Keyed flute for jazz.. simple or boehm?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Keyed flute for jazz.. simple or boehm?

Post by cunparis »

I am really loving my first flute, a keyless Copley Delrin with the squared embouchure hole. I'm liking it much more than I thought I would and my low whistles haven't gotten much playing time since I got my flute a few weeks ago.

One thing that I was wanting to do with the whistles was to play jazz & blues. I used to play saxophone so I'd like to be able to play my sax music, which means playing in different key signatures. I've tried half-holing on my low whistles, for example half-holing G to get G# to play in the key of A. But it's hard and other key signatures are even harder if not impossible. If it's possible, either by half-holing or cross fingering, I'd like to keep at it, because I'd like to be able to play jazz without spending a fortune.

So back to flutes.. I was thinking of a chromatic whistle but then I learned that's not really practical due to not being able to use piper's grip and the keys at the same time. But now that I'm learning flute that opens up two other options.

the first is to get a keyed flute. I've spent hours searching the forums so I don't have any questions there - I'm very happy with my copley so if I got a keyed Irish flute I'd get another one from mr. Copley. Only downside is it's expensive and if all this is just to get keys, then why not do option 2, which is to get a boehm silver flute. I don't need a professional one, so $1k will cover it and probably even less. That's less than half the cost of a keyed Copley.

So the main question I have is this: Will it be difficult to switch back and forth between a boehm and my Copley? From what I read the squared ellipse hole of the Copley is similar to the boehm embouchure hole. Is that correct? I don't want to mess myself up by playing two different flutes. I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

If it would be easy to play both, then I'll probably plan on getting a boehm flute. I may be able to pick up a used one even cheaper. They often have used student instruments for sale at the local music school.

On the other hand, if they're quite different and hard to switch between them, then maybe I'll save up for a keyed Copley, which will take a bit longer.

I don't really need the keys for ITM, and I don't really need to sound "Irish", and all this is just for a hobby, so I'm thinking an inexpensive boehm flute would work.

Thanks for your advice.
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Keyed flute for jazz.. simple or boehm?

Post by Gabriel »

I've been trying to play jazz on the wooden flute for a while now and depending on the key signature it works quite well (I play an eight keyed flute). I wouldn't want to do that on a keyless flute just by half-holing though. Half-holing works really well on the whistle if you're practising it a lot, and I do like to play jazzy stuff on the whistle, but on the keyless flute...no thanks.

I think I'd recommend you to get a böhm flute if you don't need/want keys for ITM. The fingering is much like on the sax and if your embouchure on the wooden flute is well developed, you won't have major problems playing the böhm (doesn't work like that vice versa for many people).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Definitely get an inexpensive Boehm flute for jazz. I use my Boehm for other forms I play (classical, klezmer), but the Boehm also works well for playing Irish tunes in keys unfriendly on the keyless, e.g. Dm, Gm, F, Fm, C, Gmix, Bflat minor--you get the point. The Boehm flute is such a relatively easy flute to play compared to the Irish flute, it will respond to just about any good embouchure. Just make sure you get a decent Boehm flute; a really crappy one will not be fun to play at all. I recommend the Yamaha Advantage 200, Yamaha's cheapest student flute. I had one for years and played gigs with it--an awesome flute for the price.
Denny

Post by Denny »

3rd for Boehm

I'd ebay a used one from a reputable seller, closed hole, solid silver
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Why closed hole?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Boehm. eBay.

I see your Ron Burgundy and raise you ...

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
JohnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnB »

Why not stick with the sax for jazz - I prefer the sound of a sax in jazz to a flute.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

JohnB wrote:Why not stick with the sax for jazz - I prefer the sound of a sax in jazz to a flute.
I haven't played my sax in 10 years and when I try I just don't have the embouchure for it. I played sax all through school so I guess I'm just a bit tired of it and really digging whistles & flutes. It's a good question though. I still have my alto and I debate taking a few lessons on that to get back up to speed but it seems if I can just focus on flute I'd make more progress.

PS: Also to get a really great sound on the sax takes a long time and lots of effort. so maybe some laziness there too. Not that a great flute sound is easy, but I'm not so picky on the flute - I'm happy to get any sound. ;)
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Akiba wrote:I recommend the Yamaha Advantage 200, Yamaha's cheapest student flute. I had one for years and played gigs with it--an awesome flute for the price.
Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure what to get so I thought the cheapest "intermediate" flute would be ok.

do you have a model number for the advantage? I found YFL-200AD but it doesn't seem to be available so I'm thinking maybe there is a newer Advantage model.

Thanks
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yamaha makes nice flutes, but their current prices for student flutes are a bit high, IMO - same price range as many intermediate flutes.
Gemeinhart, Jupiter, Armstrong, make decent student flutes that are less expensive - Pearl makes a great student flute, too, for much less than the cheapest Yamaha.

Closed hole/open hole doesn't make a huge difference in playability - if you can play a keyless conical, open holed won't bother you, and there are a few cool things - slides, etc. - you can pull off on them you can't on a closed hole. But when you're looking at student flutes, the difference in price between closed and open for higher-end beginner flutes is significant, and the tone/sound difference is imperceptible. More importantly, the cost of repadding open over closed is significant - some repads of open-holed intermediate flutes are in the same range as a new closed holed student flute. I'm sitting on an intermediate silver flute (yes, it's painful) I can't play, because it needs a repad/overhaul.

If you can find a good music store dealer that sells used flutes in perfect new repad/warranty condition, that's probably going to save you the most - and you may find a good Yamaha that way, too.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Feadoggie wrote:Boehm. eBay.

I see your Ron Burgundy and raise you ...

Feadoggie
sure had a way with album covers :lol:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Boehm system. And if you opt for open holes get an off-set g model. Much easier to play. The inline g open holed flute were made to eliminate a set of posts and a rod. Inlines were cheaper and easier to make.
Last edited by oleorezinator on Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Why play a modern student flute when you can buy something wonderful for the same price?

Maybe the best thing for you would be a wooden conical Boehm system flute, which would give you something of the tone quality that you like now, with the flexibility for different keys. Works for me.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

don't know if Yamaha has a different Advantage model. The Pearl suggestion is also a good one. Gemeinhart and Armstrong are true student flutes--very limiting and not great in my experience.