NPU online instrument registration, yes or no

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

NPU online instrument registration, yes or no

Post by rorybbellows »

There was a discussion in the past about some kind of instrument registration but I cant remember what the general feeling was about such a scheme.
But to be more specific would you think an NPU online instrument registration plan would be a good thing.
Here are some points that may be worth discussing.

1 Would it be a worthwhile project for NPU and what purpose would it serve?
2 Would you register your instruments?
3 How much detail should be asked about each instrument?
4 Should the information on the instrument registration database be available to everyone?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Squeeky Elf

Re: NPU online instrument registration, yes or no

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I think that it's probably worth while given the relative scarcity of the instrument. Particularly in cases of older sets by revered makers of the past. Maybe the whole idea is to gage what's out there? That’s where details could come in handy too, like what condition the sets are in, or who restored them or what have you. I think that the results would be interesting to know, but should be shared in such a way as to keep the owners anonymous. I would have no problem with giving the details of my set providing they don't list my home address, work hours and what kind of treats my dogs like. :D
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I like the idea on some levels, but I know there are a few owners who would not like the specifics of their ownership made public. You would probably get more buy-in if the list was held by, say, NPU, with only one or two people entrusted with the "nuclear codes".

t
amckay

Post by amckay »

I think it is a great idea for NPU and pipers alike. I see NPU's benefit coming from tracking pipes particularly the historical ones. Pipers could use the site to connect with other pipers who they may not have known about, or meet up with pipers during their travels.

A social network approach may work where each user has their own profile where they can populate information on their location (general location, not specific street address!), standard of playing, sets they own and all the information regarding the sets, including pictures. Privacy settings configurable by the user would be a key requirement of course.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Tommykleen, I pretty much agree with your sentiments, and share others privacy concerns as well, but I also see another benefit, if of a slightly darker shade: If stolen, a registered and clearly described/marked set would be much harder to fence, or even take 'round to piping events. A rare, but unfortunate calamity.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

That would be a very positive benefit of such a thing.

T
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Come on lads, are we going to add paranoia to our surly idiosyncrasies . Would a burglar really break into a house just to steal a set of pipes? I've never heard of it happening and most stolen pipes are opportunistic crimes and in alot of cases the pipes have been recovered. After all what can a thief do with a stolen set of pipes, the pipeing community is such a tight knit and honest group that once a recognised set of pipes that have been stolen and come on the market they are reported to the relative authorities and returned to their owner.
But if you were unlucky enough so somehow lose you pipes , a pipes database would certainly help. If you have uploaded photos of your pipes and any special marks or features ,this would help identify them .
But anyway as already said there would be no need to give your actual address ,just a gereral location.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I've heard of at least two instances of pipes being stolen. One, the item was returned. The other, sold, and I think resold, the original owner got a replacement via insurance.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rorybbellows wrote:Come on lads, are we going to add paranoia to our surly idiosyncrasies . Would a burglar really break into a house just to steal a set of pipes? I've never heard of it happening
It has most certainly happened here to a very well-known local piper. The loss would have been devastating if the multiple sets of pipes had not been recovered, as they eventually were thanks to some luck, vigilance on the part of many, and cooperative police work.

Another local piper had his set stolen from his car and never recovered. Car breaks-ins and being followed after gigs are an all-too-common scenario.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

A friend of mine had two sets of highland pipes stolen from his car. One of the sets was a full silver-mounted 1928 Lawrie. Eight years later both sets appeared for sale by a pawn shop on Ebay. The police did nothing because my friend couldn't prove ownership. He ended up working out a decent deal to buy them from the pawn shop. It's possible that a website registration (with photos of the pipes and any unique identifying marks) could have been of help in proving ownership.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
tommykleen

Post by tommykleen »

I should note that some very prominent US insurance companies will not insure your gear if you play in pubs. In the case of some nasty business, some sort of proof-of-ownership/registry would really help out folk who, for whatever rea$on, have not acquired private insurance for their instruments.
t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

I agree that a database registry with photos and descriptions would be very a useful way to prove ownership in case of theft. I'd trust NPU to keep such a database. Given that pipes do change hands with some frequency, however, especially practice and half sets, perhaps it might be a good idea to make the registry renewable once per year, or something. I wonder whether it's possible to microchip a set of pipes?

KAD
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: I bet you could! Though an invisible-ink tattoo or brand might be easier. Anyway, I'd be on board with such a thing. Might help with ebay scams, too. Not sure of the how of it, but we're creative types. Most purebred animals are registered and my pipes cost more than most of my purebred horses ...
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I dont know anything about computer programming or anything like that so I dont know whats possible ,but I was thinking along the lines of each instrument that is registered would have its own file, and each file could only be accessed by the owner of the instrument with a password. So if circumstances were to change with ownership or any modifications to the instrument the file could be updated by the owner or new owner. As suggested certain information on the file could be restricted for the sake of privacy.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .