Rudall 3315 on ebay, two headjoints

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall 3315 on ebay, two headjoints

Post by LorenzoFlute »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-RUDAL ... 484546bafe

The patent head is maybe a bit longer?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Gabriel

Re: Rudall 3315 on ebay, two headjoints

Post by Gabriel »

Lovely flute,needs a lot of work,would pay £500 for it now,including special delivery,by paypal,as I need it for myself,and do not want to bid against other enthusiast who also likes this type of flute.I live in London,can pick up tomorrow if it is easier.Thanks
Nice try. :P
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Gabriel wrote:
Lovely flute,needs a lot of work,would pay £500 for it now,including special delivery,by paypal,as I need it for myself,and do not want to bid against other enthusiast who also likes this type of flute.I live in London,can pick up tomorrow if it is easier.Thanks
Nice try. :P
:lol: Well if you don't have the money this is the only way to get a Rudall isn't it :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

A nice example of the square oblong case for the two heads. They didn't make many, but presumably for the Patent Head and the regular head. This one looks to be for sharper pitch in the shorter one or, perhaps, Eb? Monzani often had two headpieces.

I have seen a few where the headpiece is exactly the same length, just one was Patent and the other regular.

Too, they often had the certificate inside the case, beneath the headpieces.

These are actually really cool cases. A great idea, considering what it was designed to carry. I've seen one for boxwood up close and was impressed.

Look like it needs some minor basic work. Should get a very fair price.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Nice one, altough not my favourite style of R&R
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

are the flat key cups normal for this year?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

dunnp wrote:are the flat key cups normal for this year?
They're not cups at all, just round discs, and the pads are (originally, at least) cork. I've seen other examples from the same period - seems they may have been a buyer option or perhaps a specific maker's preference or experiment as normal salt spoon cups with "elastic ball" pads seem to interleave with them in the serial numbers. They work just fine.

Nice attic find!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Some of the flutes with the flat round discs instead of cups are very nice indeed. :)
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Looks like both heads have cracks through the embouchure - the patent head has a very large rupture unless I've mistaken the other head joint for it? Looks like someones been at the patent headjoint at some point judging by the condition of the screw heads. Could be a nice flute though after refurbishing for anyone into old flutes
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:Looks like both heads have cracks through the embouchure - the patent head has a very large rupture unless I've mistaken the other head joint for it? Looks like someones been at the patent headjoint at some point judging by the condition of the screw heads. Could be a nice flute though after refurbishing for anyone into old flutes
Yes, looks like a nice fixer upper, if I had the money and two working arms... :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
daveogden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by daveogden »

I just noticed it's a 7 key, no long F. That would limit its appeal for me, at least as a player, I guess not for Chaz Nicholson!

By the way Jon, nice to see you back, how's the repair to the torn rotator cuff feeling?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh yes. I hadn't spotted that it didn't have a long F.

On Steampacket's point, I can't see any cracks in the patent headjoint, though. Am I just looking in the wrong place? On my PC it looks whole and uncracked (unlike the non-patent head). :-?

Oh, I think I see now. You can't tell which head is which, because the full headjoint isn't in the pictures. So, the PH might be cracked, or maybe not ...
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Ben, if I'm correct, both the heads have a crack. You can notice that the cracks shown are different...
on the PH the crack is wide open and right in the middle of the hole, on the standard head ( from the 1° pic) is less simmetric and not that much opened.
Last edited by radcliff on Sat May 12, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

radcliff wrote:Ben, both the heads have a crack. You can notice that the cracks shown are different...
on the PH the crack is wide open and right in the middle of the hole, on the standard head ( from the 1° pic) is less simmetric and not that much opened.
Yep. I can see it now. Thanks.

Have we had out usual guess the price competition yet? I'm going for £1,800.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

2200 sterling