Would I notice a difference between a Copley and ...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
trekkie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Would I notice a difference between a Copley and ...

Post by trekkie »

I am a fairly new flute player having been learning on a fine Delrin Copley for less than a year now. Actually, I am quite happy with it and have been making far better progress playing than I thought I would. That said, I wonder about some of the other flutes out there. If I were to try a Somers or a Forbes or a Seery how different would it be?
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Would I notice a difference between a Copley and ...

Post by ImNotIrish »

I would imagine you will still sound like you.
Arbo
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

I believe the Copley is based on a Rudall, and both the Seery and Forbes are based on Prattens. I would expect they would have a more reedy, and possible louder, tone than your Copley. The tone holes would also be larger, making the flute a bit more challenging to play, and producing a less crisp sound in articulations and ornaments. Whether you prefer this is a matter of taste. You might find that Pratten flutes shift your playing to a different sort of style.

I don't have any of these flutes, but I have an M&R Rudall copy similar to your Copley, and a Prattenesque Skip Healy. They are very different, and I still don't know which sound I prefer.

-Tom
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

Copley's are a great flute! I have a Eb and it's verrry nice. Just keep working ~ From their website: "Our instruments are tapered bore "simple system" flutes based on originals made in England during the 1800's, with the greatest influence being the flutes made by Hawkes and Son of London. The design has been adapted to give the characteristics sought after by players Irish Traditional Music."

Tjones
Denny

Post by Denny »

:thumbsup: what Tom and Arbo said

I've both Copley & Forbes in delrin.

I'd suggest not bothering with other flutes.

yes, this is a "do as I say, not as I did" :really:

ah, the question ... yeah, I'd hope you'd notice the difference :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

It would probably sound quite a bit different to you and not very different to people listening.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Results might also depend on which embouchure you have - modern or oval.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If it works no need to fix it, and if you do ultimately jump somewhere one day, the place to go is probably a wooden flute
by a good maker, not another delrin flute. I think you would notice the difference.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jim stone wrote:If it works no need to fix it, and if you do ultimately jump somewhere one day, the place to go is probably a wooden flute
by a good maker, not another delrin flute. I think you would notice the difference.
I'd say don't stop at Delrin or blackwood, go all the way to pvc (tongue in cheek).
paddler

Post by paddler »

My first flute was a Copley. I learned to play using it. I liked it, but I started wondering how other flutes would be for me. Mostly out of curiosity I tried a Forbes and quite a few others, including various antiques. I learned a lot in the process, but whatever I played I sounded just like myself! I still have the Copley and I still like it.

So long as the flute is decent quality, which many are, it honestly doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Certainly, the player is what dominates the sound.

I enjoy exploring different flutes, but the more I do it, the more I realize just how good the Copley is. Not only does it sound as good as all the others in side by side tests, but it is also exceptionally easy to play. I think this latter point is very important, especially for a beginner. It allows you to concentrate on the music not the instrument.

I do notice differences between flutes, but they tend to be relatively subtle. Probably the biggest difference I notice is with tone hole size and its influence on the responsiveness of ornaments. My ornaments are not very good, and at my level of proficiency small tone holes do seem to make them noticably crisper. Half holing notes is easier on larger tone holes though. The Copley has medium size holes, and so is a nice versatile compromise.

I have also been surprised to find out how much I enjoy lighter weight flutes. I'd never really considered this an issue before, but I think it is one of the main reasons why I enjoy playing my boxwood Firth Hall & Pond, or my Olwell bamboo. Both feel noticably lighter and more resonant than any of the Delrin or Blackwood flutes.
But in all honesty, I only really need one flute, and no matter what I play I still don't sound like Matt Molloy or Jean Michel Veillon. :swear:

Jon
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jim stone wrote:If it works no need to fix it, and if you do ultimately jump somewhere one day, the place to go is probably a wooden flute
Yep, you'd have to keep swabbing it out and putting it away...

Delrin's great stuff!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

In the words of the great John Skelton, Copley flutes are "vastly underrated." He also stresses not switching flutes; stick with one. You'll progress faster. If you've been playing for less than a year (or even less than a decade) and you have a good flute (which you do), there's no point looking elsewhere. Focus on developing your tone and your rhythm, learning tunes, etc.
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I agree with the above. Here's what I would do if I were you. Keep playing the Copley and start saving now for a wood flute from one of the top flute makers. I bet you're going to want one eventually anyway...no point trying all the plastic flutes when you already have a great one.
-Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Jay wrote:I bet you're going to want one eventually anyway.
Why? (I don't!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Jay wrote:I bet you're going to want one eventually anyway.
Why? (I don't!)
Wondering the same thing here (just bought a Copley delrin keyless).