Odd News

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Odd News

Post by MTGuru »

That's not really a television. It's a computer monitor. They're watching some guy posting cartoons on the internet.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

rabbit ear wifi :o
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Of course sheep aren't flute players. Here's one of our guys, takes forever to teach them how to read music.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

dwest wrote:Of course sheep aren't flute players. Here's one of our guys, takes forever to teach them how to read music.
I bet his Bach is worse than his Bite-hoven.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

A true southpaw!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

He's a romantic though (despite the apparent period of the drawing) - he left his heart in Spaniel's Harlem.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

dwest wrote:Of course sheep aren't flute players. Here's one of our guys, takes forever to teach them how to read music.

Dogs are the best fifers. No one else can hear whether they're in tune.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

Space Weather: Explosions On Venus

ScienceDaily (Mar. 5, 2012) — In the grand scheme of the solar system, Venus and Earth are almost the same distance from the sun. Yet the planets differ dramatically: Venus is some 100 times hotter than Earth and its days more than 200 times longer. The atmosphere on Venus is so thick that the longest any spacecraft has survived on its surface before being crushed is a little over two hours. There's another difference, too. Earth has a magnetic field and Venus does not -- a crucial distinction when assessing the effects of the sun on each planet.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Thermonuclear Behavior of Unique Neutron Star Captured

ScienceDaily (Mar. 10, 2012) — A neutron star is the closest thing to a black hole that astronomers can observe directly, crushing half a million times more mass than Earth into a sphere no larger than a city. In October 2010, a neutron star near the center of our galaxy erupted with hundreds of X-ray bursts that were powered by a barrage of thermonuclear explosions on the star's surface. NASA's Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE) captured the month-long fusillade in extreme detail. Using this data, an international team of astronomers has been able to bridge a long-standing gap between theory and observation.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Statue, Chapels and Animal Mummies Found in Egypt

ScienceDaily (Mar. 12, 2012) — A wooden statue of a king, a private offering chapel, a monumental building and remains of over 80 animal mummies found by a University of Toronto-led team in Abydos, Egypt reveal intriguing information about ritual activity associated with the great gods.
Denny

Post by Denny »

3-D Printer With Nano-Precision

ScienceDaily (Mar. 12, 2012) — Printing three-dimensional objects with incredibly fine details is now possible using "two-photon lithography." With this technology, tiny structures on a nanometer scale can be fabricated. Researchers at the Vienna University of Technology (TU Vienna) have now made a major breakthrough in speeding up this printing technique: The high-precision-3D-printer at TU Vienna is orders of magnitude faster than similar devices. This opens up completely new areas of application, such as in medicine.
Denny

Post by Denny »

The Darwin-Wallace Mystery Solved: Darwin Vindicated from Accusations of Deceit

ScienceDaily (Mar. 8, 2012) — A National University of Singapore. study has traced historical shipping records and vindicated Darwin from accusations of deceit.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Mysterious hog farm explosions stump scientists

A strange new growth has emerged from the manure pits of midwestern hog farms. The results are literally explosive.

Since 2009, six farms have blown up after methane trapped in an unidentified, pit-topping foam caught a spark. In the afflicted region, the foam is found in roughly 1 in 4 hog farms.

There’s nothing farmers can do except be very careful. Researchers aren’t even sure what the foam is.

“This has all started in the last four or five years here. We don’t have any idea where it came from or how it got started,” said agricultural engineer Charles Clanton of the University of Minnesota. “Whatever has happened is new.”
Denny

Post by Denny »

Bear Grylls sacked by Discovery, 'Man vs. Wild' discontinued

Fearless adventurer and ex-special forces soldier Bear Grylls has been axed by his TV network over a contract dispute.

The 37-year-old rose to fame by being sent into dangerous locations. But the Discovery Channel dropped the British star of survival show "Man vs. Wild" on Tuesday and terminated all current productions with him.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Solar eruption mistaken for refueling UFO spaceship

Telescope images captured of the sun on Monday, March 12, show what appears to be a planet-size shadowy object tethered to the sun by a dark filament. In the image sequence, a burst of brightly lit material can be seen erupting from the sun's surface surrounding the dark object, after which the orb detaches from the sun and shoots out into space.

The footage, a composite of images captured by the Solar Dynamics Observatory and processed by scientists at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, has quickly garnered attention on YouTube, where viewers are suggesting it shows a UFO spacecraft refueling by sucking up solar plasma, or at the very least, the birth of a new planet.