Is the pennywhistle your only instrument?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Is the pennywhistle the only instrument you play?

Yes
16%
No (please elaborate)
84%

Total votes: 99

energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

Hmmm. Whistle, I guess. Learning fiddle. Was learning box, but a lack of an instrument has cut that short. (Dare I admit it?) Bodhran, fairly well. I've taken shots at a lot of instruments but haven't really ever put much effort into most of them...I can mess around on simple system flute, and know enough to find my way around a highland pipes chanter. All well, some day I'll master all of the above...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Ok, if you really want to know:

Whistle, Violin/Fiddle, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Barry Sax, Flute, Fife, Viola, Piano, Guitar, Trumpet, & I also know a little about Bassoon and Clarinet. Sometimes I sing too, but we won't get into that... ;)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Re: Shucks!

Post by jim_mc »

madfifer9 wrote:Another fifer comes out of the woodwork, jim mc! I like Civil War era (duh). We have some awesome ancient style drummers in our corps. What do you like to play, jim mc?
madfifer9
Hey MF9! I play both CW and RW music, along with all the stuff in between and even some modern compositions. Also IRtrad, of course. I especially like the Irish influenced hillbilly type American folk music. I play with the Civil War Troopers, who many consider to have the finest drum line in the fife and drum community. Nick Attanasio is our drum instructor, and plays in the line as well. Our fife line, while less experienced, is quickly building a reputation for itself. Bill Hart (of Americlique) is our fife instructor.

I drummed for nearly 30 years, and played the fife only casually. Then a blown rotator cuff forced me to cut back on the drumming and I started getting serious about my fife playing. That was a couple of years ago, and I'm really pleased with the progress I've made. I don't know if I'll go back to drumming with the corps. No sense in lugging one of those heavy ancient style drums around in the heat if you don't have to!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Here's my list:
6 and 12 string guitars, fretted and fretless electric bass, Irish bouzouki, mandolin, saxophones (retired), anglo concertina, piano/keyboards, harmonica, melodica.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Let's see:
Dulcimer
Irish Flute
Low whistle
Penny Whistle :party:
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Lets see, besides the tin whistle I have been picking up the Irish FLute along with it for about 6 months now. I have played saxophone for over 10 years, I have played piano for about 12 years, guitar for about 8 years, french horn for 7, mellophone for about 3 years, and bass guitar for about 9 years. I've played all of these in some form of a band.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Bodhran (own seven)
Whistle
Flute

Just now started learning the guitar.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

My major instrument was alto Sax (I have two!), but I've also played clarinet and flute(have one of each) in pit orchestras, and I used to play piano when I was a kid.

Robin
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Uilleann pipes
Scottish Smallpipes
Northumbrian Smallpipes
Border Pipes
Fiddle
Flute
guitar
mandolin
banjo
bass

It's just a shame that you can only play one at a time.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

I just recently started with the whistle, I'm finding the whole wind instrument thing difficult. Although thats mainly because I am super-addicted to playing the banjo, especially recently.

I do clawhammer banjo mostly, but recently I've been working into some old-time fingerpicking styles like Charlie Poole's. I can play one song slowly Scruggs style and I'd like to learn more of that. But whistle is a fun diversion and I think it has helped train my ear a bit.
Damien

Post by Damien »

the other things i play:

concert flute (haven't played in a few years)
alto, tenor, baritone saxophone (been a while for these too)
recorder (haven't really played this since i got my first whistle)
guitar
bass guitar
marching snare
basic drum set
handbells in elementary school
2-3 months of violin lessons (one day i'll learn to play the cello)
i can play really really basic piano stuff (one day i'll learn more)

to do list (of sorts):

strings, brass, piano, clarinet, oboe, pipes, mallet percussion (i guess the hammered dulcimer would be in this category too? hehe), and basically anything else i can get my hands on
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

1. alto and soprano saxes
2. drums
3. played piano when I was young
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

Irish flute
uillean pipes (learning)
bodhran
guitar (badly)
mandolin (nearly as badly as guitar)

and of course whistles

/Arto
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

Octave Mandola, tuned GDAE - great with Scottish fiddle and pipe tunes in A.
rbm

Post by rbm »

Mandolin - very badly :D
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"