Favorite Bar or Pub Names?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Favorite Bar or Pub Names?

Post by thurlowe »

I was inspired to ask this question by rbm's post, where he said he'd be spending part of St. Patrick's at a pub called "The Crossed Keys." What a great name.

It's my impression that British Isles drinking establishments have, hands-down, the best monikers. Some of the local bars in my American town are "The Union," "Southtown," "Corner Bar." BOH-ring!

What are some of your favorite bar or pub names? Beyond that, do you have a place to go where "everybody knows your name?" (Doesn't have to be a bar).

Mine would be a place called "Arie's Singapore," where Arie is the Dutch owner and Singapore refers to the mix of British and Asian pub fare.

Hope to hear some great pub names!

Cara
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

A famous parisian pub name just across from the entrance of the main city prison:

The "Ici mieux qu'en face"
(i.e. the Better Here Than Across)

PS: no, it's not my "everybody knows your name" hangout. They had all time to forget me...
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

:lol: :lol:

How colorful! I mean, colourful. I doubt that can be topped.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

I suppose the most colorful one would be where I go for Wed session, the "Bandersnatch" (From the Lewis Carrol poem, Jabberwocky)

Other than that, the Rula Bula is a good one as well.

Aodhan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I can't think of a bar name yet but I love to tell this one about a café.

In downtown Berkeley, near a rapid transit station, is/was (haven't been there in years) a little breakfast place known as "The Terminal Café."

Whilst awaiting breakfast, I just could not stop thinking of possible slogans, like, "You'll eat your last meal, at the Terminal Café!"
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

This is not a pub name but I just read about a mandolin workshop that's going to take place at a B&B called The Artful Lodger.

Steve
Hallatauer

Post by Hallatauer »

I just came back from a week in the Carribean and hit some of the bars on the US and British Virgin Islands. The simple ones were Foxy's (a big raggae hangout) and Ivans, to the more fun Billy Bones and the classic Soggy Dollar Bar. Named such because to get there you moor your boat off shore and swim in so, everyones money comes over the bar wet. Then there is Duffy's Love Shack.

Locally, as in Long Island New York, alot of bars call themselves by Irish names but have no relation to anything Irish except the name. The closest is the Irish Coffee Pub which is owned, operated and bartended by Irish. And the fellow who plays guitar on weekends has a real brough.

<sniffle> I miss Ireland... I need to go back soon.
Dan the Squeaker Extrodinaire
Paul

Post by Paul »

There is a disco-bar here simply called "BAR". No "The" or anything else, just "BAR".
Not all too creative but leaves little to doubt. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

In Minneapolis on Washington avenue is Grumpy's, a bar into which I have not yet stumbled. Annoyingly amusing TV ads, too, with three odd rubbery geezer lush puppets rasping at each other and leering about the premises to the strains of something tremulous and edgy that passes for music. The ads alone make me feel as if I'd already had too much for one night. :party:

Then there's Café Wyrd (now closed, I believe), a hangout for the Gothic set, the selfconsciously bookish, and those of confused sexual orientation. Rumor has it that black attire, at least, was de rigueur. I haven't been there either. :wink:
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

There is a cafe/restaruant at the edge of Cleveland called the Borderline Cafe. The name ostensibly refers to the near-by border between Cleveland and a suburb but it could also easily refer to the customers who frequent the place. Open 24 hours/day.
Mike
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

There is the "Dew Drop Inn" about 30 miles from here out in the boonies. I haven't got a clue as to where their name came from but it always makes me think of the Whitetail deer that are plentiful around here! :o

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Kenith

Post by Kenith »

My favorite is the Blind Tiger in Charleston, SC. It was an old speakeasy from the '20s and pours a great pint of Guiness.

Ken
DanD

Post by DanD »

Used to go to a bar in Bloomington, IL called "The Office". I was young and single then, so I never had reason to call home and say "I'm staying late at "The Office" tonight." :lol:
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The most common Irish pub name of which I am aware is Fiddler's Green. I've seen four of them, all separately owned.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I've always liked the sound of "The Nymph Lode" (for a bar in a hospital district)...

John