Titanic in 3D

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Titanic in 3D

Post by rorybbellows »

Well, with the kids on their Easter break I was dragged along to the see the movie. Its the first time I,d seen a 3D film in the cinema and I was impressed with the quality of the picture and the 3D effect. But after the novelty of the 3D wore off its still the same movie and Kate's boobs didn't look any different in 3D.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

rorybbellows wrote:Well, with the kids on their Easter break I was dragged along to the see the movie. Its the first time I,d seen a 3D film in the cinema and I was impressed with the quality of the picture and the 3D effect. But after the novelty of the 3D wore off its still the same movie and Kate's boobs didn't look any different in 3D.

RORY
Rory, I have to agree. My wife and I went yesterday. There was more uilleann pipe in the incidental background music than I remembered, and I missed dialog as I was listening to the soundtrack. :D

I recently heard the story of Titanic passengers from Addergoole, Co. Mayo. Fourteen left on Titanic from this village, and only 3 survived. This story is more tragic, and much more compelling than the made up romance.
http://www.mayo-titanic.com/The_Addergo ... t.204.html
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Jarlath.I wrote: I recently heard the story of Titanic passengers from Addergoole, Co. Mayo. Fourteen left on Titanic from this village, and only 3 survived. This story is more tragic, and much more compelling than the made up romance.
The village has been putting itself in the public eye as the community with the largest proportionate passenger loss. I suppose Southampton, loosing 549 (mostly crew members) would have a claim in the tragic loss stakes, if they too wanted to make the whole thing into a cultural festival to draw in a few tourists.
My brain hurts

AbrasiveScotsman

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

I was watching the "memorial" in Southampton on the news.

The reporter kept talking about how sombre a day it was, and how it still deeply affected people today. Cue the interview with the grinning woman who said "My great great great grandad was on the Titanic. I never knew him and know nothing about him....... it has affected me deeply". Well diddums - my great great great grandad is dead too.......

The shots of people tossing wreaths into Southampton harbour (also grinning) were accompanied by an audible "wayhay!" in the background.

Seeme more like a fun day out for the family than a memorial. It all seemed grotesque to me - a bit like professional mourners (if you know your bible you know what I mean).

I guess they think grief might be a tourist draw, so they keep stoking it long after anyone with a meaningful emotional connection to the titanic has died.
Last edited by AbrasiveScotsman on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

AbrasiveScotsman wrote:I guess they think grief might be a tourist draw, so they keep stoking it long after anyone with a meaningful emotional connection to the titanic has died.
Grief and victimhood has become a major industry nowadays, with flowers, greeting cards, and teddy bears. I think we should bring back professional keening. At least that was honest.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
AbrasiveScotsman

Post by AbrasiveScotsman »

MTGuru wrote:
AbrasiveScotsman wrote:I guess they think grief might be a tourist draw, so they keep stoking it long after anyone with a meaningful emotional connection to the titanic has died.
Grief and victimhood has become a major industry nowadays, with flowers, greeting cards, and teddy bears. I think we should bring back professional keening. At least that was honest.
I suppose so.

When asked "Why are you singing that sad song?", the answer "Because those folks over there are paying me to" is a heck of a lot better an answer than "I thought it might be a laugh and manufacturing a pretend connection with a long dead ancestor makes me feel important".