asked how I like my eggs, although I do like them the less done when I am at better restaurants.

Recently I went to a restaurant called Hell's kitchen that told me that they don't normally don't make eggs cooked hard, but they could make a special request to the chef. There was a certain tone of the waiter's voice that made it apparent that it was not a desired outcome.

I think there is a slight paranoia in the US about food safety. Bleached vegetables, pasteurized dairy and eggs, meat cooked until thoroughly done, and USDA warnings about undercooked food printed on the bottom of menus. Personally, if I am wondering if the food is safe, I'd probably not eat it regardless of how well cooked, irradiated, bleached, preserved, or otherwise sterilized.
dwest wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:

Eeew! That would turn my eggs green.
Would you eat them
in a box?
Would you eat them
with a fox?

Say!
In the dark?
Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?

Would you, could you,
in the rain?
dwest

Post by dwest »

I like my eggs whipped, surrounding a Pablano pepper stuffed with cheese topped with a mild habanero salsa.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Recently I went to a restaurant called Hell's kitchen that told me that they don't normally don't make eggs cooked hard, but they could make a special request to the chef. There was a certain tone of the waiter's voice that made it apparent that it was not a desired outcome.
There's always a certain existential tension between the service arts and the client, isn't there. On the one hand you are paying your own money - in theory - so at a certain level you should be able to get what you want. On the other hand, finer dining isn't supposed to be about you (never mind that you are expected to swallow something and your wellbeing might be in jeopardy); you are an audience, an initiate into the world of what blossoms out of the inner conceptual roilings and artistic vision of a madman (those of you who have worked in restaurants know fully well what I mean) - which alone should tell you that it's best to sit down, meekly eat what you're served, and if you want to draw attention to yourself, then do it by making appreciative noises. If you are inarticulate, then basic yummy sounds will do.

Still and all, if you're going to set yourself up to be a snooty temple of gastronomy and yet call yourself Hell's Kitchen, you've pretty much cancelled out your street cred from both directions, so rolling some with the tide should never be out of the question.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am sure that they would have filled my request, and if anything it seemed to be a tinge of pride in the way they do things rather than snobbery. Hell's kitchen is it's own type of theater with unique food. Original if not a bit over the top. For example one of their rooms is called The Farside Pub with framed Farside cartoons on the walls. Unlike bellying up to a sushi bar or dining at Manny’s Steakhouse there doesn't seem to be a set protocol for the customers.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Recently I went to a restaurant called Hell's kitchen that told me that they don't normally don't make eggs cooked hard, but they could make a special request to the chef. There was a certain tone of the waiter's voice that made it apparent that it was not a desired outcome.
There's always a certain existential tension between the service arts and the client, isn't there. On the one hand you are paying your own money - in theory - and should at a certain level be able to get what you want. On the other, finer dining isn't supposed to be about you (never mind that you are expected to swallow something and your wellbeing might be in jeopardy); you are an audience, an initiate into the world of what blossoms out of the inner conceptual roilings of a madman (those of you who have worked in restaurants know fully well what I mean) - which alone should tell you that it's best to sit down, meekly eat what you're served, and if you want to draw attention to yourself, then do it by making appreciative noises. If you are inarticulate, then basic yummy sounds will do.

OTOH, if you're going to be a snooty temple of gastronomy and call yourself Hell's Kitchen, you've pretty much cancelled out your street cred from both directions, so rolling some with the tide should never be out of the question.
Interesting theory, not something that has been my experience in finer dining establishments. When I enter a restaurant all the staff there know the experience is going to be about me, unless I hit my head on the door lintel and knock myself out, even then it's still about me...