High G Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Poltergeist
antispam: No

High G Whistles

Post by Poltergeist »

Hi everybody!

I just got my first alto G whistle and I love it. But it made me realize that I wish I also had a high G whistle to complement it. I like the sound of my Generation F and G whistles, but while I can play the F whistle without any problems, my fingers get a little too crowded on the G whistle. So are there other options than Generation? Which makers have high G whistles? And which is the one with the widest space between the holes? Can somebody tell me?

Thanks & Danke in advance, Andreas
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: High G Whistles

Post by ecohawk »

I doubt you'll find a high G with better spacing. It's tiny for a reason. :)

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

What eco said. :wink:

The high G is the exception where I recommend playing with arched/curved fingers, so that your fingertips come down onto the holes, instead of flat across. This takes advantage of the narrowing taper of the fingers toward the tips, and gives you a bit more room without crowding. It's still a tight squeeze, though.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Poltergeist wrote:So are there other options than Generation? Which makers have high G whistles? And which is the one with the widest space between the holes? Can somebody tell me?
Ecohawk is right. You can't change the physics. High G whistles are difficult for most of us to finger. The Generation is a bargain too. Mike Burke does offer a high G whistle in either aluminum or brass but is does cost about 30 times what you'd typically pay for a Gen. Glenn Schultz made a few Thin Weasels in high G.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Hey true art hurts. Have you considered shaving the skin and muscle off the sides of your fingers to make them fit better? What about modifying the Chinese foot binding to finger binding to make your fingers more slender? What about bionic attachments a la Edward Scissorhands? There are options don't give up. Once you figure this out, you can work on figuring out why anyone would want to hear a high G whistle being played.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

High G whistles are best played for dogs and bats IMO :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:High G whistles are best played for dogs and bats IMO :)
I've got two ocarinas in G that play an one octave higher than a high G whistle and another that is in C another fourth higher! :D

I've also got a garklein recorder which is in C above the high G whistle. Its finger holes are not in line, but the ones for the left hand are slightly moved to the left and the ones for the right hand are moved to the right. Helps a bit, but of course a garklein recorder is even smaller than a high G whistle, so it still is pretty uncomfortable to play, at least for my fingers. But I bet on a high G whistle this would help.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

I have a Susato G sopranino recorder, which lets me play pipe tunes using something similar to Highland pipe chanter fingering at a volume that will cut through a roomful of fiddles - that is, its fingering mostly matches a sopranino whistle in A. I have fairly average hands for a man and don't have a problem with the spacing. (I have more problem with a garklein recorder but I can manage that with a bit of thought).

I also have a wooden Hopf G sopranino renaissance recorder with a much nicer tone and which can play comfortably up the very top of the standard recorder range. It was originally made for Michael Copley of the Cambridge Buskers. He would occasionally blow it with his nose for theatrical effect.

I don't use either the Susato or the Hopf much any more - a Menaglio soprano G ocarina is even more assertive at the same pitch. The finger spacing for that is a bit wider than the recorders.

I've got a Generation high G. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Cost me 50p and I must have played it for a total of about ten minutes in ten years.
R Small

Post by R Small »

Doesn't Mary Bergin play alot of stuff on the high G?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Poltergeist wrote:I've also got a garklein recorder ... Its finger holes are not in line ... I bet on a high G whistle this would help.
Or you could try:
MTGuru wrote:playing with arched/curved fingers, so that your fingertips come down onto the holes, instead of flat across. This takes advantage of the narrowing taper of the fingers toward the tips, and gives you a bit more room without crowding.
:wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have one of those Glenn Schultz High G whistles and it's a wonder of the woodturner and machinist's art. The walls are amazingly thin. Glenn couldn't find stainless steel tubing with the right dimensions for tuning slides and fittings so he turned and bored his own.
The sound is wonderfully sweet and birdlike, and not at all shrill, believe it or not.
To address the original question, though, the finger spacing is still very tight. Can't mess with physics.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

JackCampin wrote: He would occasionally blow it with his nose for theatrical effect.
I hope you washed it when you first got it! :D
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Maybe find a small child to play the whistle for you, or at least use their fingers to cover the holes.
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

I had the same crowding experience.

If Susato can make keys on a large low whistle to alleviate the reach problem
maybe they can also do on tiny Tin whistle, my imagination is there are joints connected to the small holes and keys are elevated few millimeters. The only problem will be half-holing.

You can also try the O-ring technique that I have been doing.

Simply find an O-ring that is not too tight and not too loose, just enough to narrow your finger and wear one on each of your finger pads near the joint before the second pads. It narrows the finger by a few millimeters.

It looks like a finger belt.

Similar concept like that of a foot binding... but on temporary.

It feels a little stressful though as your blood circulation is affected on your fingers, but i find it effective.

You can also wear thimble on all fingers and remove them before you play. :lol:
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Another approach for more comfortable finger spacing was used by Frans Twaalfhoven for his "piccolino" recorder, in F an octave above a sopranino. He used very steeply angled holes, with the external openings overlapped between the two hands. It had feasible spacing and normal fingering. If it had a two-octave range it might have been the highest-pitched wind instrument ever made.

Twaalfhoven has retired and I don't think anybody else has ever made a recorder that high-pitched, but Giorgio Pacchioni makes an "ocarinetta" in F at the same pitch (range of a tenth, I think).