Why to the right?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Why to the right?

Post by RudallRose »

I've been playing flutes for 36 years (I started on the fife when I was 4)...
and for the life of me can't figure out why we pretty much all hold our instruments to the right?

All other instruments that are held to one side or the other (not including the vertical clarinet-whistle-type instruments) all favor toward the left.

So why in the world are we to the right?

There's no key system that would require it since flutes began as keyless.

many players today (mostly trad) play left or right (though lefties typically will tuck their chin to the shoulder in that "taboo" position that looks so darn ugly)....but the norm is to the right.

I'd agree to the notion that most of society in the day was rightie (or were forced into being so) but then why are violins and guitars not to the right as well? For them it's merely a matter of flipping the strings.

Perhaps it's because flautists typically sit to the left of a chamber, with the instrument ends pointed toward the audience? But that seems to be the result of the instrument, not the other way around.

So, I ask.....anyone have any idea why we're put in the unenviable position of having to twist and tuck ourselves out of the way at a crowded session?
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Why to the right?

Post by Gabriel »

Good question. I recall most medieval iconographic references from asia and europe show flute-like instruments pointing to the left, and ancient references show them pointing right, but nothing seems to be known as to when the change to right being the norm occured...as far as I know, when recorders were the woodwind instrument preferred over the flute, i.e. before the traverso as we know it was invented, many of them had pinky holes on each side of the tube, and the one that wasn't used had to be closed with wax. And the foot joint on traversos always was turnable, so it could be played from both sides. But on the other hand, there are so few left-handed antique flutes around, so the change to playing almost exclusively right-handed must have come before the multi-keyed flutes became common...ah, interesting stuff!
Denny

Post by Denny »

so that it doesn't interfere with yer sword :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Artists choose the side that better fits the painting...

The heart is better protected by the left elbow if the flute is played on the right.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Any kind of attention is better than no attention at all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

the only true anwser could be given by the inventor of the flute....
but I guess that: instruments were not projected for left hand players (not in ancient time) 'cause most of the people
are (and were) right handed.
So, we can assume that the right hand in the flute must do more work than the left hand... (and the same goes for other intruments)
actually, in flutes, the right hand have to keep the flute up all the time, more than the left hand.
I think that the easier explanation... isn't it?
Last edited by radcliff on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Othannen wrote:The heart is better protected by the left elbow if the flute is played on the right.
I do like that!
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

radcliff wrote:actually, in flutes, the right hand have to keep the flute up all the time, more than the left hand.
I think that the easier explanation... isn't it?
I think that's probably correct. The muscles of the dominant arm being more developed, that arm will have more stamina and comfort when bearing the major weight of the distal end of the flute in the extended position without the aid of body support. And that's the right arm for most, if there has to be a standard.

You don't have the same issue with a necked string instrument, since the neck itself actually helps to support the extended arm, while the instrument's main support comes from elsewhere: shoulder, lap, strap, floor peg, etc. And the fine motor requirements of the non-fingering hand might favor the dominant hand/arm in that role.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Interesting question David.

I can't help but wonder if it has to do with writing: In order to take notes, either for composing, during rehearsal, or even a lesson, having the left hand holding the middle of the flute above the keys, of the flute, rather than the end, would allow you to easily move the flute aside grab a pen and write, then continue playing with minimum disruption. Imagine (being right handed), if you held the flute the opposite way from what we normally do - you'd have to hold the flute by the keywork with the left hand in order to grab your writing instrument, or you'd have to switch hands, if you see what I mean. Try doing it 10 times, it's awkward.

Does that make any sort of sense to anyone else or is the lack of sleep catching up with me?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Left hand holds, right hand manipulates.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't think it's to do with holding the flute up. To me, it seems, intuitively at least, simple. It's for the same reason as holding a whistle with the left hand on top. If you are firmly right-handed, try holding a whistle with the right hand on top. Your right hand, and your whole right arm, will fell slightly cramped. You instinctively want your dominant arm to be free to act, and that happens when it's slightly further away from your body, slightly less bent. So, it's better to have your left hand on top. The same applies to flutes. It not only mirrors the 'natural' fingering of a whistle for a right-hander, it also, like the more 'normal' whistle hold, allows the right arm more free rein, which is what our brains seem to require.

Left-handed people are often much more flexible in their handedness than right-handed people, which may explain why it's less of an issue for many of them, and why many can still be comfortable holding a flute the way a right-hander might.

As to the question of why a fiddle is held to the left, that is simple: bowing is an action which requires significant coordination, and even strength, in the whole arm, and it would be much harder for a right-handed person to bow with their left hand, even if they learnt like that from the beginning. The fingering movements in the left hand are, physically, relatively simple movements, and don't require as much movement, strength or coordination as bowing does.
chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chansherly212 »

here's another one.. so that we can tune the instrument with the right hand while playing A, (left hand holds the flute still, right hand adjusts the tuning slide) :D
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Most of the above is true. But it also seems the case that, when keys were first put on the flute, the first key was an Eb - followed by the F natural. Since most players were right-handed the F natural would naturally (sorry) be positioned for a right-handed player. Same with embouchure under-cutting. Since most players were right-handed and held to the right, the left-handed flutes would not be the norm.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

They are anti-Beyonce? :lol:

I think Left handed people like me have advantage on the side blown flute.

When I studied bamboo flute, I automatically grab it with my left hand and do the usual position.

My cousin who is right handed, used her right hand and went to the left, then had a slight difficulty after realizing the wrong position.

I also tried to teach kids the bamboo flute and only one of them got the correct position on the first "I want to blow and yes I am super excited" grab without teaching the proper position.

Apparently she was left handed like me and the rest was right handed.

I guess it is really an instinct that the stronger hand will carry the weights, base on my theory.

On the other hand I am trying to purchase a left handed 4/4 Black violin. But can't seem to find any.

They say, in violins there are only 2 rules.... CONFORM OR DIE..... :P

That is why many left handed people adapt to playing it right handed.

They say, nobody plays a left handed violin in an orchestra....

Well who says I will be on Orchestra hahahaha.... :lol:

I guess with a left hand position you can stab/poke the right handed players.... :poke:

I also read about Jimi Hendrix on wikipedia:

"Jimi Hendrix was naturally left-handed but his father tried to force him to play right-handed because he believed playing left handed was a sign of the devil. "

Such a world full of bias.

My mom forced me to write on my right hand as she believed my penmanship is ugly on the left.... I told her... I am just 5 years old... and school arm chairs are made for right handed persons so my left hand tires easily....

Good thing she did not try tying a rope on my left hand like some mothers/fathers of friends that I know doing that to their child. :(
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Allied to what Ben suggests, would military training (more widespread in earlier times) with shield in left hand and weapon in right hand tend favour a bent left elbow and freer right arm ?