Favorite Bar or Pub Names?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Post by HDSarah »

Where I did my undergraduate work, there was a pub called the College Inn. Boring, I know. Everyone refered to it as the "C-I", which led to its nickname amongst the philosophy geeks: the Categorical Imperative. I heard that it burned down years ago -- I don't know if they rebuilt it. (Bloomfield might know -- it's in the "Groovy Pioneer Valley" :) )

Sarah
markv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

markv

Post by markv »

A favorite bar of field biologists in Ogallala Nebraska was the "Sip and Sizzle". The town has about 1000 people and the owner would often close whenever he got tired unless students and\or researchers at the biology field station 10 miles away called in and let him know we were coming.

In the town I grew up (Columbus, NE.) had "Ted's Tea Room" which dated back to prohibition times. It also had the oldest bar west of the Missouri, Glur's Tavern. The town was infamous in it's early days due to the high ratio of bars to people. Even now with around 20,000 people there are 90 bars. Back when there were less than half that number of people the number was still close to 90.

Mark V.
PapoAnaya

Bars in Puerto Rico...

Post by PapoAnaya »

Well...

Bars in Puerto Rico are a different world compared on what you can find in Ireland or the US, although you may find live music and food (but always booze). You have to be careful where you go though, some of the places are not that friendly.

Some of my favorites or interesting ones are...

There was this joint near campus called "La Oficina", which means "The Office" some of the people there were, of course, workers that hung out there so they would say "the truth" when asked where they were. (at the office). There is also a bar in New Jersey called "The Office" as well, no relation but I'll bet that the purpose is the same.

Red Baron Pub and El Garabato (the scrible) are very popular joints near UPR@Mayaguez (my alma mater). Near UPR@Cayey (my wife's alma mater) there is one called Fefe's. Students joints are fun to go, but you have to be careful sometimes though.

Cornell Bar is a decaying joint near the Arecibo RadioTelescope. The Arecibo Radio Telescope is funded by Cornell University, no relation to the Bar.

In Old San Juan, two of my favorites are El Batey (Taino name for yard) and Violetas. In Mayaguez, Siglo XX (20th Century) is pretty good.

Regards,

Luis
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

The Olde Ship is a great name for one I go to in Fullerton and Finn McCools is pretty good in Santa Monica
DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

A pub I sometimes frequent called the "Mucky Duck" Needless to say it's next to a farm!
Paul

Post by Paul »

My favorite pubs of all time from my bar-days (late 80's early 90's)...Both here in Atlanta

I used to be a regular in a little Pub called the Churchill Arms. There was always a piano player on Fri and Sat nites who played all these old WWII songs and standards. There is a fireplace and darts, etc... Lots of interesting folks there. Quite a few WWII vets. I heard lots of good stories there in those days. The original owner sold it about 5 years ago, so to me, it's not the same anymore.

There was also an Irish pub called County Cork across the way that was really great. Live music and everything. It would get so crowded you couldn't move but it was great fun. There has been no Irish pub like it here since. That is where I first got interested in Irish Music. They moved it years ago and it went out of business a few years later.

I could usually be found in one or the other on the weekends or stumbling between the two. :lol:
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

If I ever own a bar, highly unlikely, I'd name it MODERATION. That way you could tell people that you only drink in moderation. :party:
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
Caj

Post by Caj »

At my university, there is a bar in the basement of the graduate college called "The Debasement Bar." D-Bar for short. See, it's in the basement and etc etc.

My brother always wanted to open a bar called "Beelzepub." His idea was not for stealing, but HAW HAW, too late!
hank123

Post by hank123 »

The Alibi has always been one of my favorite bar names.
Conley

Pubs

Post by Conley »

My husband has seen two bars (one in Dublin, one in San Antonio, TX!!) with the same name: Dirty Nell's. What a great name for a pub!
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-A combination gas station/eatery in Bayfield, Ontario: "Tank-N-Tummy"
-a little better than another find while traveling: "Squat-N-Gobble"
How appetizing!
rbm

Post by rbm »

ok so it's my fault this started so here are some localish pub's

The Drunken Duck,
The Black Cock ..... Stop that sniggering at the back :D
The Crow's Nest,
The Wheelbarrow,

oh I forgot - The Tinner's Rabbit

This list could go on for quite a while, Dalton-in-Furness, where I used to live (5 miles from where I'am now) used to hold the world record (a long time ago)for the most pubs per square mile of habitation, it was a small mining town but had nearly 100 pubs most are now houses!!

but I guess the most apt for here is of course

The Pig and Whistle, in Cartmel.
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
Turner

Post by Turner »

Pub names in England all run along the same lines, wherever you are in England you can be sure of finding

The Crossed Keys
The Cannon
The Royal Volenteer
The Old House (guess how that name came about?)
The Queen Victoria

A bar where I live(d) in England used to be called the Crooked Spire, on account of it being opposite the Crooked Spire (a Church with a bent spire), then new owners took over and renamed it:

"The Slug and fiddle" For no obvious reasons, but I think its pretty catchy( as long as you dont find any slugs in your pint)
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

When I lived in Ft. Worth, TX I used to go to a pub called The Pig & Whistle. It was started by a guy from the UK who missed home.

I also frequented a bar in St. Louis where they new my name (because I had a mug behind the bar with my name on it!). The bar was called The Boars Nest.

My favorite all time name is one here in Atlanta called The Tongue N' Groove. I've never been in there, but I'm guessing guys are not too welcome. :roll:
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

There's a tendancy in the last 20 years for pubs to get taken over by new management and the names get changed, or they get turned into a "theme" pub. Nobody seems to worry that this is part of our national heritage being chipped away - we have lots of history, but it's not a bottomless well. I'm afraid the popularity of all things Irish, or rather, mock-Irish, is largely responsible. There's a lot of Plastic Paddys in London.

My favourite pub name is one I saw years ago, the "Whodathoughtit?", never seen before or since - maybe I was dreaming.

There's a preponderance of Royal Oaks and King's Heads in the West Country, commemorating the beheading of King Charles I and the legend of King Charles II hiding in an oak tree one night while he escaped the Parliamentary forces.

I really like one off names, so chain pubs all carrying the same name (Slug & Lettuce, Rat & Parrot, All Bar One) turn me off. We used to have a great old pub in Hammersmith called the Old Suffolk Punch (a breed of horse), now called the OSP. Lost all it's charm, and the food and service is still crap.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing