Last of the mohicans abc notation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
retired
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Last of the mohicans abc notation

Post by retired »

I've got an mp3 of the above - no problem with the slow part, but I'm having trouble with the faster fiddle part with all the triplets. I can slow it down with vlc player, but I'm trying to play it with my Gen Bb and it's in a different key. Anyone have the abc notation for it - tia.

http://prostopleer.com/tracks/3498257pkga
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Last of the mohicans abc notation

Post by DrPhill »

Which 'Last of the mohicans'?

The theme "The Gael" for Michael Mann's "Last of the Mohicans" (1992). May be a variant on 'The Kiss'.

But I remember a different tune on the BBC version back when the world was black and white.....

A quick search turned this up on the session..... (Though I reckon Q:200 is a bit high).

T:The Kiss
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:200
K:D minor
~A,3 FED | EDC DCA,|~A,3 FED | EDC DCA,|
~C3 ~E3|G2E EDC|~C3 ~E3|G2E EDC|
~F3 FEF|G2 E EDC|~E3 EDE|G2 E EDC|
DED DCD|FED EDC|DED DCD|FED EDC|
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

It was written by Dougie MacLean, "The Gael"
http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo11103.html
You'll find a link to the sheet music on that page, and more info.
retired

Post by retired »

OK - Just realized I need to play it on my C whistle. So much easier to figure out in the right key. The piece I'm referring to is the 'Gael' as on the mp3 I pointed to in my o.p. The above abc's are, I believe, the slow part . Still I'm having a challenge with all the subtle changes in the rephrasing, a good learning challenge. Thanks gentlemen.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

The abc from thesession.org is not the slow overlaid second voice, but just badly transcribed. The link I gave gets you to the correct sheet music, "the Gael" written as a Scottish march in 6/8 timing, with dotted eights (not triplets). You are right, on the mp3 this is transposed and is best played on the C whistle, and read as for D whistle.

retired

Post by retired »

Thanks Hans - much appreciated. I'm now using the sheet music as if I'm playing an 'A' whistle so I'm starting on the 5th (B) hole and everything is falling into place - Regards.
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

[Thread revival - Mod.]

Modes sometime confuse me, but I think I play this in E Aeolian. Whatever you call it try starting on a the low E and play it with one sharp. I like it lower than starting on the B.
Clark

clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Sorry I couldn't get the actual image to display, but the notes are only one click away.
Clark
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Comes out a bit long on the page, doesn't it? Anyway, here's your image.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

hans wrote:The abc from thesession.org is not the slow overlaid second voice, but just badly transcribed. The link I gave gets you to the correct sheet music, "the Gael" written as a Scottish march in 6/8 timing...
Who'd've thought that they were Scottish. "Last of the McHicans" perhaps?
hans

Post by hans »

clark wrote:Modes sometime confuse me, but I think I play this in E Aeolian. Whatever you call it try starting on a the low E and play it with one sharp. I like it lower than starting on the B.
Yes, it works fine in E minor on a D whistle.
But that image looks like a transposed version of the transcription from session.org, missing out all the Scot's snaps of Dougie's original. Personally I prefer to keep the dotted rhythm of a traditional Scottish 6/8 march.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Dougie has added a second part to it.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

The couple of times when I have seen it being played it was on an Alto F whistle...

Greetings
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
clark

Post by clark »

But that image looks like a transposed version of the transcription from session.org, missing out all the Scot's snaps of Dougie's original. Personally I prefer to keep the dotted rhythm of a traditional Scottish 6/8 march.
Yup I play it with the dotted rhythm too. When transcribing I tend to follow the common practice of not including the dotted eighths and sixteenths for hornpipes and the like even though I play them.
Clark
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:Who'd've thought that they were Scottish. "Last of the McHicans" perhaps?
I'm going to start calling it "The Kiss of the Vampire Gael". It's the tune that refuses to die. :)

Again, folks, there are significant transcription errors in all the above references from Dr. Phill, Hans, and Clark. The Dougie MacLean original fiddle performance on his own recording is about as close as you're going to get to a definitive setting. My transcription adheres closely to this setting.

viewtopic.php?p=1066184#p1066184
clark wrote:Yup I play it with the dotted rhythm too. When transcribing I tend to follow the common practice of not including the dotted eighths and sixteenths for hornpipes and the like even though I play them.
The problem in this case is that not all the triple groups are dotted. Some are, and some are not (basically, the last group of each phrase is not). So unless you notate that explicitly, you're losing a key characteristic of the tune.

Clark, your transposition is to Am/Dor; the original is Dm/Dor, and the other one above is Em/EDor. Am is fine. But you end up with a roll on the (first) C of measure 9, which is very un-flute/whistle-like. C is the one note that is generally not rolled. So you'd have to do something else with it (the second C isn't rolled anyway).

Bm/Dor is another solution. It sits nicely on whistle or flute if you can manage the G#. The D of measure 9 is easily cranned. So:

[K:BDor]|~F3 d>cB|c>BA B^GE|~F3 etc.
Brigitte wrote:The couple of times when I have seen it being played it was on an Alto F whistle...
Sure, playing the BDor setting on an F whistle would put it back in the original key of DDor
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.