The despair begins (help a n00b)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Squeeky Elf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The despair begins (help a n00b)

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I just took possession of a used Vignoles practice set! However the reed appears to be a non starter. I can't get it to crow, and it's plastic besides. So where do I go from here? I know that eventually I'm going to have to start making them, but I would like to get something 'workable' a.s.a.p. so I can get used to the bellows, bags and fingerings while I learn to teak and tweeze the demon reed. Amazingly enough Guitar center doesn't seem to carry them, so any help getting a brotha off the ground would be appreciated.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: The despair begins (help a n00b)

Post by PJ »

Where are you located? Find a piper, reedmaker or pipemaker near you and get them to set you up with a playable reed. Failing that, send the chanter to a reedmaker or to Michael V to have it fitted with a playing reed (and a few spares).
PJ
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Could this be of some use:
http://www.howardmusic.co.uk/shop/uille ... /reeds.htm
A ready made reed costs 51 sterling + post or buy a reed that's been started and finish it yourself. Haven't tried them myself but if you're in the sticks somewhere
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

A plastic chanter reed is, by definition, a non-starter.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
kathaleenypoopa

Post by kathaleenypoopa »

Why not contact Michael Vignoles and have him send you a new reed?

K
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Squeeky Elf wrote:However the reed appears to be a non starter. I can't get it to crow, and it's plastic besides.
What tommykleen said. After years upon years of trying, no one has yet made a truly acceptable synthetic chanter reed; even when they work, they just sound wrong. More's the pity for those of us living in highly variable climates.
Squeeky Elf wrote:Amazingly enough Guitar center doesn't seem to carry them...
This is not amazing. If any music shop sold them I would be extremely wary, even dismissive of the product out of hand, without even trying them unless I had the money to throw away just to satisfy my curiosity. Uilleann pipes - proper ones by proper makers - are not that kind of instrument for which you can get a generic utility chanter reed, unlike Highland Pipes which are pretty standardised and basically play only nine notes (and again, I refer to proper sets made by proper makers). There are a host of factors which dictate that uilleann pipe chanter reeds must be custom-made, either by yourself or by a reedmaker who will need to have your chanter on hand to really do the job right. There's really no other way. Anything else is just dumb luck if it works out.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

think he was being sarcastic there, Nano.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Thanks, guys. Mr. Vignoles said that he would be glad to fix me up and that I should send the chanter to him. I’ve been wanting to play the pipes forever so I guess a couple more weeks won’t kill me. I think I’ll go ahead and get a couple of those unfinshed reeds too and see if I can get them in line with the reed he sends back. Man, I thought I had it bad with saxophone reeds! What have I gotten myself into?
kathaleenypoopa

Post by kathaleenypoopa »

What have you gotten yourself into, indeed! Good luck and keep us posted!
K
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:thumbsup: It's a special little hell. Welcome to it. :thumbsup:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

The thing to remember is, for all its complexity, this is a folk instrument. Ordinary people can and do learn to play it, even brilliantly ( most of the greats had/have day-jobs), and even to make or at least maintain their own reeds.

Seek help when you need it (good start on that! ;-), play every minute you can, and before you know it you'll be a competent (if surly) piper, and proud of it!

--Mick
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

WannabePiper wrote:think he was being sarcastic there, Nano.
Oops.

Would it help any if I confessed that I myself checked a music shop or two for the same thing back in the day when I didn't know any better? Eh...probably not...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

mke_mick wrote:you'll be a competent (if surly) piper, and proud of it!

--Mick
I'll never live that "surly" thing down. :)
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Thanks everyone, I’ll let you know what happens. In the mean time I’ve got a gig a a kid’s birthday party blowing up the balloons. Can’t just let my bag and bellows lay around, you know.

Seriously though, I've got a couple of leads on pipers in the area (San Antonio Texas), but I haven't managed to track one down yet.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

More's the pity for those of us living in highly variable climates.
good heavens is that sadly true!!
:boggle: