I just found out why my whistles are all dented.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AbrasiveScotsman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I just found out why my whistles are all dented.....

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

I often carry some of my cheaper whistles around with me, usually a Clarke original or a Generation. Several of my carrying-around whistles have a small ding in them near the bottom hole. This has been something that was mystifying me - speculatively attributed to one of my kids getting a hold of the whistle when I wasn't looking.

I carry them in a pouch attached to my belt. It is attached by a carabiner so it just swings freely.

I just realised I've been slamming the car door on them when I sit down! :shock:

Fortunately the ding doesn't seem to affect their tone. It's possibly not something that is particularly good for them though, so I probably shouldn't make a habit of it..... :thumbsup:

Makes me want to buy one of those Clare 2-piece deals for carrying about.

Of course I could just unclip the pouch from my belt when I get in the car.

But that solution wouldn't involve buying another whistle :D
Last edited by AbrasiveScotsman on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feadoggie

Re: I just found out why my whistles are all dented.....

Post by Feadoggie »

AbrasiveScotsman wrote:Of course I could just unclip the pouch from my belt when get in the car.
Uhhh....yes. Be glad it wasn't a Sindt or some such not-so-cheapie. I know what that feels like!

A hard cover of some type isn't a bad idea either. It's doesn't take much to damage them and it won't take much to protect them either. Lots of threads here on whistle cases. Simplest, IMO, are the PVC pipe type case (a section of pipe with two end caps, one glued one not) or something like a child's pencil case (the 12-13 inch ones that can hold a one foot ruler). Cheap but effective.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

AbrasiveScotsman wrote:Of course I could just unclip the pouch from my belt when get in the car.
No, no, that's far too easy.

It's apparent that you wear the pouch on the right side of your belt. So you simply need to buy a nice American left-hand drive car, and your problem is solved! I recommend a red 2012 Ford Mustang V-8. If that alone doesn't attract the babes, then once they find out you play the whistle you'll be irresistible. "Hey, you wanna see my pouch?" :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

MTGuru wrote:
No, no, that's far too easy.

It's apparent that you wear the pouch on the right side of your belt. So you simply need to buy a nice American left-hand drive car, and your problem is solved! I recommend a red 2012 Ford Mustang V-8. If that alone doesn't attract the babes, then once they find out you play the whistle you'll be irresistible. "Hey, you wanna see my pouch?" :lol:
you, sir, are incorrigible! but, it should work!

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Is that a Goldie Bass G in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Image <---rimshot
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

MTGuru,

I love ya man... but I have no interest at all in seeing your pouch.

To the OP. The red Mustang is definitely worth a shot but I'd consider a convertible if you want the babes. But then, you could go all the way and get a Vespa with Andrea riding on the back... :D

It helps when tuning your whistle and the dents won't be as obvious.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ecohawk wrote:I love ya man... but I have no interest at all in seeing your pouch.
Honestly, neither does anyone else. Too bad, because it's quite nice. It's rather fuzzy on the outside - a nice suede leather. And it holds my family jewels - rings, watches, that sort of thing.

Don't know what else anyone could be thinking of.

The other solution for Abrasive Scotsman is a kilt and sporran. It's so obvious. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Car doors are the enemy of the woodwind instrument. I lost my best willowflute to a car door. The several pints I had consumed in the folk-club beforehand had nothing to do with it.
These days my willowflutes, whistles, harmonicas, NAFs, bone-flutes and bull-roarers live in a capacious Oxfam bag (black, very stylish). The bag gets placed in the car carefully before the door is shut. It will not happen again.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:The other solution for Abrasive Scotsman is a ... sporran. It's so obvious. :-)
I had been biting my tongue. Think of the cultural fashion statement! Surely he'd have one or two spares lying about the place.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

You could just wear your whistle in it's sheath to the left, in tradition to wearing a sword or dagger. The right hand wips it out from the left side.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

hans wrote:You could just wear your whistle in it's sheath to the left, in tradition to wearing a sword or dagger. The right hand wips it out from the left side.
And then he doesn't have to worry about tuning so much. If you're going to use a whistle in place of a dagger, you'd want it a bit sharp anyway. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

MTGuru wrote:
The other solution for Abrasive Scotsman is a kilt and sporran. It's so obvious. :-)
Aye. When wearing a kilt, any high whistle will substitute for a sgian dubh. No problems carrying a whistle in one's hose anywhere!